Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Originally Posted by peacelover
I understand how you feel Frank, I had the same thing a couple of weeks back, it tore me up.
Thanks.
Reg.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't want to pile it on you Frank, but have you thought of anything for wifey yet? Now that's one you don't want to miss or you will be in trouble.
She gets me, thats more then enough. An English Gentleman, who left the old country, to be with her. I moved to the colonies for her, what more can she need.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills
I know what you mean. Found out recently that both of my younger sisters in the UK are planning to get married sometime next year (not to each other i might add ).

Due to the cost etc, will only be able to attend one.
Guess I'll have to flip a coin!
Could you try and persuade them to have a double wedding so you will be able to see them both getting married?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Originally Posted by frrussre
She lives at home on her own. Has fullsize house, she's not leaving. Goes, out, goes shopping.
Reg. Frank R.
This might be a long shot.....but is there any chance that you could give her an air ticket for her birthday so she can come and visit you for a short time?

I guess you would need to buy an economy plus/world traveller plus ticket as she would benefit from the extra space. You might have to pay quite a bit for travel insurance though.

My friends mum regularly travelled to and from Birmingham UK to Newark (to visit her daughter) and actually got her green card at the age of 93....she was the oldest person the US Embassy in London had ever interviewed!

However, she didn't like living in NJ (just across the Hudson river in E.Guttenburg) and would just take short trips back to England. Sadly she died just before Christmas.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:55 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I'll just hope that my sister got him something that she can add my name on - I just sent her an email. I'm trying to find out where they are so I can talk to my mum to get her input. Usually just get him a jumper or something for the computer.

He's really difficult to buy for - he'll be 56, not many interests outside computers, fan of the Beatles, just retired but has started his own printing company (printing the local free paper that he originally started a few years ago).
What's your budget ??
If he's into computers and printing then presumably he uses a mac - right ??
Continuing the apple theme get him an ipod and stuff it full of beetles songs (he prob already has the music himself so maybe your sis could steal his collection and load up the ipod).

Anyway, just an idea - best I could do
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This might be a long shot.....but is there any chance that you could give her an air ticket for her birthday so she can come and visit you for a short time?

I guess you would need to buy an economy plus/world traveller plus ticket as she would benefit from the extra space. You might have to pay quite a bit for travel insurance though.

My friends mum regularly travelled to and from Birmingham UK to Newark (to visit her daughter) and actually got her green card at the age of 93....she was the oldest person the US Embassy in London had ever interviewed!

However, she didn't like living in NJ (just across the Hudson river in E.Guttenburg) and would just take short trips back to England. Sadly she died just before Christmas.
Good idea, but.
She used to travel the world, since me father died, she has not left UK. I tried every year, for many years to get her to come to NY. I even bought her tickets once. I figured, it was cheaper for her to come here. One ticket as against 3. She could have come for 3 months at a time. Never happened. Certainly won't now. Its all part of her punishing, me for leaving UK. She makes me visit her. Guilt trip.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What's your budget ??
If he's into computers and printing then presumably he uses a mac - right ??
Continuing the apple theme get him an ipod and stuff it full of beetles songs (he prob already has the music himself so maybe your sis could steal his collection and load up the ipod).

Anyway, just an idea - best I could do
Ah this is where you've escaped to.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:04 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ah this is where you've escaped to.
Shh - they don't know I'm here
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Could you try and persuade them to have a double wedding so you will be able to see them both getting married?
Our about a double wedding & my mothers 90th b'day party.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:06 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
My mother will be 90 years young or is it old, this week. Due to various circumstances, I/we will not be going to UK, too much going on here in US. I have to say, I'm already having major guilt trip. Missed birthdays, weddings & funerals, does make life of an Expat difficult.
Reg. Frank R.

I don't know what to say other than I feel for you. It is so darned bloody hard on us sometimes, and hard on our folks back in the UK too. Chin up and don't get too upset over it.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Shh - they don't know I'm here

OK your secrets safe with me.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2006 at 8:20 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:19 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

OK you're secrets safe with me.
Now someone has to be taking the p. I can understand that people sometimes type your instead of you're because it's quicker but you don't often see someone do the opposite -or maybe the apostrophe managed to get in the wrong word - slippery buggers aren't they (your secret's safe with me).
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Now someone has to be taking the p. I can understand that people sometimes type your instead of you're because it's quicker but you don't often see someone do the opposite -or maybe the apostrophe managed to get in the wrong word - slippery buggers aren't they (your secret's safe with me).
Duly noted and corrected. I don't know where I am this afternoon jumping from one thread/forum to another. Just posted in the wrong thread and had to delete it. Think I'll have to lay down for a while.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:26 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Duly noted and corrected. I don't know where I am this afternoon jumping from one thread/forum to another. Just posted in the wrong thread and had to delete it. Think I'll have to lay down for a while.
You're on here far too often.

Anyway, sorry for almost hijacking this thread. If it's a time issue that stops you getting back you could always try getting a last minute Friday night fare and returning on a Sunday. I did this once and it wasn't as bad as it sounds.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're on here far too often.

Anyway, sorry for almost hijacking this thread. If it's a time issue that stops you getting back you could always try getting a last minute Friday night fare and returning on a Sunday. I did this once and it wasn't as bad as it sounds.
Its OK Frank I got this one for you. He can't he's taking his son to visit a uni in Ohio this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.