Reload this Page >

Motorbike license in PA

Motorbike license in PA

Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Matthias The Peevish will become famous soon enough
Default Motorbike license in PA

Hi all

Just a quick one about the motocycles laws in PA. I know this area is state specific, but the PA DMV website is close to useless for info, and the phone numbers are all automated, so I wanted to see if anyone knew the answers before I end up going to the licensing office and queuing for eternity just to ask.

Basically, I am currently applying for AOS based on marriage. I am looking to get a used motorbike to get around as soon as I can. I hold a full UK drivers license (no motorbike license), and an international license.

I know the general route to getting a motorbike license here, but I dont know how it works out in my situation - can I get one without a Social Security number? And do I need to get a US drivers license before I can get a motorbike license, or will the UK license be ok to apply?

Anyone with any knowledge of PAs law's help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Matt
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:38 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorbike license in PA

Originally Posted by Matthias The Peevish
Hi all

Just a quick one about the motocycles laws in PA. I know this area is state specific, but the PA DMV website is close to useless for info, and the phone numbers are all automated, so I wanted to see if anyone knew the answers before I end up going to the licensing office and queuing for eternity just to ask.

Basically, I am currently applying for AOS based on marriage. I am looking to get a used motorbike to get around as soon as I can. I hold a full UK drivers license (no motorbike license), and an international license.

I know the general route to getting a motorbike license here, but I dont know how it works out in my situation - can I get one without a Social Security number? And do I need to get a US drivers license before I can get a motorbike license, or will the UK license be ok to apply?

Anyone with any knowledge of PAs law's help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Matt
I just looked on the dmv.pa site and typed motorcycle into the search box and came up with information about motorcycle (class m ) licences.

Try this link:
http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/faq/faq-mcpermit.shtml#Q02
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.pamsp.com/
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Aitch42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about PA but I guess it is similar to Connecticut.

As far as I am aware you don't need to get a US driving license, You need to get a motorcycle permit which allows you to ride for 60 days before you have to take a test - many people ride on these for years I am told. To get the permit you have to do a multi-choice test of 16 questions which you have to get 12 right (when I did it 2 of the questions were about seat belts!). This permit allows to buy and insure a bike - you will probably need a social security number for the insurance or get someone else to insure it and put your name on the insurance.
The test itself is a bit of a joke - it consists of riding around various obstacles in a car park and nothing on the road at all. The guy who took my test had never ridden a motor bike in his life - after saying that 4 people on my test session failed for falling off or riding into the tester!

Hope this helps
Howard
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys - yes I had seen the info on the website about how to get the license, but that is tailored (understandably) to a US citizen, which I am not (yet!!).

Hopefully though it is the same as Conneticut - I am not too worried about the title and insurance as I can always get the bike and insurance through my wife. But I don't think I'd pass as her on my license I.D.

I guess I will take supplies down and get my "deli" ticket in line at the DMV and keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:08 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - yes I had seen the info on the website about how to get the license, but that is tailored (understandably) to a US citizen, which I am not (yet!!).

Hopefully though it is the same as Conneticut - I am not too worried about the title and insurance as I can always get the bike and insurance through my wife. But I don't think I'd pass as her on my license I.D.

I guess I will take supplies down and get my "deli" ticket in line at the DMV and keep my fingers crossed.
It will be like getting your car drivers licence.
Check the part of the website that tells you what documents you need if you are not a US citizen.

When I applied for my licence (car) I had to take all my documents that demonstrated my status plus proof of residency (usually two utility bills etc).
I was on an H4 visa at the time so I had to also take a letter verifying my husbands employment and the letter from the Social security office to say that I wasn't eligible for a ss#.

It really wasn't a hassle providing you have all the documents. I didn't wait very long at the driver centre.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It will be like getting your car drivers licence.
Check the part of the website that tells you what documents you need if you are not a US citizen.
Ok yes thanks I will use the drivers licence documents as the basis, great!

When I applied for my licence (car) I had to take all my documents that demonstrated my status plus proof of residency (usually two utility bills etc).
I was on an H4 visa at the time so I had to also take a letter verifying my husbands employment and the letter from the Social security office to say that I wasn't eligible for a ss#.
I see, so I guess I will need to wait until I have some kind of official document from immigration until I can go any further - I am waiting on my medical appointment next week before I can file my Adjustment of Status request. I presume the Receipt notice from USCIS showing that my case is in process will be enough? Or do I need to contact Social Security office seperate for a letter?

Sorry for all questions, just trying to put myself in best position to actually be able to get around the place while I am waiting to be able to work.

Matt
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:09 am
Who?

Ok yes thanks I will use the drivers licence documents as the basis, great!

I see, so I guess I will need to wait until I have some kind of official document from immigration until I can go any further - I am waiting on my medical appointment next week before I can file my Adjustment of Status request. I presume the Receipt notice from USCIS showing that my case is in process will be enough? Or do I need to contact Social Security office seperate for a letter?

