Reload this Page >

Move to New Jersey

Move to New Jersey

Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Eh2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to New Jersey

Hi
We are currently looking to relocate to New Jersey and I have been asked to go for a last minute visit next week. My husband is being relocated to East Hanover and we are looking at areas such as Morristown and Montclare to live. We have a 7 month old son as well and really nervous about leaving the uk. Is there anyone in these areas or nearby that maybe fancies a drink from next Thursday to Tuesday? I can provide british tea and chocolate! We would love to hear from other Brits in the area.
Thank you so much.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Move to New Jersey

Originally Posted by Eh2015
Hi
We are currently looking to relocate to New Jersey and I have been asked to go for a last minute visit next week. My husband is being relocated to East Hanover and we are looking at areas such as Morristown and Montclare to live. We have a 7 month old son as well and really nervous about leaving the uk. Is there anyone in these areas or nearby that maybe fancies a drink from next Thursday to Tuesday? I can provide british tea and chocolate! We would love to hear from other Brits in the area.
Thank you so much.
Montclair isn't a great commute to/from East Hanover: I guess your spouse works for Novartis?

There are lots of Brits in the East Hanover area in the affluent suburban towns such as Chatham, Madison, Summit, Millburn, Short Hills and Maplewood/South Orange (all on the Midtown Direct train line to New York City).

If you don't need to use trains, then housing is cheaper in bedroom communities eg. Livingston, Florham Park, Whippany, West Orange etc but without two cars you would be stranded and in my opinion, with no real town centers or 'soul' to these towns. The further West you go, the cheaper housing will cost as it is a longer journey to NYC.

Be careful with Morristown - it has a theatre with numerous concerts, restaurants and shops, but in there is a sizeable and growing Hispanic community and crime has been problematic, some of it serious in parts of the town.

Check out the forums for NJ on City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more

Sorry I can't meet up with you, we have a house in Short Hills but my spouse is on an expat posting in Switzerland. Incidentally my Brit expat friend is renting a house in Chatham, NJ and relocating here this Summer. She is on a flight to Zurich right now for her "look-see" visit...
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Eh2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to New Jersey

Thank you so much. I will look up these areas too. I was hoping our move may be a Swiss one but unfortunately not!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to New Jersey

Morristown has some affluent areas but some bad areas...in those areas there are also gang related problems.

I lived in Menham (6 miles west of Motown) for 16 years and would recommend it and Bernardsville. Good schools, virtually no crime... but property and property taxes are very high.

MC is not really you should be looking at if your husband is working in East Hanover.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 19th 2015 at 8:06 pm.