Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to California - Housing help please

Moving to California - Housing help please

Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to California - Housing help please

Originally Posted by dc koop
Two cities to avoid renting apartments at all costs. San Bernardino and Pomona. Poor school districts, crime and gang problems. Upland in San Bernardino county is nice but the best area is up in the northern part. A little further west towards L.A are Montclair and Claremont. next to each other. Claremont is a nice college town with a very pleasant downtown area. Claremont would be my choice if I were looking for a place in the Inland Empire
Upland is nice but it's getting a bit far from SB, albeit a reverse commute if normal office hours. We have friends living in Upland that work in the vet hospital in Redlands and it's still a little tiresome a commute for them. But then I re-read OP's post and realised they said "SB county", not the city of! SB county is the largest county in the US, more than double the size of Wales, so OP (DFox), which city is your job in?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

DFox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Upland is nice but it's getting a bit far from SB, albeit a reverse commute if normal office hours. We have friends living in Upland that work in the vet hospital in Redlands and it's still a little tiresome a commute for them. But then I re-read OP's post and realised they said "SB county", not the city of! SB county is the largest county in the US, more than double the size of Wales, so OP (DFox), which city is your job in?
Sorry, my bad. Still getting used to the whole scale of things, currently in Dorset and everything is very close together.

My work is in SB city itself, however we have a young family and, given the other comments, we were planning on being a little further out of the city. We had originally targeted Rancho as somewhere we liked from a safety/family perspective although I appreciate that I'm basing it entirely from online information (not first hand actually looking at areas). I'm happy to have a bit of a commute everyday, would like to keep it under an hour (including traffic).

I hope that this clears up where we are heading. Will have to take a little look at Upland, thanks.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DFox
Sorry, my bad. Still getting used to the whole scale of things, currently in Dorset and everything is very close together.

My work is in SB city itself, however we have a young family and, given the other comments, we were planning on being a little further out of the city. We had originally targeted Rancho as somewhere we liked from a safety/family perspective although I appreciate that I'm basing it entirely from online information (not first hand actually looking at areas). I'm happy to have a bit of a commute everyday, would like to keep it under an hour (including traffic).

I hope that this clears up where we are heading. Will have to take a little look at Upland, thanks.
Ah ok. Upland to SB is about half an hour off peak but an hour is not unusual on a weekday peak, reverse commute or not. Remember that you'd be driving more than in the UK, not just commuting but for virtually anything. Redlands and Loma Linda share the same, good school district and are right next to SB but a lot more upmarket. The closer you get to LA (Upland, Montclair etc) the more expensive living will be. Highland is supposed to be nice but too close to the San Andreas fault for my liking, rational or not

Metrolink have commuter trains but it's nothing like the UK. Half hourly is about your best bet during rush hour but the schedules are incredibly erratic. Delays, especially on the single line sections, can be brutal, making the UK's railways look like a well oiled machine. Yes, I'm a train fan, and still don't recommend it as an option!