Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to NYC, what to pack

Move to NYC, what to pack

Old May 6th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

emiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really nice
Default Move to NYC, what to pack

Hi all

After being approved for our L1/L2 visas today we are already starting to think about packing our apartment up for the relocation to NYC. I am just wondering if anybody knows the potential limitations of what can and cant be taken to the US?

I understand that most of our electronics wont work in the US from Europe but I am unclear as to whether the following items would be allowed to be shipped:

Plants
Dried Foods
Cleaning Products

Does anybody know if the above types of things are acceptable?

Thanks in advance
Old May 6th 2010, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to NYC, what to pack

Originally Posted by emiwar
Hi all

After being approved for our L1/L2 visas today we are already starting to think about packing our apartment up for the relocation to NYC. I am just wondering if anybody knows the potential limitations of what can and cant be taken to the US?

I understand that most of our electronics wont work in the US from Europe but I am unclear as to whether the following items would be allowed to be shipped:

Plants
Dried Foods
Cleaning Products

Thanks in advance
No liquid cleaning products definitely, not sure about any others
Dried foods should be fine as long as there are no meat products in them
Plants, probably not, just in case you could introduce british bugs here!

Welcome to BE, good luck
Old May 6th 2010, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Plants
Dried Foods
Cleaning Products
Why on earth would you even want to bring this stuff? Get rid of it before you move.

Ian
Old May 6th 2010, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Take the opportunity to cleanse your life, throw out ruthlessly, sell or donate, just rid of all that cruft.

It can be emotionally painful but ultimately worth it.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Plants
Dried Foods
Cleaning Products

Thanks in advance
Good choices. I bit my nails down to the quick wondering if I'd packed the Yucca, powdered eggs and Mr. Sheen.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a search, plenty of threads and wiki info about what's worth bringing and not....that stuff you've listed, ditch it.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why on earth would you even want to bring this stuff? Get rid of it before you move.

Ian
I'll second that! Why one earth would you want to bring the accumulated crap of your life in the UK?!?

If it's not of sentimental value, trash it!
Old May 7th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

emiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really nice

Thanks for some of the messages given, much appreciated. Although some I have already found more harsh than helpful.

I fully understand the need to 'cleanse' and get rid of 'crap' but our plants were expensive and have been nutured over many years. The other goods when added up are not of an insignificant value either and since my company are paying for the relocation then I thought it was worth investigating.

I am more than happy to receive answers to my questions and others' experiences but would be even happier to be spared judgement on my choices. Each to their own right?

I have already made the move once from the UK to Netherlands with those listed items in our removal but fully anticipated that it may not be so easy to the US.

Thanks again for any insights.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for some of the messages given, much appreciated. Although some I have already found more harsh than helpful.

I fully understand the need to 'cleanse' and get rid of 'crap' but our plants were expensive and have been nutured over many years. The other goods when added up are not of an insignificant value either and since my company are paying for the relocation then I thought it was worth investigating.

I am more than happy to receive answers to my questions and others' experiences but would be even happier to be spared judgement on my choices. Each to their own right?

I have already made the move once from the UK to Netherlands with those listed items in our removal but fully anticipated that it may not be so easy to the US.

Thanks again for any insights.
you won't be allowed to bring the plants..sorry.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

As regards
1) plants
check the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s (APHIS) Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov. However honestly I would expect them to reject an individuals request for importation by placing so many testing requirements it would be impractical.
2)Dried foods
relatively small amounts for personal use in sealed original packaging should be acceptable, no half opened packages
3) Cleaning products
normally because of their corrosive nature shipping companies do not accept to pack or ship cleaning materials, especially half used bottles of fluids.

Do not forget you will be asked to sign a declaration by the shipping company stating prior to departure that you agree to have your shipment inspected by the USCBP (Customs and Border Protection)
Old May 7th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
As regards
1) plants
check the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s (APHIS) Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov. However honestly I would expect them to reject an individuals request for importation by placing so many testing requirements it would be impractical.
2)Dried foods
relatively small amounts for personal use in sealed original packaging should be acceptable, no half opened packages
3) Cleaning products
normally because of their corrosive nature shipping companies do not accept to pack or ship cleaning materials, especially half used bottles of fluids.

Do not forget you will be asked to sign a declaration by the shipping company stating prior to departure that you agree to have your shipment inspected by the USCBP (Customs and Border Protection)
and inspections can lead to delays of receiving your stuff over this side of the pond plus extra costs of xrays etc.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own right?
Since you've already made up your mind to take this stuff, why did you even bother to ask the question?

Ian
Old May 7th 2010, 1:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

but our plants were expensive and have been nutured over many years.
Leave them with someone so you can visit when you are in the UK -- they aren't going to look too good after they have been sealed in a container for two months, even if it wasn't illegal in the first place.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Plants
Dried Foods
Cleaning Products

Thanks in advance
The devil is in the details. The plants definitely will be a problem - USDA permits, and possibly quarantine LINK.

Dried food, depends on what you're talking about. IIRC anything containing beef is out. The removal company will have guidlines on what they will accept and what they won't. I believe some, perhaps all, will insist on no food whatsoever in a container.

Cleaning products containing potentially toxic or corrosive chemicals probably won't be accepted by the shipping company. You might be able to ship these separately by yourself but it seems like a lot of bother.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:25 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I've changed my mind, and I say go for it!

The plants should do fine in a shipping container for the 6+ weeks that they'll be in transit.

It's the additional 3 months stuck in customs at the port of entry that could prove a little dicey, but with a good watering before you pack them I'm sure they'll be OK, and your investment of time and money will be safe.

The dried food works well in this plan too - you'll need to provide the rats with something to snack on at the port, and you wouldn't want it to be your house plants!

The cleaning products I'm not so sure about. I find that Jif and Dettol just don't work like they should at 120V/50Hz, although I've heard that Brasso works in a pinch if you use a professional grade step-down transformer and remember to only polish in a counter-clockwise direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.