Wikiposts

Move to NJA

Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to NJA

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Did you find that your children fitted in O.K with the relevant school year in the U.S. As they start their children older I wondered if British children would be too "advanced" for their appropriate year in the U.S. How do they cater for clever children over there?
She slotted in fine...although I have to say contrary to what we originally thought she was behind in some subjects...especially English grammar.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:44 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Did you find that your children fitted in O.K with the relevant school year in the U.S. As they start their children older I wondered if British children would be too "advanced" for their appropriate year in the U.S. How do they cater for clever children over there?
Our children were behind in Maths when we came here. Because things are taught in a different way they struggled at first (and one of my daughters was classed as gifted and talented in the UK).

Some subjects are totally different.....American history. The children here have done it since kindergarten/1st grade my children had never done it. There was a lot of catching up to do.

It took about 6 months for them all to get to grips with the system.
We are lucky because we live in a very good school district. I can only speak of my personal experience with schools here. We have the IB programme from kindergarten throught to 12th grade and in the high school we also have honours and AP classes.
I thought my girls were bright but they met their match here.

PS They also had to do English as a foreign language here, which enraged me at first but actually was very useful for them because it taught them a lot of stuff about just living here.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Our children were behind in Maths when we came here. Because things are taught in a different way they struggled at first (and one of my daughters was classed as gifted and talented in the UK).

Some subjects are totally different.....American history. The children here have done it since kindergarten/1st grade my children had never done it. There was a lot of catching up to do.

It took about 6 months for them all to get to grips with the system.
We are lucky because we live in a very good school district. I can only speak of my personal experience with schools here. We have the IB programme from kindergarten throught to 12th grade and in the high school we also have honours and AP classes.
I thought my girls were bright but they met their match here.

PS They also had to do English as a foreign language here, which enraged me at first but actually was very useful for them because it taught them a lot of stuff about just living here.
Whereabouts are you? What is the IB programme? Do we have honours and AP classes in New Jersey and the IB programme?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts are you? What is the IB programme? Do we have honours and AP classes in New Jersey and the IB programme?
Yes our local school offers AP and IB programs.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My 5 year old was put straight into 1st grade and skipped kindergarten. I had a long chat with my son's principal and we decided it would be best socially for my 11 year old to be with children of his own age. He struggled at first dealing with inches, feet and yards, american geography and history but he soon caught up. If we were still in England he would be leaving high school this year but he has another two years to go here.

NJ has some of the best public schools in the US, the downside of that being the property taxes are the highest in the US.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
I had a long chat with my son's principal and we decided it would be best socially for my 11 year old to be with children of his own age.
The schools are going to look at this (social and emotional issues) as much as academic, maybe even more so. They don't want to put someone in a grade and have them a older / younger taller / shorter/ more/less mature then the other kids in their class.

When you have found your house and know which school you will be attending, arrange for a meeting with the principal and/or school counselor and go over the curriculum with a fine tooth comb and your kid's transcripts from back home. Generally, they'll be willing to work with you and find what's best for your child.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry not answering your question but I have to ask:Are you from Braintree in Essex??
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The schools are going to look at this (social and emotional issues) as much as academic, maybe even more so. They don't want to put someone in a grade and have them a older / younger taller / shorter/ more/less mature then the other kids in their class.

When you have found your house and know which school you will be attending, arrange for a meeting with the principal and/or school counselor and go over the curriculum with a fine tooth comb and your kid's transcripts from back home. Generally, they'll be willing to work with you and find what's best for your child.
School counsellors can be very useful but they generally only do something for your kids if you keep on top of them.

Many counsellors are very young and/or inexperienced, and it's worth trying to get your kids allocated to one of the senior ones.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How do they cater for clever children over there?
By displaying it on a bumper sticker!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
By displaying it on a bumper sticker!
http://www.cafepress.com/irregulargoods.29493816
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... What is the IB programme?...
http://www.ibo.org/

International Baccalaureate
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Me, my husband and two kids, (10 and 13) are moving to Montville, New Jersey
You have my sympathy!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You have my sympathy!
Why?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Did your children go to public or private school?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Why?
Moving to NJ - it's not called the "armpit of the US" for nothing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.