Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Originally Posted by park99
Originally Posted by tht
You mention a mortgage, aside from waiting to see if you like it, I would be surprised if you would get a mortgage in the US with no credit history here. I was able to get one within a couple of years of gettting my Green Card by putting 25% down as the deposit. Most people rent when they first come here, this may also factor in to which SD you are in / can get in to.
Yes I am sure we will have to rent to begin with. A friend has moved there 2 years ago and able to get mortgage and bought a house one year later. Hopefully we will be as lucky.
I was able to get a mortgage after less than a year on an L1 visa with a 20% down payment so its certainly possible.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The ****-ed up quotes in this thread are driving me nuts!

PLEASE be sure to only post a quote when the section being quoted is wrapped in quote tags, and that any additional tags are removed. The start and end tags are like this [QUÖTE] and this [/QUÖTE] respectively (but without the umlauts).
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

I did say I would like to continue to have friends from Europe and rest of the world, like we do here.But it's also natural to want to bond to other Brits expats, so I could share the moan about the lack of very English things (don't know what exactly yet, country pubs, greenery, I guess...)
I am very keen to live in a multicultural community and make friends with people who we share same interests, values and can have fun together, no matter what or who they are.
You're keen to live in a multicultural community - just without Americans, lol! I love the British Expats! (or near expats) - they take chutzpah to a new level.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! very useful info. I was thinking that I could least do some voluntary work (not paid), but it seems this option is also out. I guess like you suggested, I would be busy with settling the family while husband at work.
Do you mind me asking how difficult is it to find work there after a gap on the CV? And the work experience from home, is it more or less accepted there, especially in my case I only worked for small companies , not Top 100?
You *can* volunteer. What you can't do is offer to work for free in a job that is normally a paid position. There are plenty of opportunities to be had at thrift shops (independent ones), food banks, homeless shelters, animal shelters etc. You can also look into Taproot if you wanted to do something more 'corporate'. It's a website that matches professionals to worthy/charitable projects on a pro bono basis.

I don't know about the gap in the CV - what's your profession? I assume it's easier in some sectors than others.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
If the job is with a large company in San Diego, like Qualcomm, they probably have an affiliation with a credit union as a company benefit. They should be able to help you with credit and mortgage questions. Ask the companies HR people about it.

https://www.sdccu.com
Best credit union ever. I used to use them, great place.

Pretty much anyone in the surrounding area can join now.

To be eligible you just need to live or work in San Diego, Orange or Riverside Counties.

If you are not eligible from the above, if you employer uses them you can also join that way.

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
1. Wells Fargo/Bank of America both offer mortgages to new arrivals on L+H visas. Since they cannot credit check you in the UK, they ask for a load of financial details to justify giving you a presumptive US credit score of 750. ( very good credit). From what I've seen, the interest rates are comparable to what you would get if you had been here for years and had a similar credit score. HOwever, you MUST apply before you have been here one year. After that, you no longer have access to this special treatment and they will use whatever credit you have in the USA to assess you.
2. Credit Stacks will give you a non-secured credit card with a $5k limit. The card is delivered as soon as your L or H visa is approved.
3.Employers will NOT act as guarantors for rent. I don't think they are even allowed to. They can organise a "corporate" lease for you, which is usually organised via a 3rd party and usually only short term. Be aware that this a taxable benefit and corporate leases are not cheap. Usually employees get corporate accommodation for 1 month but I've seen 6 weeks occasionally.
4. You can get an account with Wells Fargo or Bank of America on the day you arrive. None of the others because you won't have the documents they require. WF will give out temporary debit card and checks but Bof A recently stopped this,

In terms of relocation assistance - depends on your position in the company. Most multi-nationals subcontract this out and your employer will have a policy in place with the relocation management company which decides on your relocation package benefits. There isn't usually much flexibility but you can usually negotiate on a few points- Green card sponsorship timeline, rental car length extension for example. Personally, I would concentrate on getting the best salary + the best position in the company right at the start.
Make sure you do your homework on what the salaries are for SD - look on glassdoor.com etc.
Thanks very much for the details, really helpful.
Yes the company has 3rd party relocation company that will help the process, really eased my anxious of the big move.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NYer
You're keen to live in a multicultural community - just without Americans, lol! I love the British Expats! (or near expats) - they take chutzpah to a new level.
You know that's not what I meant...

I am a big American culture fan , particularly rock music... when I was in California a few years ago I went to see many gigs... Can't say this is not one of the motivation to move. So yes, would love to make American friends!
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Best credit union ever. I used to use them, great place.

Pretty much anyone in the surrounding area can join now.

To be eligible you just need to live or work in San Diego, Orange or Riverside Counties.

If you are not eligible from the above, if you employer uses them you can also join that way.
Fab! I will add this to the list.
We have a bank account with citibank for many years, would this help since it's an American bank?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
park99 'bond to other Brits English expats, so I could share the moan about the lack of very English things'

Cough, cough...British as well..
Oops...
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sherbert
You *can* volunteer. What you can't do is offer to work for free in a job that is normally a paid position. There are plenty of opportunities to be had at thrift shops (independent ones), food banks, homeless shelters, animal shelters etc. You can also look into Taproot if you wanted to do something more 'corporate'. It's a website that matches professionals to worthy/charitable projects on a pro bono basis.

I don't know about the gap in the CV - what's your profession? I assume it's easier in some sectors than others.
That's great. It would be great if I could volunteer and get involved in the community. I have volunteered here in Food banks and Oxfam shops.
I am an experienced project manager in IT and government sector. Although honestly I would love to change a new direction, but that's for another topic.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:43 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! very useful info. I was thinking that I could least do some voluntary work (not paid), but it seems this option is also out. I guess like you suggested, I would be busy with settling the family while husband at work.
Do you mind me asking how difficult is it to find work there after a gap on the CV? And the work experience from home, is it more or less accepted there, especially in my case I only worked for small companies , not Top 100?
I can't really comment on CV gap and UK experience as we moved over when our company's product line was bought by an American company and my husband was employed by them as senior research engineer as part of the whole deal (the UK company was owned by us). They only sponsored one O-1 visa for him but I provided my expertise on site in Europe to ease the transition. As soon as I was employment authorized they asked me to work for them on a consultancy basis supporting what used to be "our" products now built in the USA. I set my own hours and travel itineraries and invoice accordingly. We were a small company in the UK (6 to 12 employees) in a very niche market, the US company is a bigger company (100 employees) in the same niche market.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You know that's not what I meant...

I am a big American culture fan , particularly rock music... when I was in California a few years ago I went to see many gigs..
We go to tons of gigs. Greek Theater, Wiltern, Hollywood Bowl, Santa Barbara Bowl. Sometimes three in the same week.
In addition many big names from the UK, who play stadiums, come over here and do smaller places.

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
We go to tons of gigs. Greek Theater, Wiltern, Hollywood Bowl, Santa Barbara Bowl. Sometimes three in the same week.
In addition many big names from the UK, who play stadiums, come over here and do smaller places.
I love smaller venues, much easier to feel connected to the bands.
Just saw P.O.D (SD homie) in Oxford last month, nice show and crowd.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in San Diego.
What zip code will your husband work in? Once we know that, we can offer information regarding commuting, neighborhoods and schools. I strongly recommend you get involved in the children's school PTAs. They always need volunteers, it benefits your children and your community, and you make new friends.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Weather in where I live has been 11C for this week, dreary with cold rain, hail, wind... In this weather the move becomes a no brainer.

Hubby will work near UCSD. I have looked at 4S ranch and Ranch Bernardo. They seem more affordable. Would the commute too far?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.