Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Chicago

Moving to Chicago

Old May 26th 2009, 7:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Chicago

Originally Posted by Waza
If i come over for three months in August, how long would it be wise to wait untill my next visit for a couple of months.

Cheers
The general rule of thumb is to spend as much time out as you did in.
It's really too individualized to your entire siutation to say entry is any one way or another.
Every entry is an opportunity to not be let in; that is the border agent's job, to keep people out with a very few exceptions.

Do not move on a non-immigrant visa or VWP. If you want to move here, just get the right visa. It's not rocket surgery, even if it seems like it at first.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:48 pm
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice

Ok cheers for that
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:08 pm
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice

My Fiancee has just started the K-1 Visa application in America, is there anything else that might be an advantage to me to speed things up. She also owns her own major fashion business which i am going to work for, is that also an advantage in the long run. Is there any other things i need to know which might help.

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My Fiancee has just started the K-1 Visa application in America, is there anything else that might be an advantage to me to speed things up.
You can not speed things up. At best, you can be prepared to return the checklist immediately once you receive it. To that end, you should go ahead and apply for your ACPO certificate.

She also owns her own major fashion business which i am going to work for, is that also an advantage in the long run.
No. Whether you work or not is irrelevant.

Is there any other things i need to know which might help.
She can not use "business" income to satisfy either the I-134 or the I-864 requirement. She must use personal funds.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:16 pm
Blue

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can not speed things up. At best, you can be prepared to return the checklist immediately once you receive it. To that end, you should go ahead and apply for your ACPO certificate.

No. Whether you work or not is irrelevant.

She can not use "business" income to satisfy either the I-134 or the I-864 requirement. She must use personal funds.

Ian
She has more than $100,000 in cash in banks, would that help at all.
What is the ACPO certificate
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

The ACPO cert aka the police certificate. http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

It is part of the checklist that you will be receiving eventually, assuming your fiance's petition is approved. If it is approved, a NOA2 will be issued advising this (your fiance will receive this).

The checklist should look something like this http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...ss_K_visas.pdf

Familiarising yourself with the forms needed on the checklist should help you turn it around quickly, once you receive it in packet 3.

The checklist, aka the IV-15 - London, forms part of your notification from the London emabassy, aka packet 3, to start collecting documents. This is the latest version (as at April 2009) of packet 3 http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html

I can't help you with your question about bank cash, someone will be along soon who can though

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 4th 2009 at 2:10 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She has more than $100,000 in cash in banks, would that help at all.
Yes, $100,000 in cash can be used as an asset and should be sufficient.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference: Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My Fiancee has just started the K-1 Visa application in America, is there anything else that might be an advantage to me to speed things up. She also owns her own major fashion business which i am going to work for, is that also an advantage in the long run. Is there any other things i need to know which might help.

Thanks
Yes, I recommend that you read the 2 K-1 wiki entries here at BE: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/
Look in USA + Immigration
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:33 pm
Blue

So many thanks to all of you. It's a minefield lol....
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

W,

Actually, it could conceivably turn out to be detrimental depending on her accounting practices and how her business handles your salary.

If it's a typical small business then her income is what's left over after the business pays it's expenses. Adding you to the payroll would increase business expenses and decrease her income.

On the other hand, you say that it's a "major ... business". If the business pays her a salary then your salary might not affect hers, it will simply reduce the business' profit margin.

When the time comes for adjustment of status the initial I-864 wouldn't include your salary (you shouldn't be working at that time), but a revised one could be submitted at interview time that would include your income along with hers.

Regards, JEff

She also owns her own major fashion business which i am going to work for, is that also an advantage in the long run.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:08 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

My Fiancee has just started the K-1 Visa application in America
Thanks
Might sound picky, but let's get the terms straight. She did not "start the K-1 Visa application." What she is doing is putting together information to petition the US government to allow YOU to apply for a K-1 Visa. She fills out the I-129 F (which is the petition); once that is approved, you are then called for an interview in the UK, at which the visa application is either approved or denied. You've got a lengthy process to get through here, and knowing (and using!) the correct terms when posting and dealing with immigration officials is very helpful.

Good luck!
~SecretGarden
(who is surprised JEff hasn't commented on this yet..... )
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Blue

Ok thanks im dreading it all to be honest
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:18 pm

bah, it's an adventure! Chin up!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:20 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Why? It's a process. You give them what they want, you get what you want. But knowlege is power and knowing what to call what you're doing is important!

Don't crumble; you'll be fine.
~SG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.