Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Wikiposts

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Old May 17th 2012, 7:39 am
Mosquito-Bait

teamaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by piercedprincess
No idea how hot the train will be so I'll do that anyway and stick a travel bottle full of water in my clear ziploc bag for her. Can always get some bottled on the plane for her if she runs out. It's a good tip though.
Sounds like a good plan!
Just remember that along with the water you also have those copies handy
Old May 17th 2012, 7:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teamaven
...You can always refill it on the plane with bottled water (don't use the airline water)...
The airline water is literally recycled piss, but it has been purified more than the drinking tap water that comes out of the Thames...
Old May 17th 2012, 10:13 am
Just Joined

minnesotabrits will become famous soon enough

Hi I work for Delta cargo at Heathrow and we ship loads of cats / dogs / birds you name it animal wise to the States, Delta fly to most destinations in the US so might be an option for you, Delta fly from MAN to JFK also,

There is a company called Animalair and the owner is Called Dave Newton if you give him a call 07803 003 481 he can go through everything about moving of your animal price documents etc, he is based on Norfolk/Suffolk border, he is a nice guy,

Or the booking agents for Delta are Airspace and they can also reccomend an agent for your animal and talk you through the details they are in Manchester 0161 498 9090.

A few of the bits I know as I have to check when an AVI (animal) is shipped the Cat will need a vets cert that is no older than 10 days, the animal will be loaded in the front cargo hold cant come in the cabin. Pet carrier needs to be big enough for the animal to stand up and move comfortably around in with two containers for water and suitable bedding, and if possible drill holes in the door so can be sealed ( well thats a Delta requirement ) dont want the cat somehow escaping better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck

Charlie
Old May 18th 2012, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by minnesotabrits
Hi I work for Delta cargo at Heathrow and we ship loads of cats / dogs / birds you name it animal wise to the States, Delta fly to most destinations in the US so might be an option for you, Delta fly from MAN to JFK also,

There is a company called Animalair and the owner is Called Dave Newton if you give him a call 07803 003 481 he can go through everything about moving of your animal price documents etc, he is based on Norfolk/Suffolk border, he is a nice guy,

Or the booking agents for Delta are Airspace and they can also reccomend an agent for your animal and talk you through the details they are in Manchester 0161 498 9090.

A few of the bits I know as I have to check when an AVI (animal) is shipped the Cat will need a vets cert that is no older than 10 days, the animal will be loaded in the front cargo hold cant come in the cabin. Pet carrier needs to be big enough for the animal to stand up and move comfortably around in with two containers for water and suitable bedding, and if possible drill holes in the door so can be sealed ( well thats a Delta requirement ) dont want the cat somehow escaping better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck

Charlie
Gah! Where were you a couple of weeks ago?! We're already booked, confirmed and set to go but everything you've said is really very helpful, thankyou. Hopefully this will help anyone else looking to shift a cat across the pond!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

if anyone's interested:

No issue on the train then at the airport, the agent at the desk said she had to ring her supervisor to let them know we'd turned up with the cat (they knew she was booked on) but the supervisor wasn't around so the agent just sent us on our way. The big, scary-looking bloke who swabbed Oz's bag for dubious substances asked if she was vicious then patted her through the mesh while pulling faces and making baby noises. I froze water for Oz, she didn't drink it but I did accidentally tip it on her as we sprinted through the airport in Holland (someone didn't take the time difference into account when booking the flight with a transfer in Schiphol airport so instead of having an hour, we had ten minutes but only because the plane to Holland was ten minutes early!) Don't worry, I got her more water, right after I had to hold her because security in Holland wanted to scan the bag and there wasn't time to go to a secure room. Once again, thankful that Oz IS the most laid-back cat in the world because she just sat quietly and looked round while I held her and scratched her ears. On the longer flight from Holland to Boston, she sat quietly the entire way and didn't have to get stuffed under the seat since the space next to me was empty so she was allowed to just be on the floor. At the desk where you declare your stuff in Boston, the woman asked if I had a rabies vaccine document, didn't even look at it OR the cat when I said yes and sent us on our way. No vet check or anything.

So KLM are a bunch of useless, lying morons but we already knew that.

On the down side, in Boston I was informed that one of my suitcases hadn't made the transfer and it took them 6 days to get it back to me because once it arrived in Boston, it was accidentally sent to Detroit airport instead of Manchester, NH (about half a country apart, spelt totally different). Apparently it "got mixed in" with the wrong load of bags and no-one noticed. My suitcase is hot pink, so hot it almost glows and has bright, electric blue hibiscus flowers on it, it's visible from the baggage carousel from the opposite end of manchester(UK)'s baggage claim hall! Thought you all might find that funny!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

After all we went through, Ozzy is no longer with us. She had a liver condition that no-one could have know about or done anything to help. My husband rushed her to the vet on Wednesday night but early Thursday morning, the decision was made to put her to sleep. I'm back in the UK so my husband stayed with her and held her at the end, rubbing her head as she purred.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

After all we went through, Ozzy is no longer with us. She had a liver condition that no-one could have know about or done anything to help. My husband rushed her to the vet on Wednesday night but early Thursday morning, the decision was made to put her to sleep. I'm back in the UK so my husband stayed with her and held her at the end, rubbing her head as she purred.
I'm sorry to hear about Ozzy. She's in the kennels in the sky playing with my 'girls' (even though they were dogs ).
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:33 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear your sad news.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Thats awful, am sorry!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:38 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bless her heart and yours, my kitty was flown out by Virgin in June to the UK...no idea what I would do if I lost him, I am so so sorry for your loss
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:42 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news xx
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry to hear about your precious Oz.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou everyone. What upsets me the most is that I wasn't there to say goodbye and hold her as she left the world but at least my husband and mother in law were with her.

She'll probably be asleep on a cloud somewhere or playing with her rattly mouse in heaven's kennels. She was only 4.

My mother in law has said that when I move there, she's going to take us (me, hubby and mini-me) to an animal shelter to pick out 2 cats as our house-warming present. It still hurts to think about but by then I'll hopefully be ready to take in 2 new moggies who need a home.