Wikiposts

Move to NJA

Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:54 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to NJA

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'll be honest, I've not been to the country part; I've been to Newark and surrounding areas, then down to AC, and all the bits in-between.
That's like saying the whole of East Anglia is an armpit on the basis of a drive from Dagenham to Southend.
(except that Southend's nicer than AC)
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
That's like saying the whole of East Anglia is an armpit on the basis of a drive from Dagenham to Southend.
LOL I missed AC off my list.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly... East Anglia sucks too!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:03 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We moved 20 months ago and our movers got a list of allowed foods from customs or some gvt dept. That was because I wanted to bring all my dad's malt whiskey but thats another story.
We could bring all the things we wanted to...trays of tinned stuff, tbags, spices, biscuits, boxes of Walkers crisps, chocolate, all the usual. The only thing they hesitated over was rice and flour but we brought them anyway.
There was a thread on this a while ago, as I initially thought it was just my moving company, but others had said the law had changed. The moving company had said the law had just changed.
Whatever, I'd advise the original poster to check with her moving company re food as obviously there are some that won't allow you (whatever the new law is).
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:02 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
There was a thread on this a while ago, as I initially thought it was just my moving company, but others had said the law had changed. The moving company had said the law had just changed.
Whatever, I'd advise the original poster to check with her moving company re food as obviously there are some that won't allow you (whatever the new law is).
We had a photocopy of the official list because I was so enraged about the alcohol issue. I did end up speaking to someone in US customs because of the whole thing and that was in Sept 2005.
It may have changed since though.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:11 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

We had a photocopy of the official list because I was so enraged about the alcohol issue. I did end up speaking to someone in US customs because of the whole thing and that was in Sept 2005.
It may have changed since though.
That was our same time line. I didn't think of checking beforehand as it was OK before.(brought baked beans etc last time I came out) But as it was moving day and he flatly refused citing new laws I had no idea then if it was true or not. Even if they are not worth while anyone checking their moving companies to see if there would be a problem.

Because he saw I was so disappointed re food/tinned he actually packaged my whiskey and alcohol in the books.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:03 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
That was our same time line. I didn't think of checking beforehand as it was OK before.(brought baked beans etc last time I came out) But as it was moving day and he flatly refused citing new laws I had no idea then if it was true or not. Even if they are not worth while anyone checking their moving companies to see if there would be a problem.

Because he saw I was so disappointed re food/tinned he actually packaged my whiskey and alcohol in the books.
The packers offered to hide the booze but we just didn't dare. It was sad because there was about 30 litres of malt whiskey which my dad had collected over the years. It was his passion and I felt I was sort of leaving him behind. We gave it all away except one bottle.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:06 am

The packers offered to hide the booze but we just didn't dare. It was sad because there was about 30 litres of malt whiskey which my dad had collected over the years. It was his passion and I felt I was sort of leaving him behind. We gave it all away except one bottle.
well as ours sat in boxes for ages in goodness knows what heat etc I haven't dared to serve it or use it as I think it could have gone 'off' by now?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a real shame. You should have packed all your "smalls" yourself claiming modesty and hidden them in there. Mind you you'd need a lot of smalls for 30 bottles of whiskey.
Does anyones stuff ever really get opened?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

pickledpossum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Hi everyone,

Me, my husband and two kids, (10 and 13) are moving to Montville, New Jersey at the beginning of August. We wondered if you folks would mind helping us with a few pointers which you have probably heard a hundred times before!

Firstly, do we need to take a driving test? How long after we have been in the country? Is this written or physical? How do we put in to take it?

Does anyone know how we transfer our credit rating in Britain across to the states?

Our son has a Wii console - can he use this in the states and are the games compatible over there? Ditto the games with his PSP, X-Box?

Did anybody take electrical goods with them and buy transformers? Did this work out OK?

We have a sound surround - will this work in the US?

Are you able to take your credit cards with you and just notify them of a change of address or do you have to try to get new credit cards?

If anybody can think of any other useful bits of advice for us at this stage we would be so grateful as everything seems a bit overwhelming at the moment and just having someone to ask is such a big help - thank you.
Am watching this tread with interest as we are also a family of 4 moving to NJ end of September, and am also wondering what electrical items to bring over. We have been living in Oz for the last couple of years so most of ours are Australian, ie 240v, including a huge plasma which we are shipping in the vain hope it will work with a transformer. Am thinking of ebaying everything else.

Braintreegirl - can I ask why you chose Montville? We have never been to NJ and therefore have been doing research on the net and are focusing on the Milford County area. Have you visited Montville? If so, whats it like? OH will be commuting to NY (Path Station area) for work, how is the commute from Montville to NY??
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pickledpossum
We have never been to NJ and therefore have been doing research on the net and are focusing on the Milford County area.
Where? There's no Milford County in NJ
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Where? There's no Milford County in NJ
Sorry - Milburn ie Short Hills etc ... nursing hangover today, so not quite on the ball yet
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:18 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by pickledpossum
Sorry - Milburn ie Short Hills etc ... nursing hangover today, so not quite on the ball yet
oooh nice
Englishmum lives in Short Hills, I believe.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

oooh nice
Englishmum lives in Short Hills, I believe.
Yep, and its her great source of information that led me to this area in the first place, thanks EM
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:41 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Adnams
Thats a real shame. You should have packed all your "smalls" yourself claiming modesty and hidden them in there. Mind you you'd need a lot of smalls for 30 bottles of whiskey.
Does anyones stuff ever really get opened?
Our container was selected for xray. I nearly had kittens, we hadn't brought all the whiskey but we did bring more wine and gin than we should have.
Plus it meant we had an extra 4 weeks without anything in the house.
We spent 7 weeks with air beds and paper plates.
We had bought a new TV, so we had this massive TV and nothing else

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.