Wikiposts

Move to NJA

Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Move to NJA

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Our container was selected for xray. I nearly had kittens, we hadn't brought all the whiskey but we did bring more wine and gin than we should have.
Plus it meant we had an extra 4 weeks without anything in the house.
We spent 7 weeks with air beds and paper plates.
We had bought a new TV, so we had this massive TV and nothing else
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:24 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
But, we didn't realise that you had to set up the cable TV. We assumed you could just plug into the cable, like you just attach the aerial in the UK. So we had the big TV and couldn't watch anything on it. We all crowded round a tiny portable DVD player.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:29 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
But, we didn't realise that you had to set up the cable TV. We assumed you could just plug into the cable, like you just attach the aerial in the UK. So we had the big TV and couldn't watch anything on it. We all crowded round a tiny portable DVD player.
DOUBLE
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pickledpossum
Am watching this tread with interest as we are also a family of 4 moving to NJ end of September, and am also wondering what electrical items to bring over. We have been living in Oz for the last couple of years so most of ours are Australian, ie 240v, including a huge plasma which we are shipping in the vain hope it will work with a transformer. Am thinking of ebaying everything else.

Braintreegirl - can I ask why you chose Montville? We have never been to NJ and therefore have been doing research on the net and are focusing on the Milford County area. Have you visited Montville? If so, whats it like? OH will be commuting to NY (Path Station area) for work, how is the commute from Montville to NY??
Hi,

We choose Montville because my husband has to commute between Parsippany and Jersey City. It is very pretty, you can get a nice house for the money and the schools seem to be good.

My husband says if your OH needs to commute to NY you should perhaps look at Bergen County, some lovely towns here, Allandale, Ridgewood etc., or Westfield is also nice and commutable. You may get a little less for your money in these towns but you are paying for the easier commute.

How old are your children? Are you selling your house or renting?

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Hi,

We choose Montville because my husband has to commute between Parsippany and Jersey City. It is very pretty, you can get a nice house for the money and the schools seem to be good.

My husband says if your OH needs to commute to NY you should perhaps look at Bergen County, some lovely towns here, Allandale, Ridgewood etc., or Westfield is also nice and commutable. You may get a little less for your money in these towns but you are paying for the easier commute.

Hope this helps.
We had a rental in Parsippany/Morris Plains for 2 years. We lived in the apartment block perched high on top of Powder Mill...you can see the apartments for miles.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:37 am
Just Joined

derson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant future

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Hi braintreegirl, I'm from Colchester, Essex and now living in Hoboken, NJ with the missus and kids. Please let me know if I can help at all with the move (we did it a few months ago and it's my first time back on this board since then!)

I got my NJ driving license a couple of weeks ago - as long as you get down to your local DMV (or MVC whatever it's called) within 60 days of arriving and take all the necessary ID they will issue you with an examination permit. This permit then gives you 2/3 months to take the theory test after which, having passed, they'll issue you with a license that expires with your visa.

If you leave it longer than 60 days to get the permit I believe you'll then have to take the driving test as well as the theory so it's worth getting down there asap. The theory test is pretty easy, mostly common sense multiple choice questions!

Another thing - apply for a SSN as soon as you can. Makes life easier!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by derson
Hi braintreegirl, I'm from Colchester, Essex and now living in Hoboken, NJ with the missus and kids. Please let me know if I can help at all with the move (we did it a few months ago and it's my first time back on this board since then!)

I got my NJ driving license a couple of weeks ago - as long as you get down to your local DMV (or MVC whatever it's called) within 60 days of arriving and take all the necessary ID they will issue you with an examination permit. This permit then gives you 2/3 months to take the theory test after which, having passed, they'll issue you with a license that expires with your visa.

If you leave it longer than 60 days to get the permit I believe you'll then have to take the driving test as well as the theory so it's worth getting down there asap. The theory test is pretty easy, mostly common sense multiple choice questions!

Another thing - apply for a SSN as soon as you can. Makes life easier!
Hi,

Really nice to hear from you!

Did you sell your house in England or rent it out - we have ours on the market but are having trouble selling it. How long is your visa for?

