Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to CALIFORNIA (LA). Help!

Wikiposts

Moving to CALIFORNIA (LA). Help!

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to CALIFORNIA (LA). Help!

Originally Posted by Mickey Monk
Good luck finding that other bank.

The reasons CA banks require a SS# are:

1: If you earn interest it must be reported on a SS#. There is no excpetion to this.

2: If you bounce checks or otherwise cost a former bank a loss this information is reported on your SS# and your CA Drivers license.

3: Banks require at least one form of US ID. Now you can use a US drivers license as your one form of US ID but to get one you'll need to have a SS# so again you will need a SS# to open a bank account.

4. The aforementioned Patriot Act requires banks to get a SS# for all new accounts.

5. The money laundering act also requires banks to obtain SS#s to aid in tracking money launderers.

If anyone here has opened an account within the last few years without a SS# I want to know what bank that is because I know many Nigerians who would love to do business there!
we opened a bank account in LA and got an horrifically large mortgage with no SS# and no US ID in fact we hadn't even secured our visa's at that stage..they posted everything including our ATM cards to our address in the UK.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
we opened a bank account in LA and got an horrifically large mortgage with no SS# and no US ID in fact we hadn't even secured our visa's at that stage..they posted everything including our ATM cards to our address in the UK.
You go girl!!!

I added my husband's name to my bank account (already established) with no SS# or US ID#, never had a problem. Don't know if it was because it was already an established account or just that it wasn't a problem.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Neilmorbs is on a distinguished road

Hey you lot, thanks for all the replies.

I am sure it'll all work out. I'm flying out next week. One of the main reasons i'm going to this area is for all the climbing, scenery and beaches. And the weather... winter in England is cold and miserable.

Cheers.

Neil.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilmorbs

I am sure it'll all work out. I'm flying out next week. One of the main reasons i'm going to this area is for all the climbing, scenery and beaches. And the weather... winter in England is cold and miserable.

Cheers.

Neil.

Oh I forgot, the smog is particularly lovely in the hot days of Fall.... And if you climb a mountain, you'll be able to see it perfectly in the valley. I miss it already....
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers.

Neil.
Neil good luck ..enjoy ! its a great adventure and get in touch if you need any help - please ignore some of the other idiots that post on here, Corona has pretty good air quality (I was there yesterday !)
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh I forgot, the smog is particularly lovely in the hot days of Fall.... And if you climb a mountain, you'll be able to see it perfectly in the valley. I miss it already....
ffs woman, give the poor bloke a chance to make his own mind up, we live out east too and the smog ain't any worse than it was over Leeds and its been 95 degrees most days this month..
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

That is surprising. Only my husband has SS# and the bank would only deal with him.Getting a mortgage required SS# and they eventually accepted UK credit reports although it was "Computer says no" for a while.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Cheers.

Neil.

This is the first time I have welcomed someone to the site as if I were an old hand. Welcome to the site! You sound young and fancy free and should have a fantastic time here.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
That is surprising. Only my husband has SS# and the bank would only deal with him.Getting a mortgage required SS# and they eventually accepted UK credit reports although it was "Computer says no" for a while.
my husbands employer did guarantee the mortgage though which I assume did have a lot to do with it..About half way through the whole procedure they did halt everything and say the couldn't proceed without a SS# but we just kicked up a fuss and they were fine..they eventually explained that the only reason they require it is to check that you don't have any other outstanding mortgages and as they knew we were new to the country then it wasn't required as it was obvious we wouldn't have other mortgages..I have no idea if this is standard procedure or not.
with regards to the bank account we opened, it was with Wells Fargo, we explained that we were coming to live in America and that was it..
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:51 am
Account Closed

my husbands employer did guarantee the mortgage though which I assume did have a lot to do with it..About half way through the whole procedure they did halt everything and say the couldn't proceed without a SS# but we just kicked up a fuss and they were fine..they eventually explained that the only reason they require it is to check that you don't have any other outstanding mortgages and as they knew we were new to the country then it wasn't required as it was obvious we wouldn't have other mortgages..I have no idea if this is standard procedure or not.
with regards to the bank account we opened, it was with Wells Fargo, we explained that we were coming to live in America and that was it..

Maybe you had more "charms"
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:23 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Woodsey isn't alone.

We got a joint bank account, an initial mortgage and later on a refinance mortage - even though I did not have a SSN at that point.

You need to be persistent and get to know your rights. Accept ahead of time that the people you'll be dealing with know diddly squat about what is and isn't required, and prepare to counter their misinformation with hard facts and polite English manners. Usually works. Not always, but usually
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

. And the weather... winter in England is cold and miserable.
Really? I'd not heard that before.
What visa type was it again?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

we got a bank account no problem without a SS number, but we did get an unbelievably crap interest rate offer on a mortgage. We ended up not getting a mortgage but stayed renting which I now regret as property prices have been rising steadily in my state since we arrived.

Woodsey did you get a descent mortgage interest rate?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ladylisa
we got a bank account no problem without a SS number, but we did get an unbelievably crap interest rate offer on a mortgage. We ended up not getting a mortgage but stayed renting which I now regret as property prices have been rising steadily in my state since we arrived.

Woodsey did you get a descent mortgage interest rate?
4.25% company pay most of it
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

4.25% company pay most of it
lucky blighters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.