Moving to CA on J-1 in summer of 2009

Wikiposts

Moving to CA on J-1 in summer of 2009

Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Wibble Wobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to CA on J-1 in summer of 2009

Hi,

I'm a student (17) in the UK and after my first year at University here I want to spend the summer in the US working. I have applied to BUNAC and am very sure I will get the J-1.

I have always wanted to work in the film industry (and I've learned about it, not just a wannabee actor, I could never act! haha). Obviously, LA is the most important place to be for anyone wanting to work in film. I know it's unlikely, but does anyone here live in LA, or even have a job related to this?

I have a few questions I hope can be answered:
- How much would a typical 'place' (flat I guess) cost to rent per week?
- How much is the average wage, per hour, in any job?
- Will having been to the US on a J-1 increase my chances of getting a permanent visa after graduating in 4/5 years?

Thanks for any help!

Michael

Edit: Should probably say, if McCain becomes President, I'll stay right where I am!

Last edited by Wibble Wobble; Nov 1st 2008 at 3:45 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to CA on J-1 in summer of 2009

Originally Posted by Wibble Wobble
- How much would a typical 'place' (flat I guess) cost to rent per week?
I can answer this one. My husband works in LA (not in the film industry, though). He rents an apartment in West Hollywood (on La Cienega Blvd, between Melrose and Sunset, if you want to look at a map). It's a 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom, small apartment (if I had to guess I'd say around 600 SF). It's not a weekly rental, he signs a year lease at a time, and pays $1,300 a month. From what I can see, for the area where he is, that's a typical monthly rent.

He's self employed over there and has always needed a roommate to make ends meet.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:19 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michael,

I came to the USA on a J-1 visa last summer. I had the opportunity through my university course, although went through a different sponsorship company. However, I hear BUNAC is very good.

I went to Colorado so unfortunately cannot help you with renting/wages in LA.

I'm not sure if obtaining a visa is seen as an advanatge for the future but, for me personally, the experience itself was very valuable. I got a real insight into life in the US, the culture, lifestyle and made many new friends. Travelling by yourself, working and living in a different environment certainly gives you a unique perspective, and lots of aspects to consider for the future, if you decide to try for a career in the US.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have the time of your life!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Wibble Wobble is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both of you for replies.

In the next few days I'll start emailing some companies, asking for a job over the summer. Will post an update if I get any possible offers!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your looking at generally next to nothing to well, no pay, interns generally don't get paid here.

I don't know about movie end of things, but fx and animation studios usually have intern spots going, Nickleodeon, the kids channel have some going now.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about LA but my father was Vice President of a famous film company in London - they used to get so many people applying for work experience etc that they never had to pay anyone for any junior role. So just make sure you factor that in, you may well not get any money for working as an intern as there will be so many others that will happily work for free!

Good luck.