Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to CALIFORNIA (LA). Help!

Wikiposts

Moving to CALIFORNIA (LA). Help!

Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to CALIFORNIA (LA). Help!

Originally Posted by woodsey
ffs woman, give the poor bloke a chance to make his own mind up, we live out east too and the smog ain't any worse than it was over Leeds and its been 95 degrees most days this month..
Ok, I suppose coming from there my idea of "beautiful scenery" isn't exactly Corona. But, I certainly am probably in the minority. I do hope you like Corona, Neil. I can say the most positive thing, in my opinion, is their school district. If you've got kids, its about the best there is.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:46 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ok, I suppose coming from there my idea of "beautiful scenery" isn't exactly Corona. But, I certainly am probably in the minority. I do hope you like Corona, Neil. I can say the most positive thing, in my opinion, is their school district. If you've got kids, its about the best there is.
He's single and I don't actually think your post is in English ! but great advice either way
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:50 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
LA is pretty much as expensive as it gets from both a property price / tax and general living expenses (my electric and water bills a month are more than they where for the whole year in the UK, my property tax is nearly 10k per year).
It strange how "down" posters on here are about LA, I think the negative image is a little unjustified, yes the traffic is shite and its pricy but the mountains, beach and desert are certainly more pleasing on the eye than the flat dull landscape of the Midwest or Florida. The weather is great, theres lots to do and if you live a little out of the city, the schools are some of the best in the US. I spend alot of time in St Paul/Minneapolis and know I could buy similar house for half the price but I crave civilization and diversity that is not found in "cities" where the family trees are vertical.
LA is not a great city like Paris or London but is a really fun place to live, I mean where else in the world can you cut Larry King up a Valet parking line ?
I agree with you. LA is a fantastic, exciting place to live. BUT the school system sucks. Look...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually think your post is in English !
Really?

I'm sorry that I've told someone, honestly I might add, how Southern California is. They have very good schools, great locations for going to beaches, mountains, etc. But other than that, I don't see the attraction. I can't understand why anyone would pay a million dollars for an ordinary house because its less than a mile to the beach. There are other things that amaze me as well. I'll just keep them to myself, shall I? I'm extremely happy that you and Woodsey find it a great place to be. I hope you'll always feel that way.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I agree with you. LA is a fantastic, exciting place to live. BUT the school system sucks. Look...

I guess California's school system has changed. But in comparison, Washington is doing better than California. That's good to know.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:59 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I guess California's school system has changed. But in comparison, Washington is doing better than California. That's good to know.
The Californis school system is trading on a a very old reputation.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:02 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Really?

I'm sorry that I've told someone, honestly I might add, how Southern California is. They have very good schools, great locations for going to beaches, mountains, etc. But other than that, I don't see the attraction. I can't understand why anyone would pay a million dollars for an ordinary house because its less than a mile to the beach. There are other things that amaze me as well. I'll just keep them to myself, shall I? I'm extremely happy that you and Woodsey find it a great place to be. I hope you'll always feel that way.
Have to jump in there. It costs more than that to live less than a mile from the beach. But it's worth it! I suppose to those who don't think it is then it's just not for them. But to use who think it's definitely worth it. Then it's for them! Simple really.

Oh, and my sons starts surfing lessons next spring. It's worth it for that alone!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Really?

There are other things that amaze me as well. I'll just keep them to myself, shall I?

That would be a first ! please tell
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:11 am
Account Closed

our schools - not so bad ....

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/ca/1577

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/ca/1578

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/ca/1578
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:22 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

I use that site too and I find the numbers comforting. My son's school has excellent results. But that doesn't affect California's ranking in the country. To say it has some of the best schools in the country is simply not true. In terms of investment and achievement California is lacking. It just means, if you have the choice, then live in an area with good schools. We're lucky we live less than a mile from the beach with very good public schools. So, I guess Cali isn't so bad eh?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have to jump in there. It costs more than that to live less than a mile from the beach. But it's worth it! I suppose to those who don't think it is then it's just not for them. But to use who think it's definitely worth it. Then it's for them! Simple really.

Oh, and my sons starts surfing lessons next spring. It's worth it for that alone!
ahem.
We surf up here, too. And it doesn't cost a mil to live at the beach.

The weather sucks though. There is that.

(did you think you could hide over here, CB? How's that paper coming along? About as well as my project? )
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would be a first ! please tell
I'm a native Southern Californian.....you really don't want me to list all that I like or don't like of the place. Let's leave it at that. I don't have to agree with you and you don't have to agree with me. Right? I mean if I truly thought the place was that hot, we would have moved back there instead of further north to Washington.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

I'm a native Southern Californian.....you really don't want me to list all that I like or don't like of the place. Let's leave it at that. I don't have to agree with you and you don't have to agree with me. Right? I mean if I truly thought the place was that hot, we would have moved back there instead of further north to Washington.

OK lets be positive .. what do you like about Washington ? I assume you left CA went to the UK and came back to Washington ? why ? I'm interested
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:40 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilmorbs
-will i be able to drive of my current liscense? (had it for 5 years, no convictions)
Not sure about 2 years or in LA but I've just found out today that I can drive on my UK license for 1 Year here in Colorado. You need to check with the Department of Motor Vechicles for LA.

Insurance is abit more of a problem some insurers won't quote you and the price is higher than back home.

Progressive Insurance do cover on UK licenses.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
Not sure about 2 years or in LA but I've just found out today that I can drive on my UK license for 1 Year here in Colorado. You need to check with the Department of Motor Vechicles for LA.

Insurance is abit more of a problem some insurers won't quote you and the price is higher than back home.

Progressive Insurance do cover on UK licenses.
So many expats seem to get sucked into procrastinating about getting a US license it's unbelievable!

The license is the standard US ID and will make life much easier for you everywhere (from traveling on a plane to opening a bank account), the test is easy peasy pudding and pie, and your insurance will undoubtedly be more expensive without it. Stop procrastinating and go do it unless visa problems are preventing you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.