Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Minilove1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Thanks all,
Been put in touch with some forumites on here who have helped with regards my queries, been more than helpful & got me a bit more 'in the know' with regards to what i need to do. Also going to post some bits for me.
Not a move we are taking lightly, by no means think it is going to be 'easy' or 'grass is greener', very aware I cannot work & also aware of how long green cards can take from others that have applied & are still waiting 6/7 years down the line.
This move has been in the making for 2 years now, so, Thank you for all advice & experiences, greatly appreciated.
Kind regards 😊
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Originally Posted by lizzyq
If she is academically advanced I would be even more inclined to have her sit her GCSEs before the move. If you move her 5 months before the exams essentially you are throwing away the work that she has already done without any proof of how well she has performed on those courses. Also should she want to return to the UK for university (my elder son did that and was treated as a home student as we were on a non-immigrant visa, with an expiry date, at that point) having GCSEs can also help. On an H visa she will be treated as an international student by a US university which will probably be eye-wateringly expensive.

Yes it is difficult splitting the family, I know, I was the one "left behind" to deal with all the loose ends of packing up our UK business, home etc, but it is temporary and, in my opinion, the benefits outweigh the temporary losses.
Hi,
Thank you for this, PF has mentioned you and said you would probably post having had similar experiences. I'm grateful for the advice & she has pretty much said the same re:international student status, uni fees, funding unless you are a citizen, getting GC sponsorship in writing etc. This is all stuff that needs to be finalised in the coming weeks for us, total minefield for me & yes, like you, I think I'm going to have to stay & see my daughter through the GCSE's in case the immigration side of things doesn't go to plan(which it often doesn't) in the future.
The mind boggles, doesn't it? It's a whole world of if's, but's & maybe's & i know I have to get as much in writing with said job offer as is possible.
Greatly appreciate your words of wisdom.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by USIOMUS
Hi! I just though I would share a few thoughts with you - we moved our kids when they were 5 and 10. The 5 year old made an almost seamless adjustment (although now she would prefer to move back) but the 10 year old struggled for years with the change. That was 9 years ago, and he's settled at university now, but it was harder than we'd anticipated.

Having said that, if you are thinking of this as a permanent move, I would suggest getting your daughter into a US school as soon as possible. If she moves at 16, she would still be expected to move into a US high school and their curriculum can be very structured and demanding.

We are in the Buffalo suburbs, so I know quite a lot about Buffalo schools. New York is different from most other states in that it requires Regents Exams for graduation. To earn a Regents diploma students take around 5 exams, but that is the minimum. Most colleges would expect an Advanced Regents Diploma which requires 9. You can also earn extra "honors" by taking additional exams in maths and/or science. To give you an example of how this works, my daughter (14, almost 15 and going into her second year at high school) took her first two regents exams in 8th grade (still in middle school). This allowed her to enter high school with 2 high school credits in hand and 2 exams already off her list of 9+. Some of the courses are spread out over two years (social studies and a language for example) with one big exam at the end, while others are single year courses. In addition to these requirements, there are a lot of ways that students can earn university credits while still in high school. They take AP classes (with a big exam at the end - the score on the exam determines whether they get credit or not and varies by college or university). At my daughter's school, you can start taking AP classes in your second year of high school. Additionally, my daughter is interested in engineering. She took part in a "project lead the way" class last year (her first year of high school) and her score on the exam at the end allowed her to earn 3 university credits in introductory engineering. She also takes part in a special math program that is unique to Buffalo. (If you daughter is interested in math, I can give you more information, but she'd have to LOVE math to want to take part.)

All of these types of classes help to build up impressive CVs for students before they start applying to colleges and universities. My daughter's school also has a community service requirement that takes up extra time and students need extra curricular activities if they want to compete for spots at top schools.

If you daughter wanted to go back to the UK to study, keep in mind that there is a three-year residency requirement (the 3-years before she starts). There may be ways around that if you have family there, I don't know. I just know we don't have a way around it, so our kids aren't going back, even if they want to!

Having said ALL of that (sorry, I'm never brief), kids move in and out of schools all the time and I'm sure a school here would work with you on assessing your daughter and working out exactly what she needs to do to meet graduation requirements. I've no idea if they would expect her to take all of the regents exams or if she could use her GCSEs (if she gets them) to test out of some them. I will say the schools try to be helpful, but don't really understand the UK exam system. At 16, even with GCSEs I think she would struggle to find a college or university place - she'd need SATs or ACTs and I suggest those would be easier with a few years of US schooling behind her.

