Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Most Irritating Phrase

Most Irritating Phrase

Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:41 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Most Irritating Phrase

Originally Posted by elfman
Somebody in my office just asked me if I want to "touch base" in the morning. Grrrrr. Actually I think this one is used in most English speaking countries but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

so what does 'touch base' mean????

Ant
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Most Irritating Phrase

Originally Posted by Manc
that's funny, most americans in my part of the world would get sick of hearing

"Give us yer fukkin' wallet or I'll cut ya."
...or perhaps that well known ice-breaker:

"You lookin' at my bird/beer/tattoos/belly..."

or just the friendly

"What the f**k you lookin' at..."
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:20 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
so what does 'touch base' mean????

Ant
It's one of those sporting euphemisms like " end of play" the " whole nine yards" etc. This is from baseball as in touching the base. Still a shite annoying saying though.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:39 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why but almost everyone I speak to at some point says "oh..my..God..." with plenty of theatrics. It annoys the crap out of me. Where's the variety for goodness sake? I'd give a weeks pay to hear someone from back home say "well **** me" instead.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
I don't know why but almost everyone I speak to at some point says "oh..my..God..." with plenty of theatrics. It annoys the crap out of me. Where's the variety for goodness sake? I'd give a weeks pay to hear someone from back home say "well **** me" instead.

My father in law often says "my lands" in the kind of situation where a gold old fashioned "****in 'ell!" would be more appropriate (and satisfying). Always thought that was strange.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

if I never here another oh my god!!!! again it will be too soon........and I KNOW like I know tomorrow is tuesday I will hear it a dozen times this week
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:38 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one I heard yesterday that annoyed the crap out of me: "...and this is one fo the funnest things you can do". "Funnest"? Is that a word? And that came from a clinical educator for crying out loud!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The most annoying thing for me is not exactly a phrase, but that action that has people flapping their hands near their face. It's just such an odd thing to do.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why but almost everyone I speak to at some point says "oh..my..God..." ...
Surely you mean "..... Gawd!"
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:31 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrosebud
I will never learn to appreciate the total over use of the word 'like' squeezed into every sentence as many times as possible. " so like it was like raining like really hard, and like I had just like walked out of the like salon, so like my hair was like perfect, and I like had no umbrella like....... (actual conversation witnessed in a store (d'oh.....shop...sorry)
Then you would not enjoy hearing my daughter, who has lived here 15 months, telling her friend on the phone about a conversation she had with another friend.

"And I was like, 'no', and she was like, 'why not?' and I was like, 'because I'm not going!' and she was like, 'please go!' " etc, etc. This continues for several minutes at a time.

I asked her whatever happened to such old-fashioned words as 'said', 'asked', and 'replied'. She started at me blankly.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:26 pm
'ey up flower

englishrosebud will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbark
Then you would not enjoy hearing my daughter, who has lived here 15 months, telling her friend on the phone about a conversation she had with another friend.

"And I was like, 'no', and she was like, 'why not?' and I was like, 'because I'm not going!' and she was like, 'please go!' " etc, etc. This continues for several minutes at a time.

I asked her whatever happened to such old-fashioned words as 'said', 'asked', and 'replied'. She started at me blankly.
wow !! Only 15 months! I had no idea it's so contangeous
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:31 pm
'ey up flower

englishrosebud will become famous soon enough

I overheard someone telling a friend they had "gotten burglarized" lately !!!

2 of my favourite wrong words used together...even better !
Old Jan 11th 2005, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

'Littler' :scared: 'Littlest'

What happened to smaller or smallest....

BOO-YA!!!!! This one drove me nuts at a 4th of July firework display one year, we always get next to a loud one and this 'word' came out of his booming gob, everytime a firework went off...it was the longest display of my life!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

not an irritating phrase as such.. but my girlfriend just asked..

"How do I turn the Tea pot on?"

made me laugh
Old Jan 11th 2005, 4:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
"How do I turn the Tea pot on?"
now that's a bizarre fetish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.