Reload this Page >

Moving back from the US to UK

Moving back from the US to UK

Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

GeneGenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back from the US to UK

Hi all,

I'm a UK Citizen and have been working in the US for the last 3 years. I realise I will need to file a tax return in the US this year as I've worked there for part of the year.

After this tax return do I need to file another (as there will be no further income from the US)/ do I need to inform the IRS somehow?

I don't fancy being on the naughty list if I ever want to return for vacation.

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from the US to UK

What visa were you on?
You say you worked here for three years, have you filed three tax returns?

Form 8854 may, or may not, apply to you.

More info please.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I was on an E2 visa and submitted 3 tax returns during my time there. This year would be my 4th tax year.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

E2?
You were an investor, or part of a company on an E2, and now you're leaving?
Do you have a TIN?

I don't think 8854 applies to you then. As it's a non-immigrant visa. You can just leave. But do file your 2018 tax return.

My opinion. Others may advise differently.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 26th 2019 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

I worked for one of the banks out there who supported my visa and have now moved me back to the UK.

Hope that makes sense. I didn't want to be stopped in 5 years time if I ever came for a visit.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds like you're ok.
You've done your tax returns.
That's all that's expected.

(Was there no route to an immigrant visa when you were out? That might have been handy, or is it something you don't care about?)
Old Jan 26th 2019, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be helpful to state the years. See if this is right:
2016 - worked in the USA and filed a 2016 tax return.
2017 - worked in the USA and filed a 2017 tax return.
2018 - worked in the USA and will be filing a 2018 tax return.
2019 - working partial year in the USA, returning to UK in 2019.

You want to know if you should file a 2019 tax return (in 2020) for the partial year in the USA. Correct?

That depends on how long you'll be in the USA in 2019 and how much your US income will be for 2019.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

If you are returning in 2019 you will file a Form 1040-C (a sailing permit) before you leave followed by filing a dual status return for 2019 and an FBAR for 2019 during 2020.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

dunbel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cook_County
If you are returning in 2019 you will file a Form 1040-C (a sailing permit) before you leave followed by filing a dual status return for 2019 and an FBAR for 2019 during 2020.
What if you have already returned? I didn't realise I needed to file a Form 1040-C. Can I still do this since I've left (been almost a year!)? Does my husband need to do this too, even though he was not working the 2 years before we left?