Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to another state while waiting for AOS interview

Moving to another state while waiting for AOS interview

Old Aug 10th 2001, 12:40 am
Selin Hall

Hey Gang, I know what you all are thinking, it's not a smart thing to do. But you
see, the current town (in KY) I and my husband are living in is not a good market for
my profession and I really want to recharge my career, now that I got my working
authorization. So because of all this, I recently accepted a job offer in another
state (NC) and my husband is 100% supportive of my decision. One problem is, when we
filed my I-485 (we already had our I-130 approved at the time, so this is just I-485
and they already got my fingerprints and everything) they told us that it would be 3
to 5 months before our interview because that's how long it takes for FBI to send
clearance to the INS office. Everybody says Charlotte Office is not one of the
hardest working INS offices in the country (that's the office we would be under
jurisdiction of.) But do you all think it's really that bad? And do you all think we
should get a lawyer? We will send the change of address notification to our local INS
office as soon as the move is complete, is there anything else to do? Or is there
anything we could do to speed up the process? Those of you who have experience on
this would you share? Thanks a bunch Selin

Old Aug 10th 2001, 2:50 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >

Experiences vary. I think they're ok on getting EADs and APs within the 90 days. A
recent phone-call to the national 800 # says there's currently a 13-month wait for
AOS. I've seen some come in earlier, some later.

We filed last December. The worst part is getting on line at
5:30am.... but again, there are places that are worse.

Can you stick it out in KY a few more months to do your AOS before moving?

Old Aug 10th 2001, 8:56 pm
Sandy Gonzalez

Does it normally take 3-5 months for the final interview after fingerprints? Or is
that just your office? We filed in CA and have the fingerprint appt. on Sep. 5th.

Sandy the newlywed

Old Aug 10th 2001, 9:31 pm
Selin Hall

This job offer is such a good one, I'm so afraid that if I pass up now, there won't
be another one this good. The thing is, I hadn't been able to work the last couple of
years until last July when I finally got my work authorization, so I've had already
been away from my profession quite a while. Now that I'm able to work again, I want
to start as soon as possible. Because in my profession (pharmaceutical) the longer
you stay away from the career world, the less chance you'll get finding a good
position. Another thing I was wondering is that if we could keep our address in KY
until we get our interview. But if they want my husband to renew I-864, he wouldn't
be able to get an employment letter from KY because neither of us will be working in
KY (duh!?) It's just totally confusing, and the main thing is that I really don't
want to lose a perfectly good job opportunity. thanks for everybody's input Selin

>

>
[usenetquote2]> >Everybody says Charlotte Office is not one of the hardest working INS offices in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >the country (that's the office we would be under jurisdiction of.) But do you all[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >think it's really that bad?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 10th 2001, 10:58 pm
exyz

>
see,
    >
market
    >
my
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Unless you have a complex case, which usually means some previous problems, it does
not seem that an attorney will help much.

It's not that Charlotte is not hard working, it's that they are seriously
understaffed, and sometimes need a nudge. There are so many immigrants into NC that
they really can't handle them, and I think they're just on the cusp of needing
another office, but it's probably not going to happen quite yet. We had no problems
with Advance Parole and EAD. On my husband's last EAD, he had to change the pickup
date, and it took a long time for that. We had out congressman's caseworker inquire
for us and a guy from the INS actually called my husband at home and arranged an
appointment with him.

The other problem that we had was that my husband's fingerprints were lost and it
took us 3 months after the interview to approve his I-485, and another nudge from a
congressional caseworker, merely to ask the INS to request the prints again. Now
Charlotte has digital fingerprinting and the reports are coming back in a few days.

(I see the INS told you that it takes the FBI 3-5 months to send the report - I
called the FBI after our interview and they told me that they sent the prints right
away - it's just that it took the INS 3 months to find them)

Maybe on you way from KY to NC, you should drop the change of address form off at the
CHarlotte office.

I don't think you'll go to end of the line, but it will probably take a bit more
time. BTW we filed in 12/99 and recieved our interview 4/01, about 16 months, and it
took another 3 for the final approval.

Good luck. NC is an interesting place.

Elaine

Old Aug 11th 2001, 3:24 am
Betastar

>
    >

Totally understand, as I will probably end up at a Pharma as well. =)

>
    >

As Elaine said, Charlotte is really not bad when it comes to EAD and AP. Just be a
longer wait for your greencard itself.

Welcome to NC.

Betastar also in this "interesting" state.

Old Aug 11th 2001, 2:34 pm
exyz

>

>
[usenetquote2]> >Because in my profession (pharmaceutical) the longer you stay away from[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> >career world, the less chance you'll get finding a good position.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

I almost ended up in Pharma myself...but went to a medical center instead...

>
[usenetquote2]> >It's just totally confusing, and the main thing is that I really don't[/usenetquote2]
want
[usenetquote2]> >to lose a perfectly good job opportunity.[/usenetquote2]

>
    >
    >
    >

And you're coming at a great time...AOS interviews are top priority for Charlotte.
Just keep your fingers crossed that you have a complete file when you're interviewed
and you'll sail through. And, if you need some help cutting through red tape (i.e.,
trying to locate your file), contact the congressional casworkers...I really think
that's the best use for them. They can't speed things up, but they can nudge the INS
to look for stuff, and then things happen.

>
    >
    >
    >

I keep thinking of the Bermuda Triangle...but I guess that's the wrong Triangle...

Elaine

Old Aug 11th 2001, 2:53 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Actually, the whole AOS priority has us worried (imagine that!). Neither of us will
be around for most of the month of October, and from what I'm seeing with
appointments lately, we should be due for our interview in October.

I just sent a letter to Senator John Edwards, ATTN: Immigration Liaison to see
if they can check if we're due in October, and if so if that can be pushed back
to November.