How old are your kids - are they settling into the schools O.K. - have you found they are at about the same level as the other kids their age?

Presumably you are renting out there at the moment?

Did you read the manual before taking the driving test?

Excuse all the questions but having just done this I'm sure you can sympathise with my nosiness!

We're coming out on the 3rd August and everything is a bit of a whirl at the moment!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the driving test really is a joke and a doddle, but it is worth reading up on the drink drive laws and the points system for the theory test as that is the only thing that might give you any problems, but even then it probably won't.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:49 am
Just Joined

derson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant future

Hi,

Really nice to hear from you!

Did you sell your house in England or rent it out - we have ours on the market but are having trouble selling it. How long is your visa for?

How old are your kids - are they settling into the schools O.K. - have you found they are at about the same level as the other kids their age?

Presumably you are renting out there at the moment?

Excuse all the questions but having just done this I'm sure you can sympathise with my nosiness!

We're coming out on the 3rd August and everything is a bit of a whirl at the moment!
How do,

We still own our house in Colchester and rent it out - didn't fancy giving up our property in the UK as we may return in the future (although that looks less likely as time goes by!).

I have a 3-year L-1 visa (so L-2 for the wife and kids I believe) which is sponsored by the company I work for. This meant a morning spent at the embassy in London shuffling paperwork and answering questions....

We rent our apartment and will probably rent for another year when we move further out into NJ in a few months. The kids are 20 months and almost 3 years old so the elder will be starting pre-school soon - once we've moved I'd imagine.

When you register for your exam permit they'll give you a booklet (equiv. of our Highway Code) which you should read through a couple of times. I also did a couple of practice tests I found on the web. You need to get 80% correct in a 50-question exam, which (in Jersey City MVC) was taken on a touch-screen computer thingy.

Hope that helps! Let me know any more questions if you have them - try not to get too stressed!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by derson
How do,

We still own our house in Colchester and rent it out - didn't fancy giving up our property in the UK as we may return in the future (although that looks less likely as time goes by!).

I have a 3-year L-1 visa (so L-2 for the wife and kids I believe) which is sponsored by the company I work for. This meant a morning spent at the embassy in London shuffling paperwork and answering questions....

We rent our apartment and will probably rent for another year when we move further out into NJ in a few months. The kids are 20 months and almost 3 years old so the elder will be starting pre-school soon - once we've moved I'd imagine.

When you register for your exam permit they'll give you a booklet (equiv. of our Highway Code) which you should read through a couple of times. I also did a couple of practice tests I found on the web. You need to get 80% correct in a 50-question exam, which (in Jersey City MVC) was taken on a touch-screen computer thingy.

Hope that helps! Let me know any more questions if you have them - try not to get too stressed!
Thanks for the info. My husband also has a 3 year L1 visa. Did you have any difficulty getting a car loan out there with a low credit rating? Did you find any way of getting round this? Any other financial tips would be gratefully received!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. My husband also has a 3 year L1 visa. Did you have any difficulty getting a car loan out there with a low credit rating? Did you find any way of getting round this? Any other financial tips would be gratefully received!
check the wiki, which has loads of info on finance stuff.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband also had a L1...getting a loan isn't a problem but you'll be paying top whack for it until you've built up credit history. Cars are cheaper here anyway...so it's not all bad.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 3rd 2007 at 10:02 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:41 am
Just Joined

agostinism is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Not necessarily, Route 46 offers the best way to get to Penn Station, in the early and late commute. I live in Lake Hiawatha(very close to Montvile) and the commute to NY is excellent. Also in and around 46 busses to Newark and the train station stops at Boonton and Towaco(being the closest to Montvile you can get, you can walk to the train station).

So New Jersey has lots of potential. The best thing about Northern Jersey is the mountains and the green and beautiful environment. And the scholl system is regarded as one of the best in the state.

Cheers!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Loads of clog wearing hippies up there, like?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:14 am
Just Joined

agostinism is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Loads of clog wearing hippies up there, like?
scholl=school :embaressed_smile:I deserve that:embaressed_smile:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.