Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is Moving to America the answer

Is Moving to America the answer

Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:14 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving to America the answer

Originally Posted by davyjones
other options include overstaying your visa or getting married...since the WTC events in NY it has been alot harder. The good news is the fist illegals they go after are from economic deprived countries like Mexico. UK citizens are usually last on the list to be messed with. I think there is an option if you can prove you are self employed. My friend is a web designer/consultant with a verifiable business in the UK and he was able to do it.
Wasn't that easy before Spetember 11th 2001 either. The rest of what you said is just plain wrong legally and ethically.

Now put the little glass pipe down and get some sleep.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davyjones
other options include overstaying your visa or getting married...since the WTC events in NY it has been alot harder. The good news is the fist illegals they go after are from economic deprived countries like Mexico. UK citizens are usually last on the list to be messed with. I think there is an option if you can prove you are self employed. My friend is a web designer/consultant with a verifiable business in the UK and he was able to do it.
I found you ...May I present you "Moron of the Week award"
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. And welcome to BE!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:50 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That figures...you couldn't check the trolley right?
The trolley was returned as he wanted his quid back.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Que dithes?!

My parents put us straight into public school in Thpain when we lived in Barthelona in the ages ago 70s. My sister and I learned the language pretty much by ear and context.
When we returned to the States, the school put my thisther in speech therapy for a lithp!
Reading that you must sound like my family near Barcelona when you speak Spanish I learned it with a lisp (by ear) and when I got to California couldn't figure out why no one else did
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:51 am
Just Joined

trace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant future

And there was me thinking i had it all sown up!! I was going to move to America, chat to my neighbours about anything coz i havnt been able to do tht for the last 5 years and enjoy my life again.

Then i get told 'it s not easy getting into America, what about visas' i look into that and it now looks near on impossible. So i then read another suggestion to have a look at another thread, which leads me to one that asks 'Has anyone moved back to UK and regretted it', oh my word!! most of them hated moving back to the UK and most then moved back to where they'd come from. Also i moved from UK for a reason, cost of living and mainly, sad i know, but the weather

Then .... i should perhaps marry and American, i have a problem there too, i am already married, quite happily actually, so thats not really possible, my husband is understanding with this moving lark but hell i dont think id push my luck too far.

So im left with my dilema, im unhappy here in Spain, cant get into America and Australia is just too far (family wise) and the UK makes everyone depressed, should i start a new thread saying 'HELP i want to move somewhere else, any suggestions?'.

I think im gonna need quite a few trolleys and trust me its gonna be packed with tesco bags, How do they do it???

Where am i gonna go.
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Reading that you must sound like my family near Barcelona when you speak Spanish I learned it with a lisp (by ear) and when I got to California couldn't figure out why no one else did
heheh.. yes, had to retrain the tongue to speak south of the border.. they have as many differences as we do UK/US with English.
And my Mexican friend complained that the Spanish were too snooty to him when he was there visiting & kept making him repeat himself.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:49 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Is moving to America ever the answer....?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:55 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trace in spain
i guess its back to the drawing board or UK (unfortunately)
Don't look at moving back to the UK as being unfortunate. It's still a great place, a lot of people move back there from here too
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:59 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Where am i gonna go.
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
Have you visited the parts of Spain with more brits in?
My family are up by Barcelona, the kids went to the local school for a couple of years then to a private one, but not an anglo american one. They did great.
Some school in Gava I think, they used to go in on the train each day.
It couldn't have cost too much the mom was home all day and Dad ran a bar.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

And there was me thinking i had it all sown up!! I was going to move to America, chat to my neighbours about anything coz i havnt been able to do tht for the last 5 years and enjoy my life again.
It's not necessarily that easy to do that here.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:07 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's not necessarily that easy to do that here.
True dat. Moving to a different place isn't the answer to everything.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

trace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant futuretrace in spain has a brilliant future

No, i know that it wont be easy moving anywhere else and like you say theres no guarantee i would be happy, or even have the chat over the fence stuff that i want. But i also cant help but feel that moving back to the UK as unfortunate.