I don't think I've helped at all, but here's one solid piece of advice: The Northtowns get a LOT less snow that the Southtowns. I don't know where your husband will be working, but if possible, settle in the Northtowns and sit back and laugh as the Southtowns get hammered and you get half an inch! (When we were hit with Snow-vember, less than a mile south of us they got 6 feet of snow in like 12 hours. We got a dusting!)

And good luck!
Thank you, I'll be aiming for orchard park area or there abouts I'm afraid, so, maybe, snow will become my friend! Brrrr! We have to go where the work takes us, as I'm sure many before me have done.
Having spoke to others on here, there's a lot still needs to be done re:schooling, for piece of mind for us all.
I'm confident we can get there, I just want to get it done, and tick everything off the list, I'm a bit like that, have the plan, try to implement the plan, get knocked back at every turn, work with new plan! Ha ha!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjmb
I would definitely want PF's advice on this topic as she has a lot of experience on this topic, all be it Texas based. Personally, having brought a daughter over at 15, I would think twice about it as its a very difficult age but it depends on the personality of the child as well. Our 15 year old was a typical teenager who found it difficult to fit in at first but as soon she found her crowd, she was fine. Unfortunately we did not have the good advice of this forum ( this was 17 yrs ago) and getting her previous school work evaluated was difficult to say the least.
We had 3 kids, 11,13 and 15, only the 13 yr old has not done well and to be honest, he would have struggle wherever he was. They were average kids (unlike PF's kids) although I suspect the eldest would have done better if we had stayed in Scotland. The USA system is totally different from the UK and she might be in for a little culture shock.
As I said, wait for PF to get back from her European travels. There is another poster here that also gives really good recent advice to newcomers with teenagers but I can't recall their nickname.
One question, why do you want to come to the USA with all that is going on at the moment? We are rapidly approaching retirement (5 yrs) and seriously considering moving back to the UK, despite all the Brexit stuff. I thought I had settled down here but then last November happened. I am still in shock!
Sorry for late reply, in answer to your question, we are coming due to my husband's career, a move that's been in the offing for 2 years now, what with circumstances, visas and trump slowing things down it has been a long wait! & obviously (politics aside) it matters not who is in power, as this is what we were planning on doing for our future's.
It's a shame it's taken so long is all, as I'd have liked to have got my daughter in the educational system before 15, like what should have happened. Alas, it was not to be! Thank you for your advice though, & yes PF has helped with her insight so I'm grateful for the heads up.
Kind regards
Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Permanent move so unless she is staying behind bite the bullet now.

Presumably this is for a non profit no need to go though the lottery.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Permanent move so unless she is staying behind bite the bullet now.

Presumably this is for a non profit no need to go though the lottery.
Been through the lottery. As far as we were concerned, it was a matter of course before they started processing our application. Hence, apply in april, dont find out til now'ish.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is a done deal and effectively a one way trip then time to move on.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minilove1
Been through the lottery. .....
So was this the first year he entered the lottery, or was the delay in processing the visa that you alluded to earlier, because he failed to get a visa in prior lotteries?
Old Aug 17th 2017, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Minilove does your husband actually have a visa or are you hoping to be successful in the lottery?
Old Aug 18th 2017, 3:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Minilove does your husband actually have a visa or are you hoping to be successful in the lottery?
If I understand post #36 correctly, he applied in April (which certainly is when the applocation window is open) and recently found out that he was successful .... which seems a little late to me, as I thought most people were notified in May.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:48 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If it is a done deal and effectively a one way trip then time to move on.
Timing at this stage is super important.
Those of us that know about the implications are advising that the child finishes GCSE and move over in the summer. This way they will have solid results to show the new school improvingthe chances of gpa credit and suitable class placements.
Solid results to show on future college appplications to demonstrate academic ability in spite of a possibly low gpa.
Joining a class half way through the year at high school level is going to be very difficult for the child to managevas well. Worst case is poor results innew school when they could have hadbgreat gcse results.
Sorry for spelling/grammar errors but using phone keyboard.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Aug 18th 2017 at 8:53 am.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I understand post #36 correctly, he applied in April (which certainly is when the applocation window is open) and recently found out that he was successful .... which seems a little late to me, as I thought most people were notified in May.
That's why I am
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:19 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I heard it is nice. ..... Also that sometimes it snows there!
Is it 'shuffle off to Buffalo' or shovel in Buffalo..
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's why I am
You're notified you get through the lottery earlier, but the petition might just have gotten approved recently.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

So was this the first year he entered the lottery, or was the delay in processing the visa that you alluded to earlier, because he failed to get a visa in prior lotteries?
First year he was entered Pulaski. We were informed by attorney that, that was the process we had to enter into by going on the visa we are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.