Sorry for all questions, just trying to put myself in best position to actually be able to get around the place while I am waiting to be able to work.

Matt
This is the document that tells you what you need to bring, relevant to your visa status.

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...s/pub195nc.pdf

If you are not yet eligible for a ss# you will need the letter from social security saying you are not eligible.
What paperwork did you enter the country on? That should be enough to show your legal status. I don't know if a receipt notice will be enough but check the link. Find the section relevant to you and just take those documents.

Our visa was a work visa and I'm not sure about any other type.Are you on a K1 visa...there is a section for that if you keep scrolling down.

Last edited by jumping doris; Jun 30th 2008 at 3:12 am.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:50 am
Just Joined

This is the document that tells you what you need to bring, relevant to your visa status.

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...s/pub195nc.pdf

If you are not yet eligible for a ss# you will need the letter from social security saying you are not eligible.
What paperwork did you enter the country on? That should be enough to show your legal status. I don't know if a receipt notice will be enough but check the link. Find the section relevant to you and just take those documents.
Thanks for the pointers, its much appreciated. As for my immigration status, I'm not actually sure which I fall into! I came to the country on a VWP, intending to return. To cut a long story short, my then girlfriend popped the question, and a quickly planned wedding later, I am now filing my Adjustment of Status forms. So I am not sure which category I fall in.

I will see what the DMV have to say tomorrow. Thanks for the help, it means I can at least bring as many documents as I have in case they are able to help. I sure hope so - I am lost without transport while my wife is at work!

Thanks again
Matt
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Actually scratch that, I found the documents I need

 Social Security Card, or letter from SSA indicating that SSA did not
make a decision yet, or SSA rejection letter
 2 proofs of residency,
 Immigration documentation indicating status, and
 One of the following:
• Employment Authorization Document I-688B or I-766
• Passport

So I guess its the wait for my AOS filing acknoledment receipt from USCIS, and a phonecall to SSA for the letter from them. Man I hope this doesnt take as long as I suspect it will!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pointers, its much appreciated. As for my immigration status, I'm not actually sure which I fall into! I came to the country on a VWP, intending to return. To cut a long story short, my then girlfriend popped the question, and a quickly planned wedding later, I am now filing my Adjustment of Status forms. So I am not sure which category I fall in.

I will see what the DMV have to say tomorrow. Thanks for the help, it means I can at least bring as many documents as I have in case they are able to help. I sure hope so - I am lost without transport while my wife is at work!

Thanks again
Matt
Truthfully, you're 'nobody' right now.

In their lingo (pdf) you are a WT (wavier tourist).
Once you file your AOS applications, you'll be "Applicant for adjustment of status". Right now, you're a tourist, and you probably won't be able to get any joy.

When you apply for AOS, you'll also apply for an EAD (work permit) which will entitle you to a SS#. When you have both of those documents, you can meet the DMV standards (plus your Notice of Receipt I-797C--save *everything* immigration related from now on, please!).
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Truthfully, you're 'nobody' right now.
Yep, I am beginning to feel like that now - and suspect that will continue

At the trip to the licensing centre, they told me I cant apply for a bike learners permit until I get a full Pennsylvania drivers license. For which I must have a Social Security Number. :curse: - So looks like its the long wait for me to be able to actually get around this place.

Thanks all
Matt
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:51 pm
Who?

Yep, I am beginning to feel like that now - and suspect that will continue

At the trip to the licensing centre, they told me I cant apply for a bike learners permit until I get a full Pennsylvania drivers license. For which I must have a Social Security Number. :curse: - So looks like its the long wait for me to be able to actually get around this place.

Thanks all
Matt
I didn't have a ss# when I took my driving test but I did have a letter from Social security saying I was not eligible for a ss#.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

I didn't have a ss# when I took my driving test but I did have a letter from Social security saying I was not eligible for a ss#.
Ahh, thats good to know - I was hoping that might be the case, even though the guy told me I would need the number (he didnt fill me with confidence to be honest!). Did you just go to the SS office and ask them for a letter? If so, what did they need from you in order to give you the letter?

Thanks
Matt
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:48 pm
Who?

Ahh, thats good to know - I was hoping that might be the case, even though the guy told me I would need the number (he didnt fill me with confidence to be honest!). Did you just go to the SS office and ask them for a letter? If so, what did they need from you in order to give you the letter?

Thanks
Matt
We were first here on H1 and H4 visas so we went to the ss office to get my husbands number and we filled in the form as well (knowing that we weren't eligible). They just gave us a letter there and then saying we couldn't have a number.
We took all the documents that proved who we were and our status in the US.

It may tell you on the ss website what you would need to bring.

I am really surprised that you can't get a motorbike license without first getting a full drivers license.
Don't forget you will also need to have a medical exam before you go for your learners permit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.