Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Wikiposts

Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving a cat from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by lib1109
I wish I could just vaccinate him and ship him with the cats!

I like the way you think
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:45 am
Just Joined

MollyandWally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by piercedprincess
Before anyone tells me to go read the government websites etc. I have. It just confused me more.

Right, I'm living in the UK (always have, born here, British passport), husband lives in New Hampshire (NH) USA (always has, born there, US passport) and the plan is for me and my daughter to move there with our cat sometime next year, probably between the end of may and the middle of September if that matters (assuming our documents are all in order by then). We have someone over there who can look after the cat until I get there so that's not a problem but no-one here to do it once we leave so she needs to go before us or around the same time but not after. I'll be talking to the vet sometime soon about anything she needs to be able to travel outside her normal checks and immunisations which are all up to date but our vets are all small, local ones and may not know. I'd like to know ahead of time what we need to do so that we have plenty of time for any documents/quarantines/other such to be done and ready.

Anywho, what I want to know is how to go about getting my cat from here (Leeds, UK) to there (NH) - how long does it take to plan, does she need any documents/immunisations, what happens on the other end, does she have to go by cargo beforehand or can I take her on the plane when we go as a carry-on/hold luggage, if not can my mother in law collect her or does it have to be me, can anyone recommend an airline, is there anything I've missed?

I've seen that she can go from Manchester airport, which is good (also LeedsBradford and Liverpool are nearby if that's a possibility) but I CANNOT get to London. The nearest airports are probably going to be Boston(MA), New York and Manchester(NH but I don't know if they take UK flights or if it would mean 2 planes to get there) but any others nearby are also fine so we're open to suggestions.

I would rather take her with me as carry on if possible unless there is a better way to go about it since I've never moved a pet abroad before.
She's a moggy, mostly british shorthair with a bit of tabby so no breathing issues like with smushed-nosed pets, good health, fairly chilled when she's in her pet carrier.

Has anyone else moved a cat flying from in/around Yorkshire who can share experiences good and bad?

You guys all seem nice and helpful so please don't shout at me for asking stupid questions, I'm just looking for a push in the right direction because right now I'm just bewildered.
I've been going through the same process as you. I'm from Philadelphia, an US citizen and my husband lives just outside Manchester and is an UK citizen. He's moving to the US soon. We're sending out cat to the US within the next couple of weeks. Much to my surprise, it seems as though animals are NOT allowed in the cabin on flights from the UK to the US. Your options are to send the kitty cargo (all airlines that accept pets have a temperature controlled areas of cargo for animals), or take a train to Paris and fly our of there. Small animals that can fit in a carrier under the seat are permitted on the plane from Paris to the US. After looking at all our options we've chosen to go with cargo. We are using a company called James Cargo, who were recommended by Continental Airways. Ray and Julie at James cargo have been extremely helpful. You can reach them at 0161 9461339. I've been told that Continental is one of the best airlines for pets. Although the cost is not cheap, James Cargo gave us the best price by far out of the 4 - 5 companies I called in the UK. They are located in Manchester, so that might be more convenient for you than getting your cat to London too.
As far as shots and certificates go - you do not need a pet passport as you do for European countries. Some US states require rabies injections others don't. Always a good idea to get it and have the certificate when picking up your cat. The last thing you want is to go through the cost and the stress for you cat of getting her to the US only to have her entry denied. We had to wait 3 weeks between the 2 rabies injections. You will also need a certification from your vet within days of your kitty traveling that she / he is "fit to fly". If you do use James Cargo, they will explain all requirements and type of carrier needed.
Best of luck and safe travels to you and your kitty.
Jill
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

piercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant futurepiercedprincess has a brilliant future

Getting the train to Paris might not be such a bad idea, it's years since we've been to France
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Getting the train to Paris might not be such a bad idea, it's years since we've been to France
Much cheaper too. Last time I checked with Air France it was only $100 - $150 to have the pet with you in the cabin. Sending the kitty out of the UK to Newark, NJ is approx GBP 480 - 500.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MollyandWally
Much cheaper too. Last time I checked with Air France it was only $100 - $150 to have the pet with you in the cabin. Sending the kitty out of the UK to Newark, NJ is approx GBP 480 - 500.
Eurostar won't carry pets though.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Ah. That's a bit of a git.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MollyandWally
are you doing cargo with continental from Manchester to Newark then? that could be an option for me as I live in the north and moving to the Philly area soon.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Try Delta or United if you would like to take your cat from the UK to the US in the cabin.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

We usually fly KLM to Holland then Delta to Boston but some say cats can go and some say not in the cabin. Certainly going from Manchester is going on my list of likely options it's only about 40 minutes by train.
Maybe if I sedate Ozzy and dress her up, I could pretend she's my daughter's toy...
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We usually fly KLM to Holland then Delta to Boston but some say cats can go and some say not in the cabin. Certainly going from Manchester is going on my list of likely options it's only about 40 minutes by train.
Maybe if I sedate Ozzy and dress her up, I could pretend she's my daughter's toy...
Call the airline and ask them if you can take your pet in the cabin from Manchester to the US. You have to notify them that you are taking your pet on board (probably at the same time you book your flight)...as they only allow a small number on each flight. I think there is a small charge.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't imagine my cat fitting under a seat in economy to be honest. She is pretty huge, but even so the room under the seat is really small! They would have much more room in a proper carrier in cargo, plus all the advice I have ever read is that when the lights are dimmed in there, they relax a lot more. Can't see that happening in the cabin, on a daytime flight, full of other passengers, for 7-8 hours!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by captainsensible
are you doing cargo with continental from Manchester to Newark then? that could be an option for me as I live in the north and moving to the Philly area soon.
Yes - taking the cat cargo from Manchester to Newark. I also live in Philly and for another GBP 50 - 60 they could send the cat from Newark to Philly. But I want to minimize her travel time and stress so I'm going to pick her up in Newark. This way she has no transfers at all, she gets on the plane in Manchester directly to Newark.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

That sounds like a good plan - although its now United, not Continental. I presume the cargo policy is still the same though.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

I was reading on the Swiss Airlines page, I think they may allow pets in the cabin but I was only half paying attention as that wasn't what I was looking for -info on taking a flight when you're on crutches anyone?!- so I'll try them again nearer the time but as before, the moggy can go before I do if that's going to be easier with the time restrictions because of temperature differences.

We have a more definite timescale now anyway. Visa permitting, we're going to try and time the visa application to be finished for around October next year (in so far as is possible with all their approximate timeframes and general awkwardness in not saying how long it takes).

On a happier note, I'll be visiting hubby again in mid-june and staying long enough to see my first 4th of July. At his uncle's cabin on the lake for grill(bbq) steak and fireworks like some kind of ridiculous stereotype.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

When we returned to the US in Dec. 2011, we drove from Glasgow down to Manchester. We were flying Delta as we wanted to stay away from the cities on the East coast that are habitually colder - Delta had a direct flight from MAN to Atlanta. Delta did not allow cats in the cabin (we have 2). We used a third party company to fly the cats, as due to Delta's requirements for time between flights, our cats actually had to spend the night in Atlanta and then be flown to our final destination. I cannot, for the life of me remember the name of that company right now! Sorry bout that! I think if you give Delta a call (the UK number), they will be able to give you the name and number (as that's how I got the info).

But when we flew the cats from the US to the UK, we used Continental, and also flew into MAN. Due to DEFRA regulations, we had to use a pet importer on the UK side. They were called Pets on Jets, and I do believe they also do exporting. They seemed pretty good to me.

The cost, both ways, wasn't cheap. It cost us about $1700 to fly both cats to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.