Imagine that - wanting to delay the AOS interview!

Betastar filed Dec 2000...

Old Aug 11th 2001, 7:10 pm
exyz

[usenetquote2]> >And you're coming at a great time...AOS interviews are top priority for Charlotte.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Just keep your fingers crossed that you have a complete file[/usenetquote2]
when
[usenetquote2]> >you're interviewed and you'll sail through. And, if you need some help cutting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >through red tape (i.e., trying to locate your file), contact the congressional[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >casworkers...I really think that's the best use for them.[/usenetquote2]
They
[usenetquote2]> >can't speed things up, but they can nudge the INS to look for stuff, and then[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >things happen.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Let me know if you hear back from them. I wrote both to Edwards' and Price's liaison
when my husband received his approval just to thank them and to let them know that
our case was resolved. I heard back from Price's immediately, but never heard back
from Edwards' liaison. I 'm wondering if there have been personnel changes, or the
guy is just on vacation...

Price's liaison was able to help us find out when they rescheduled my husband's
EAD appointment, and one of my husband's colleagues, has been getting help from
Jesse's office. (Any port in a storm, you know?). So if you don't hear from one,
try the others...

My husband had to go to conference in Mexico in July and we were hoping that they
didn't approve his I-485 while he was out of the country, so I know what you mean.
Fortunatley, they approved it a week after he returned. That was close - but I know
what you mean about not wanting the interview then.... Elaine

Old Aug 11th 2001, 7:39 pm
Selin Hall

Thanks so much for everybody's input. It's a really good idea to drop by the
Charlotte office to give them our change of address notice. We also would have to do
that with Louisville (Louisville being the original INS office that our case is in)
Well, I wouldn't really mind waiting for the interview as long as they don't lose our
papers and things like that. I think I will check with FBI to see what's going on
with my fingerprints. Hey Elaine, can you send me the telephone number for FBI and
tell me how to go about asking them about the fingerprints if you don't mind? I mean
do you give them your alien number or how do they look it up? Thanks everybody Selin

>

[usenetquote2]> > Hey Gang, I know what you all are thinking, it's not a smart thing to do. But you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the current town (in KY) I and my husband are living in is not a good[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for my profession and I really want to recharge my career, now that I[/usenetquote2]
got
    >
[usenetquote2]> > working authorization. So because of all this, I recently accepted a job offer in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > another state (NC) and my husband is 100% supportive of my decision. One problem[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is, when we filed my I-485 (we already had our[/usenetquote2]
I-130
[usenetquote2]> > approved at the time, so this is just I-485 and they already got my fingerprints[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and everything) they told us that it would be 3 to 5 months before our interview[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > because that's how long it takes for FBI to send clearance to the INS office.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Everybody says Charlotte Office is not one of the hardest working INS offices in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the country (that's the office we would be under jurisdiction of.) But do you all[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > think it's really that bad? And do you all think we should get a lawyer? We will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > send the change of address notification to our local INS office[/usenetquote2]
as
[usenetquote2]> > soon as the move is complete, is there anything else to do? Or is there anything[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we could do to speed up the process? Those of you who have experience on this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > would you share? Thanks a bunch Selin[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
problems,
    >
    >
    >
    >
into
    >
cusp
    >
yet.
    >
he
    >
out
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
find
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
bit
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 11th 2001, 8:54 pm
Betastar

both to Edwards' and Price's
    >
    >
    >
    >

Thanks for the "heads' up" - if I don't hear from Edwards' office in the next week or
so I'll contact Price's office.

>
    >
    >
    >

Yup. Also we think we'll go in person to renew the AP so we can ask them if we can
renew EAD early as well - and maybe ask if they know when our interview is due.

Another day in Charlotte.

You said you go during the week, get there are 10am and don't have a long line? Was
that right? We were thinking it'd be another 5am-wake-up-call.

>
    >
    >
    >

We'll both be gone for 3 weeks, so even if the letter comes, we won't know
about it. =(

Betastar

Old Aug 11th 2001, 9:19 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Selin Hall wrote:
    >
    >
    >

I'm not Elaine, however FBI can be reached either at 304-625-5590 or at 304-625-2406.
They are located in West Virginia and it is the same number for whole of US. If the
representative comes to the phone, he/can tell you about your case immediately or no
one picks the phone, you may leave the message giving your spelled out name, contact
phone number and Alien Number, (also called 'A' number. This is number is in the
I-485 receipt notice and also in the Finger Print notice). They are usually prompt in
returning phone calls.

Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Aug 12th 2001, 10:00 am
Exyz

>
    >
    >
<snip>
    >

Not exactly - When my husband went for his EAD, he went on a Friday (June 29, I
think) and it was not crowded at all...I think that's what I mentioned before. The
EAD guy called him a few days before to arrange for the appointment and asked my
husband if an 11:00 AM appointment would be convenient (i.e., my husband would not
have to get up too early). The first time he went to get his EAD (Aug1, 2000), the
place was packed and when we went for our interview - April 30, 2001 it was packed.
Although April 30 was an abberation - LIFE act deadline and all.

Without an appointment, I would go mid-to-end of week, but I would go early in the
AM, tedious as that is.

We're going in a few weeks, and will probably leave the night before and stay over
just because we want to be there first thing in the morning, so we can be back home
by the afternoon. Although, I think we're going down on Sunday to be there on
Monday....whatever.

Elaine

Old Aug 12th 2001, 1:37 pm
Selin Hall

Thanks so much Alvena Selin

Old Aug 12th 2001, 2:35 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >

We're going in about 4-5 weeks, but will probably do the mid-week thing... either be
there on a Weds or Thursday I think.

Thanks

Betastar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.