Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving back to the us

moving back to the us

Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

mishmash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving back to the us

I am a us greencard holder, but I don't currently live in the US.

My question is: Does anyone know how I can find out whether my greencard is still valid without flying to the US?

The last time I visited the states was in 2003.

Last edited by mishmash; Jan 25th 2010 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to the us

Originally Posted by mishmash
I am a us greencard holder, but I don't currently live in the US.

My question is: Does anyone know how I can find out whether my greencard is still valid without flying to the US?

The last time I visited the states was in 2003.
Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may lose your permanent resident status (green card) if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law, as described in Section 237 or 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (see the “INA” link to the right). If you commit such an act, you may be brought before an immigration court to determine your right to remain a permanent resident.
Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

* Move to another country intending to live there permanently
* Remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
* Remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
• Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period
• Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Doesn't look too good ah ?

Maybe I could go for a visit to the US and see what happens upon arrival at the airport.

What do you think?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I could go for a visit to the US and see what happens upon arrival at the airport.

What do you think?
You mean a visit using the VWP? Nothing will happen...you'll either be admitted under the VWP, or if the officer thinks you have immigrant intent, he'll turn you away at the POE.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You've been away from the USA for 7 years. Have you maintained ANY ties to the USA? Property? Filed tax returns each year? Banking?

From my layman's point of view, I'd guess you have long since abandoned your PR status...but, that's only for an Immigration Judge to determine.

Even back in 2003, you said you visited the USA. If you are a US green card holder, you are supposed to be living in the USA, not visiting it.

Are you planning to live in the USA again?

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I have been thinking about returning to live in the US, but I know I might not be able to now because I haven't lived there for years.

I am wandering whether to visit first with the intention of showing my greencard at the airport, which is what I used to do whenever I left and came back to the US, to see what happens. The last time I visited the US in 2003 emigrations at the airport asked why I wasn't living there and I said I was studying abroad. No further questions were asked and this was the truth.

Last edited by mishmash; Jan 25th 2010 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:42 pm

Yes, I have been thinking about returning to live in the US, but I know I might not be able to now because I haven't lived there for years.

I am wandering whether to visit first with the intention of showing them my greencard, which is what I used to do whenever I left and came back, to see what happens. The last time I did visit emigrations did ask why I wasn't living there and I said I was currently studying abroad. No further questions were asked and this was the truth.
If you attempt to enter the USA using your green card, the POE officer has to let you in. You will be given an appointment with an Immigration Judge, who will make the determination whether you've abandoned your PR status or not. You will need to show proof that you did NOT intend to abandon your status, and that you've kept up with your ties to the USA while living abroad.

It can take a while (maybe months) to see an Immigration Judge, and you might be spending that time waiting in detention.

If you think you have kept up sufficient ties to the USA, you can try applying for a "returning resident visa" at the US Embassy where you are overseas.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think?
I hate to say it, but you're in attorney territory here. And not just any attorney but one with the specific experience of your particular problem. Check their references well. You should not make any move without such a professional taking every step with you.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you attempt to enter the USA using your green card, the POE officer has to let you in. You will be given an appointment with an Immigration Judge, who will make the determination whether you've abandoned your PR status or not. You will need to show proof that you did NOT intend to abandon your status, and that you've kept up with your ties to the USA while living abroad.

It can take a while (maybe months) to see an Immigration Judge, and you might be spending that time waiting in detention.

If you think you have kept up sufficient ties to the USA, you can try applying for a "returning resident visa" at the US Embassy where you are overseas.

Rene
I haven't kept up anything in the US.

I returned to the UK, because I became a single parent in the US while studying for a degree. I felt it would be easier to complete my degree in the UK where I had family to help out.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your responses and information.

Would you happen to know whether I would need a visa to emigrate to Canada? I have a UK British Passport.

Thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would you happen to know whether I would need a visa to emigrate to Canada? I have a UK British Passport.
That you are a UK citizen is irrelevant. Yes, you must have a visa if you want to live in Canada, or South Africa, or India, or Australia, or indeed, any Commonwealth country.

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you intend to leave your husband and children behind?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That you are a UK citizen is irrelevant. Yes, you must have a visa if you want to live in Canada, or South Africa, or India, or Australia, or indeed, any Commonwealth country.

Except Malta or Cyprus ... these are also in the EU.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Did you intend to leave your husband and children behind?
OP states they he/she is a single parent, if I read correctly.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
OP states they he/she is a single parent, if I read correctly.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...57&postcount=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.