Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Wikiposts

Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Heard yesterday interest rates are historic lows for home mortgages which disagrees with the article...no doubt we're in a recession of sorts because of the gas prices, but aren't they twice that in the UK?
I know where I'd rather be - that's why I'm moving back! I can't afford to buy a home in the UK but in the US I can with ease.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
I'd heard that it was 30 mins from Chapel Hill to RTP. Can the communte at 8am be as long as an hour?? From my research the Chapel Hill school district appears to be the best so for my children that is where I would like to buy a home. What about going the other way around 4.30 - 5pm RTP back to Chapel Hill?
If you're a single parent and have more than two children (I can't remember how many you have), choices of good homes (i.e. reasonable size and suitable neighborhood) may be quite limited unless you can earn a hefty salary.

30 mins between 4.30pm-5.00pm? I'd say you're pushing it. If started before 8.00am and before 4.30pm, you could perhaps do the journey in 30 mins.

Keep an eye on this NC DOT page-
http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/

The stretch of I-40 you'd probably drive on is between Exits 273 and 280.

One in a while I drive from Durham to Cary on I-40 straight after work. This can take between 45 mins to 2 hours and it's only about 11 miles (as the crow flies).
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed this mag at work today. It's for those who want to relocate to the Triangle.

http://www.relocationguide.biz/index.html
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If you're a single parent and have more than two children (I can't remember how many you have), choices of good homes (i.e. reasonable size and suitable neighborhood) may be quite limited unless you can earn a hefty salary.

30 mins between 4.30pm-5.00pm? I'd say you're pushing it. If started before 8.00am and before 4.30pm, you could perhaps do the journey in 30 mins.

Keep an eye on this NC DOT page-
http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/

The stretch of I-40 you'd probably drive on is between Exits 273 and 280.

One in a while I drive from Durham to Cary on I-40 straight after work. This can take between 45 mins to 2 hours and it's only about 11 miles (as
the crow flies).
Thanks NC. I have 2 children so at min will need a 3 bedroom home. I have started working with a realtor and feel confident that I can afford a home that will be adequate in Chapel Hill.

I know that school starts at 7.50am so I'd start my journey then and hopefully arrive for 8.30am. Do you think they will do anything about the congestion on I-40??
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

A friend of mine lives in Elon, NC, which is about 40 miles away from the triangle. It's a nice small town and seems very affordable. Good schools, amenities, etc. Good luck!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:52 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Oh I know immediatley that it would be much harder to return if I had left it longer than a year after moving back. At the time when I obtained my citizenship, I never thought that I'd be moving back and going through all of this, but here I am! Thank god for dual nationality.
Absolutely......dual cit is the best insurance policy you can have.

..........and thats all it is........an insurance policy.

Good luck in NC

PS: ..........went for a drive the other day and after getting intentionally lost - ended up in NC Very pretty.......very Southern.