When i moved to Spain i did miss the UK for a while, the food, the cheap clothes, my friends and the fact that i didnt have to think about how i would say something, but to be honest i think if i moved back to the UK i would miss Spain more.

I sometimes really wish i had never moved to another country, i think i will always have itchy feet so to speak. When i lived in the UK i never thought to myself 'i wonder where i will be in 5 - 10 years', i think that all the time out here, will i be here in 5 years or somewhere else, i feel i have to make a decision once and for all quite soon as in September my eldest son will have to go to secondary school (thats if they dont make him repeat a year, which most british kids do at some time or another) and i dont want in a couple of years time decide to move back to UK and he have to start in the middle of a school year, especially when most of the kids will have made their own group of friends. Also i dont want to mess with their education, they are fluent in Spanish so thats not a bad thing but being so young will they forget it and then this whole experience was for nothing.

I need a job too, i never thought id say that, but its a lifeline and finding the language so hard to pick up i will never get one.

Up here in Valencia its all th th th and down in south is all s s s wow its hard enough trying to understand them up here talking at 90mph let alone a southerner. I agree with your mexican freind too who said they made him repeat everything, we went into a bar and asked for a malibu and coke and they made us repeat the word malibu 5 times, in the end we pointed to the bottle and he looked an said oh mailbu, how many different ways can you say it??. ha ha

Oh well, today is sunny so my fickle head is quite happy today, lets just hope no spanish people turn up at my gate, i will have to hide from them til my children get in from school and translate for me!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, i know that it wont be easy moving anywhere else and like you say theres no guarantee i would be happy, or even have the chat over the fence stuff that i want. But i also cant help but feel that moving back to the UK as unfortunate.

When i moved to Spain i did miss the UK for a while, the food, the cheap clothes, my friends and the fact that i didnt have to think about how i would say something, but to be honest i think if i moved back to the UK i would miss Spain more.

I sometimes really wish i had never moved to another country, i think i will always have itchy feet so to speak. When i lived in the UK i never thought to myself 'i wonder where i will be in 5 - 10 years', i think that all the time out here, will i be here in 5 years or somewhere else, i feel i have to make a decision once and for all quite soon as in September my eldest son will have to go to secondary school (thats if they dont make him repeat a year, which most british kids do at some time or another) and i dont want in a couple of years time decide to move back to UK and he have to start in the middle of a school year, especially when most of the kids will have made their own group of friends. Also i dont want to mess with their education, they are fluent in Spanish so thats not a bad thing but being so young will they forget it and then this whole experience was for nothing.

I need a job too, i never thought id say that, but its a lifeline and finding the language so hard to pick up i will never get one.

Up here in Valencia its all th th th and down in south is all s s s wow its hard enough trying to understand them up here talking at 90mph let alone a southerner. I agree with your mexican freind too who said they made him repeat everything, we went into a bar and asked for a malibu and coke and they made us repeat the word malibu 5 times, in the end we pointed to the bottle and he looked an said oh mailbu, how many different ways can you say it??. ha ha

Oh well, today is sunny so my fickle head is quite happy today, lets just hope no spanish people turn up at my gate, i will have to hide from them til my children get in from school and translate for me!!
I see you mentioned Australia earlier on - if you do fancy here, then www.immi.gov.au is the place to start - they have a visa wizard which will tell you whether you qualify or not.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:54 pm
Banned

Also i dont want to mess with their education, they are fluent in Spanish so thats not a bad thing but being so young will they forget it and then this whole experience was for nothing.
I wouldn't worry about the kids losing their ability to speak Spanish, seems like the least of your worries. Most English people living in England don't speak Spanish, and they function perfectly well, without ever having had the whole experience.

Adios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.