Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move parents to the USA

Move parents to the USA

Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Sparky1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Move parents to the USA

Hi, I moved to Atlanta, Georgia with my wife and two kids approximately 4 years ago. We have been processed and currently have green cards however, we will not be eligable to become US citizens for another three years. My wife's parents are now more-or-less at retirement age and we are trying to figure out how to move them out. I know once we are citizens it's no problem but we're not, I've also heard of the lottery scheme but that seems like the chances of being one of the 50,000 is very, very slim. They do not need any form of employment but simply to sell up in the UK and retire in the USA so they can spent 'quality' time with the grand children.....does anyone have any idea's or information? I've been trying to figure this out for the last couple of months with no success. Thanks!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move parents to the USA

Originally Posted by Sparky1966
Hi, I moved to Atlanta, Georgia with my wife and two kids approximately 4 years ago. We have been processed and currently have green cards however, we will not be eligable to become US citizens for another three years. My wife's parents are now more-or-less at retirement age and we are trying to figure out how to move them out. I know once we are citizens it's no problem but we're not, I've also heard of the lottery scheme but that seems like the chances of being one of the 50,000 is very, very slim. They do not need any form of employment but simply to sell up in the UK and retire in the USA so they can spent 'quality' time with the grand children.....does anyone have any idea's or information? I've been trying to figure this out for the last couple of months with no success. Thanks!!
Well, that all depends on which visa they qualify for - check Pulaski's ways in the articles section.

PS: What are they planning to do for health care?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Short of extended holidays here in the US as a tourist, I don't think there are many options. It is a problem facing many GC holders, but there are no retirement visas available in the US.

And ditto the previous comment--what are you going to do for health care? IF you could find it from a private company, you are looking at $1,000+ a month probably...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:41 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I've also heard of the lottery scheme but that seems like the chances of being one of the 50,000 is very, very slim.
Unless they are from Northern Ireland, as UK citizens they are otherwise ineligible for the diversity visa lottery anyway.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

B2....have long holidays.

Be barmy to want to retire to the USA without having worked here for a few years first, the medical insurance would be killer...one illness and retirement funds would easily be ko'ed.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

Be barmy to want to retire to the USA without having worked here for a few years first, the medical insurance would be killer...one illness and retirement funds would easily be ko'ed.
I hadn't looked into healthcare yet......I'd heard of 'medicare' but that was my next step with regard to the feasibility of them coming over...who would be the best company to approach for healthcare, is there anyone who specializes in ex-pats?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

How long is a 'long holiday', my guess would be that they would be allowed in for maybe 3 months per year?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How long is a 'long holiday', my guess would be that they would be allowed in for maybe 3 months per year?
If they're retiring, can buy house here and apply for B2 as snowbirds -- good chance of success. Health insurance is the killer. They won't qualify for Medicare for 5 years -- then you can buy it for them. Local state schemes, however, might hold a better answer.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't looked into healthcare yet......I'd heard of 'medicare' but that was my next step with regard to the feasibility of them coming over...who would be the best company to approach for healthcare, is there anyone who specializes in ex-pats?
medicare is a no goer, you have to be an LPR for 5 years before retiring here to get it I believe, or to contribute to it at least...

And medical insuarance....your folks will need a job, or it'll be well expensive....hell, I'm in my mid 20's...for me and the missus, combined between what I pay and what my employer pays is $950 a month, with no pre-existing conditions.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

B2 would get them 6 months stay.

Getting travel insurance for the duration wouldn't be easy, nor cheap if they are elderly.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If they're retiring, can buy house here and apply for B2 as snowbirds -- good chance of success. Health insurance is the killer. They won't qualify for Medicare for 5 years -- then you can buy it for them. Local state schemes, however, might hold a better answer.
If they manage to get visas to live in the US, a big IF unless you are citizens, would they qualify for Meidicare under the reciprocal Social Security agreement when they become US resident?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nun
If they manage to get visas to live in the US, a big IF unless you are citizens, would they qualify for Meidicare under the reciprocal Social Security agreement when they become US resident?
No. Medicare is not part of the Reciprocal Social Security agreement.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Nope.

BUT...five years after they first get their GCs, they can enroll in Medicare. If they are lacking 10 years of social security payments, they need to pay for all of it. (With the 10 years, there's a substantial discount!)
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Well, that all depends on which visa they qualify for - check Pulaski's ways in the articles section.

PS: What are they planning to do for health care?
Well if nothing else we sure have made everyone aware of the issue, and the need to plan.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there certain states that have quasi-government health systems that are available. I know Hawaii has a state-run insurance plan, but I'm wondering about other states in which a GC'd parent could participate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.