Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving a cat to the USA form UK

Moving a cat to the USA form UK

Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

TheGwilliams is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving a cat to the USA form UK

Hi we've been looking through the forum and couldnt find moving pets to USA....and I'm sure someone has done it. So, my question is...does my cat really need a passport? Just sounds a bit silly. If you have been through this before, can you point me in the right direction, please? There's so many websites out there and way too much info so if anyone can just tell me what they did it would really help and give us a better idea.....THANKS!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:35 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving a cat to the USA form UK

My dog didn't need a passport. We Just put her in a transport box and paid for her.

By the way I'm a rude 18 year old kid today . I demand karma

**edited to be less rude and more truthful**

Last edited by MsElui; Aug 5th 2009 at 7:16 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:38 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
My dog didn't need a passport. We Just put her in a transport box and paid for her.

By the way I'm 18 today <snipped>. I demand karma
You need a good spanking young man not karma. Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Rete; Aug 5th 2009 at 7:50 pm. Reason: edited the trash in the quote
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:38 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kate2112
You need a good spanking young man not karma. Happy Birthday!
Sounds good to me
Thank You
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

By the way I'm 18 today motherf uckers. I demand karma
you can demand what you like mate, you're not getting nowt....... especially a drink...........
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:44 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

Originally Posted by Manc
especially a drink...........
Thats the worst part ! I still have 3 more years !!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be ****ing gutted.

all your mates are getting bladdered at home right now.........

Orange Juice for Steve though........
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:46 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Your Liver will thank you.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:46 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

Originally Posted by Manc
I'd be fucking gutted.

all your mates are getting bladdered at home right now.........

Orange Juice for Steve though........
I know !!!!! I think about that alllll the time
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheGwilliams
Hi we've been looking through the forum and couldnt find moving pets to USA....and I'm sure someone has done it. So, my question is...does my cat really need a passport? Just sounds a bit silly. If you have been through this before, can you point me in the right direction, please? There's so many websites out there and way too much info so if anyone can just tell me what they did it would really help and give us a better idea.....THANKS!
Rules vary by state. When we moved to TX 7 years ago, we needed all the usual shots plus rabies and a vets letter to say that the dog & cats were fit to travel (the letter has to be less than 10 days old I think, but check). The other issue is that unless you are taking a direct flight, you will need to time this carefully. Most airlines don't allow pets in the hold from May-Sept due to hot temperatures on the ground, where the pet could be out in the baking sun on the flight line for a long time. Also you will need a shipping box that is certified to conform to internation pet shipping. The petsmart plastic pet carriers are generally good enough.

- Tim
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

By the way I'm a rude 18 year old kid today . I demand karma

**edited to be less rude and more truthful**
Given for being cheeky
Happy Birthday.

And yes the Cat needs a passport, I'm told it takes ages to do. My sister did two cats and a Dog.
If you search on here for PETS passport scheme you'll probably find something
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i just moved my cat to the states on May 31st

Id recommend getting your cat a pet passport because its proof of the vaccinations your cat has had, and without the proof, your kitty wont be allowed into america!

To start with your cat needs to have a rabies injection (this then needs to be redone every 12 months in the states). (tell your vet you need this and a pet passport so they know from the beginning what it is you require)

4 weeks after the rabies shot your cat needs to go back for a blood test, The vet then sends the blood test away to prove the rabies vaccine is in your cats system.

You go back a 3rd time (2 weeks later) to get the blood results and a complete health check.
The vet will then fill out a pet passport with the results of the blood test, dthe date the vaccine was given, any other vaqccines your cat has had and if he deems your cat fit or not. You'll also get a rabies vaccine certificate. *keep this with your pet passport!!!*

you then needs to see the vet 24 hours before you fly to have another health check, the vet should sign on one of the pages near the back of the pet passport that the animal is "fit to fly"

If you fly with United Airlines you can take your cat in the cabin with you. You can buy a softsided pet carrier from most places for this. (check the airlines website for the diamaters of the carrier (they do allow it a little bigger)) it cost $250 (the same as putting it in the baggage area)

all in all, about 2 months you need to do the whole vet thing, it cost me 60.00GBP for the rabbies shot and another 100.00 for the bloodtest and passport
(plus 14.00GBP for each visit) but each vet may charge diferently.

Once in the USA get your cat heartworm treatment (its a big killer in the usa) and the felina lukemia vaccine (another big killer) also keep your rabies vaccine bosted every 12 months - everytime you get your pet vaccinated against anything take your pet passport and get the vet to sign and date the right boxes in the passport. You need this to prove the cat is fit to fly should you need to go anywhere on the plane again.

Its pointless not having the petpassport tbh. Because you HAVE to have the rabies shot and the blood test, and most of the time they'll give you the petpassport when you go for the blood test results anyway if you ask!

Plus without the petpassport you cannot bring your pet back into the UK/Europe very easily should you need/want to. It would have to be quarantined for 6 months. with the pet passport you dont have to do the qaurantine. (as long as you've kept the rabies shots updated every 12 months and the pet passport says so)
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the cat chipped before moving to the US, it makes moving back easier doesn't it? So the Chip it has can be read in UK.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

oh i completely forgot about that, when you take the cat for the rabies shot get it microchipped too, its a legal requirement like the rabies shot to allow your cat into america!

Edit:as been mentioned to me you do need other things required to get back into the uk. But as you need rabies vaccine to enter the usa and leave again its best to keep it up to date

Last edited by PepsiChic; Aug 5th 2009 at 11:36 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

When we bought our two over in 2005 to PA. We had to have rabies shots and "proof of" for US customs. The Airline wanted to have letter stating that they were "fit to travel" from the vets that was dated a maximum of ten days before the flight and that they were up to date in their normal shots ( the ones that Cattery's normally ask for. They were both microchiped but I can't remember if that was required.

The US has rabies - the UK has the pet passport scheme to prevent rabies...I can't see why the US is bothered if they have a pet passport unless you are planning on going between the us and uk regulary

For the most upto date information - ring the township that you are moving too. I rang west chester before we left and the chap was so helpful. The airline will also tell you want they require (we flew BA).
They were taken from us, before we boarded the plane, were in thier carriers for nearly 12 hours, but they were waiting for us in the luggage area when we came through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.