Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move or work remotely?

Move or work remotely?

Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

familyofive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move or work remotely?

Husband potentially has the opportunity to accept a job in California. This may be something he can do remotely from the U.K., with travel frequently to and from the US. If we did move, our eldest child is in Y9, and would be starting HS this September in the US (always my cut off for moving again so it’s definitely now or never). He is at an independent school, with a boarding facility, but honestly I don’t see that being an option for us (neither he nor us would want to live apart). Has anyone experienced the international schools? We could probably only afford this for our eldest child (other two are kindergarten and G5 age, so would likely settle fine into local schools). Or do we just go for it, and hope that he’ll adapt, it’s just a such risk for me as he’s so happy where he is (and being honest the teenage years aren’t easy).
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move or work remotely?

So your move to Boston which you asked about last summer didn't pan out. Moving with older child The same questions that you asked then and others replied to, still pertain to the child in question even if the location is now California.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

The move was always planned for late 2020, not 2019 as mentioned in that same post, and yes I realise that some of the issues are the same, however my question is now more about international schools and the experience people have had with those, and whether if given the choice, people would opt to work remotely and avoid the disruption to their children’s schooling. FYI Massachusetts is still a consideration, and may be an option for us if he can work remotely. I’m sure you appreciate what a big decision this is, I’m sorry if I’m not allowed to post again once a job offer is more concrete.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 11:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you are. Nowhere did I indicate that you shouldn't, couldn't or mustn't.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

If the job can be done remotely, why the need to move anywhere? Are you US citizens? If not, I can't see how a visa can be approved to move to the US for a job that could be done anywhere in the world.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 1:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I would sooner remove my right arm with a rusty hacksaw than move my teenage daughter between schools, even in the same country, much less in a different country. .... Some teenagers adapt, others do not, and the experience can cast a very long shadow over their life. Personally I wouldn't recommend taking the chance unless there is no reasonable alternative.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 26th 2020 at 1:41 am.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 2:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

What city in California? Are you looking specifically for a British International school or simply an IB school?

I second the advice above not to move when teens unless absolutely necessary. Moving at this time can be rough on kids.

p.s. what Uni plans do you have for the kids? US or UK?
Old Feb 26th 2020, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Yes we are all dual citizens.
The (older) children started out their schooling in Mass, so we have friendships/connections there, hence why I’d much rather be based there (and it’s a halfway option between the two). I don’t especially want to live in California.
The sticking point is our teenage child, I don’t want to make like difficult for him. Equally, I don’t want my husband to be put under additional stress, travelling frequently. We endlessly go around in circles trying to decide which is best. If we wait into eldest is at university/work then we will have the same situation with the younger ones.
A US university is a consideration wherever we live, it’s something that the older two have already expressed an interest in doing.
Thank you, and I do very much appreciate that these are first world problems!

Last edited by familyofive; Feb 26th 2020 at 7:12 am.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment on the schools in question but I can comment on moving a teenage child. W moved with our daughter at age 16. I can see why many people would say not to move a teenage child, but,individuals are precisely that. In her circumstances, the biggest issue was timing - if it had been mid GCSE's or, year 8 in the UK etc. we'd probably have thought differently. As it was, transferring at an educational cut off point worked wonders for her - she completed her GCSE's and moved over to complete High School. After an initial period of inertia thanks to the school system not knowing how to translate her grades and courses, she flew through the remaining 18 months and graduated with flying colours before taking a spot at College in Georgia where she is now on the Dean's list, recently selected as an Ambassador for the College and made lots of friends from all over the globe (recently travelling to Germany to visit some). The timing, in my opinion, was critical. She was about to experience significant change anyway, even if we stayed at home in the UK. You know your child, judge the situation and them.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 2:57 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I moved 2 teenagers into US High school - and from France. Some pretty major hiccups with the eldest due to transfer of grades which upset me greatly at the time but 6 years later, she got into the college of her choice and has graduated and got a very good job. All good there. DS went into 9th grade here and that went well too. It depends on your child. I know that another poster who also lives in Austin, had a not great experience with one of hers.
Do you think your child will cope with the move?
If moving them into the last few years of high school - move during the summer so they are ready to start at the beginning of the semester so that they don't start having missed some parts of the courses ( and the tests etc).
Also, do your homework and figure out what level they should be in the classes - what have they learned/not learned etc. If you're putting them into good schools, I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think that their UK school is better either....