Reload this Page >

Most Irritating Phrase

Most Irritating Phrase

Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Most Irritating Phrase

Originally Posted by Dan725
Just wondering what you all find the most irritating Americanism of the English language!

For me, its a toss up between "Wadder" and "Erb" - I think Erb is winning at the moment, everytime I hear it on the TV its starting to make me cringe! Never noticed it till a visiting friend pointed it out!
Not an Americanism but a politicianism, it really pisses me of when you hear policitians reply to a question "The fact of the matter is .... " and then go on to answer their own question and no the one that was asked in the first place!!

No wonder politicians are considerred at the bottom of the food chain.

Minty
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:05 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
manners maketh the man (and woman)!
The phrase means manners seperates man (the species) from the rest of the animal kingdom, woman as half of the man species are encorated by default as part of the species.

It really jerks my chain when the word "man' is being used to describe the species and people think that in these politically correct time they think they should say "and woman" so that no-one is offended. Change the name of the species to dog, cat, monkey or horse if you dont want to be part of the man species but don't say "and woman" because it is not gramatically or bioligically correct.

So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:34 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, ha-I can identitfy with that, my husband is always getting asked at his work if he's ever killed a crockadile (he's a Brummie!!!). It does surprise me because I've always been able to distinguish between a Brit and an Aussie accent wise !! Doesn't sound anymore alike than someone from the Bronx coupled with someone from New Orleans!
And a young Chap who was serving me at the grocery store told me (after grinning stupidly at me for what seemed like ages) that he should really visit Ireland. Hmm, so should I, I told him, I have never been there either. He looked somewhat confused. I said I was from ENGLAND and that it was like saying he had a canadian accent. LOL.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
The phrase means manners seperates man (the species) from the rest of the animal kingdom, woman as half of the man species are encorated by default as part of the species.

It really jerks my chain when the word "man' is being used to describe the species and people think that in these politically correct time they think they should say "and woman" so that no-one is offended. Change the name of the species to dog, cat, monkey or horse if you dont want to be part of the man species but don't say "and woman" because it is not gramatically or bioligically correct.

So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock

You mean grammatically and biologically correct?

I always took it to mean that it meant it was what distinguished an individual one from another-he has good manners, she has bad manners etc.
As for PC, no, that is NOT why I put that in there-I'm female, hence that reference.
There endeth the lesson.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenw
And a young Chap who was serving me at the grocery store told me (after grinning stupidly at me for what seemed like ages) that he should really visit Ireland. Hmm, so should I, I told him, I have never been there either. He looked somewhat confused. I said I was from ENGLAND and that it was like saying he had a canadian accent. LOL.
Discussion in a bar awhile ago

him
"Where in Scotland are you from?"

me
"I'm not from Scotland I'm from England"

him
"Aaah well it's all the same"

me
"Where in Canada are you from?"

there endeth the conversation.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:14 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I have to chime in on this one, since I am also in Rete's generation-manners maketh the man (and woman)! I get irritated when I go to a fast food place or something similar and am just handed the food or whatever without a peep from the employee after I've given them the money. Occasionally I will pointedly say you're welcome in response to their silence. Sometimes they get the hint and reply thank you.

I hate that as well! I cannot stand when you cant even get a response from someone. Or even worse, when people come in to my office and I ask 'may I help you?' and they continue to talk on their cell phone!!! as if I dont exist! I just walk away now and wait for them to call for me. and also on the 'can I axe you something?" No! you cannot axe me!! Or, 'she be here in a while...' or, 'you know what I'm saying?' AARGHHH!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 7:59 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Whilst in a local pizza restaurant the other day, girl behing the take-away counter asked if I was from England, naturally I replied "yes from London, England"
And she then said "Oh, my dance teacher is from England, you might know her."

I resisted the temptation to say "Oh yes, the dance teacher! I am proud to say that even though there are only 60 million people living in the United Kingdom, I know each and every one of them"
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
Whilst in a local pizza restaurant the other day, girl behing the take-away counter asked if I was from England, naturally I replied "yes from London, England"
And she then said "Oh, my dance teacher is from England, you might know her."

I resisted the temptation to say "Oh yes, the dance teacher! I am proud to say that even though there are only 60 million people living in the United Kingdom, I know each and every one of them"

In all fairness, the same thing happened to me when on holiday in Kos-everybody had a relative in the USA and they all expected I would know them,
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:06 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

" oh my bad" is another one, what is that ghetto baby talk?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:30 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

"Homicide bomber" irritates the hell out of me.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:58 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Most Irritating phrases

"No I don't **** on first dates"

"especially not in the ass"

"No I wont kiss you"

"especially there"

"now please put it away, before I call the police"

"let me out the car"

"right now"

Another one is

"Sir, here is a restraining order"
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Most Irritating phrases

"No I don't **** on first dates"

"especially not in the ass"

"No I wont kiss you"

"especially there"

"now please put it away, before I call the police"

"let me out the car"

"right now"

Another one is

"Sir, here is a restraining order"
you've obviously been 'hanging out' with the wrong type of people......'hanging out' there's another irritating phrase
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:16 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

US TV coverage of football (soccer) throws up some irritating phraseology - commentators referring to a penalty kick as a "PK" particularly sets my teeth on edge.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
US TV coverage of football (soccer) throws up some irritating phraseology - commentators referring to a penalty kick as a "PK" particularly sets my teeth on edge.
I've even heard the penalty area described as "the Red Zone"!! before
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
... Slightly different .. but after talking to people in bars, i hated the words ..

" Do you guys have "

As if the UK was the planet Zog

a guy once asked me "do you have running water in the UK"......same guy asked if I was glad that I lived here now at least your FREE.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.