Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Charleston SC from the UK. Am I making the right decision?

Moving to Charleston SC from the UK. Am I making the right decision?

Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Missducky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Charleston SC from the UK. Am I making the right decision?

Hi,

New to the forum, I'm looking for some advice on moving to Charleston SC, I'm English and my husband is American. We've lived in UK for the past 7 years, but we're growing increasingly bored and the weather isn't helping matters :-( The school system isn't looking good either. I don't know if I'm making America seem better than it is, but the weather, schooling and social life just look a whole lot more inviting. Are there any Brits that's have moved and feel like it was a good move, or equally did you think it was a mistake. Sorry for rambling, have a toddler hanging off my leg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. X
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Charleston SC from the UK. Am I making the right decision?

Welcome to BE! You'll probably hear a little of both, good and bad. You should do what's right for you.

You'll want to post over in the US Marriage Based Visa forum with any questions about the immigrant visa you'll need in order to move to the USA. If your child is a USC, he/she will need a US passport prior to entering the USA.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Charleston SC from the UK. Am I making the right decision?

US schools in general, and SC ones specifically, don't have a stellar reputation with expats, and July and August in Charleston may find you longing for the rain and cool winds of Britain

I am just to the north, and I prefer here to London, but it isn't universally "better".

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2016 at 3:12 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:10 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

We moved after about eight years of marriage (all in UK).

Motivating factors were looking after a family member on this side of the pond, and to a lesser extent homesickness for my wife and opportunity to try things out in a warmer and different environment.

Making the decision was a very long process of determining what qualifications and experience I would need to have a good shot at providing for the family and settling down (then gaining qualifications and experience).

So far it's worked out and we're glad we made the move.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Missducky
Hi,

New to the forum, I'm looking for some advice on moving to Charleston SC, I'm English and my husband is American. We've lived in UK for the past 7 years, but we're growing increasingly bored and the weather isn't helping matters :-( The school system isn't looking good either. I don't know if I'm making America seem better than it is, but the weather, schooling and social life just look a whole lot more inviting. Are there any Brits that's have moved and feel like it was a good move, or equally did you think it was a mistake. Sorry for rambling, have a toddler hanging off my leg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. X
Just ensure that your husband gets his British Citizenship before you leave if you do decide to go, would make it a whole lot simpler if you decided to come back.
What many people say regarding the two countries, same shit, different bucket.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, there are so many factors, positives and negatives that it really comes down to your needs and wants.

There are things I love, that drive my wife (USC) mad, she seems to miss UK more than me!

I would guess the work/life balance is probably the most obvious change to Brits

The simple answer is there isn't a simple answer!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
.... The simple answer is there isn't a simple answer!
That's easy for you to say.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's easy for you to say.

Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for getting back to me everyone 👍🏼

I've heard the schools aren't that great, and as that's my main concern, it's a bit troubling, but I've looked into some of the Montessori schools and they look pretty good.

My other priorities are weather, as I feel it's much better to be outside than stuck in watching tv, I'm used to extreme heat as I used to live in Indonesia, so that won't be a problem. Really just won't nice bars/restaurants, good social scene.

Do you find its a welcoming town to outsiders?

Thanks again for all the info x
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:40 pm

.... My other priorities are weather, as I feel it's much better to be outside than stuck in watching tv, I'm used to extreme heat as I used to live in Indonesia, so that won't be a problem. ....
Is Indonesia humid though? In Charleston the air is mostly water vapour in July and August.
.... Do you find its a welcoming town to outsiders? .....
I have found The South to be very welcoming, so long as you're friendly and willing to accept "the way things are".

If you start complaining and wishing things were different, e.g. on gun laws and the pervasive influence of evangelical Christianity (FWIW I have been asked just once in thirteen years which church I am a member of), you'll find yourself in the same bucket as the yankees transplants from up north. I can't speak specifically about Charleston though.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2016 at 4:43 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Is Indonesia humid though? In Charleston the air is mostly water vapour in July and August.

I have found The South to be very welcoming, so long as you're friendly and willing to accept "the way things are".

If you start complaining and wishing things were different, e.g. on gun laws and the pervasive influence of evangelical Christianity (FWIW I have been asked just once in thirteen years which church I am a member of), you'll find yourself in the same bucket as the yankees transplants from up north. I can't speak specifically about Charleston though.

I'm not going to turn piers Morgan on anyone, it's not my cup of tea, but like you say you can't move to another Country and start changing it, I also used to live in Saudi so I know more than anyone you can't change an old dog!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 5:04 pm

I'm not going to turn piers Morgan on anyone, it's not my cup of tea, but like you say you can't move to another Country and start changing it, ....
Try telling that to many, possibly "most", of the regular posters here on the US forum.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

New to the forum, I'm looking for some advice on moving to Charleston SC,
It just so happens we moved to Charleston almost 6 years ago now from North East England! I wouldn't move back for anything, although I do miss my grown up kids who are still there. I actually see them more now than I used to when I lived there, through Facetime etc.

The weather generally is glorious, although it does get a little "moist" in the summer! Just starting top warm up again now. Bars and restaurants are top notch and we've never eaten out as much as we do now.

Do you have any idea what part of Charleston you want to be in? We were in an apartment in Summerville when we first moved here and it was really nice, but it turned out to be way too far from work for both of us (My wife works in a hospital downtown and I work on Kiawah Island). We ended up buying a house on Johns Island, but didn't have to consider schools etc like you'll probably have to. We just wanted somewhere nice to live and are completely settled now.

Feel free to shout if there are any questions I can answer for you. There's a private message facility on here if you don't want to make it public.

Good luck and just do it!

Steve
Old Mar 28th 2016, 7:56 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

(FWIW I have been asked just once in thirteen years which church I am a member of.)
If they don't know you, it means either that you have not been saved, or that you've been incorrectly saved and need to be re-saved. Church affiliation, or lack thereof, is thus irrelevant. ;-)
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you and husband currently working in the UK and do you think you a going to be able to obtain jobs easily in the US?

One of my main concerns about moving anywhere (and you have only said that you are possibly bored and the weather is not good in the UK) is leaving well paid unemployment for an unsure future.

No-where is better if you are unemployed and struggling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.