Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Most Irritating Phrase

Most Irritating Phrase

Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:11 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Irritating Phrase

Slightly off topic and since someone took my favorite " whatever" how about " seen it, done it, bought the t-shirt" or " by end of play" in setting a business deadline.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:23 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Most Irritating Phrase

' have a nice day!' - from shop assistants in every dam shop!!! - like they really care about my day??? - so fake, though it is LA

Ant
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:30 am
Just Joined

cheekymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, that "Have a nice day" stuff can be really abrasive (especially if I'm not having a nice day!) There's a grocery store around here where I always encounter that. I'm sure it's simply store policy, and the staff are told that they MUST "greet" customers. Oh well...

Now for something that really bugs me -- "bye for now". Of course, it's "for now". Why the hell does someone have to say that? Why not just say "good-bye", and I'll assume it's for now???

Here's something that I don't hear, but increasingly observe in written communications -- "loose" rather than "lose". You can't loose money, but you might LOSE money. If you have loose lips, that might cause you to lose money. Of course, loose monetary policy could also be problematical. Oh well, let's not loose sleep over this...

Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:30 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

"I was like...yeah...he was LIKE....and she was LIKE...so yeah, I was like over at Johnny's house"

The word LIKE is by far the most ****ing iritating thing i've heard so far.
I have actually started replying to people as if I were a psychiatrist trying to figure out a puzzle...trouble is no one gets the joke.

"so you were not actually at Johnny's house?....this was a dream that seemed like his house?...or perhaps you were on drugs and that's why it seemed LIKE his house?"
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'll have to remember to like my "You're welcome" at home if I should ever meet you. In my day (another phrase I hate but is appropriate) we were taught manners. Thank you was always followed with the words You're welcome.

At least it isn't you're like welcome or just plain ~right~!

I have to chime in on this one, since I am also in Rete's generation-manners maketh the man (and woman)! I get irritated when I go to a fast food place or something similar and am just handed the food or whatever without a peep from the employee after I've given them the money. Occasionally I will pointedly say you're welcome in response to their silence. Sometimes they get the hint and reply thank you.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:10 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
"so you were not actually at Johnny's house?....this was a dream that seemed like his house?...or perhaps you were on drugs and that's why it seemed LIKE his house?"
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

" But wait, Call within the next ten minutes and we'll send you a second (insert crappy kitchen gadget here) absolutely free, yes you get two really crappy kitchen gadgets for just $19.95"
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

Britarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Just wondering what you all find the most irritating Americanism of the English language!
Having to listen to Britishism of the American language on tele, or, the piccies.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:26 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

There's a guy at work who, when asked for information, starts his answer with the phrase "that's gonna be".... I don't know what irritates me more - the phrase itself or the fact that after hearing it so often, I'm sure to find myself saying it soon.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Not so much a phrase, but the fact the Hispanic immigrants working in shops/ fast food chains round here ALWAYS stand in front of you speaking Spanish
whilst you are waiting to order. THen they try to make out they cannot understand you. Fine if you don't understand English ( Or American even ) then piss off back to your country of birth.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
THen they try to make out they cannot understand you. Fine if you don't understand English ( Or American even ) then piss off back to your country of birth.
Alternatively, you could learn Spanish! It's quite a common language in the US.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:52 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
hehehe its quite funny I live in CT and that is the norm in every shop non english speaking poor paid immigrants

anyway I was once in Ben and Jerrys and a girl asked where I was from I told her England where she told me her gran lived there and told me the name of the street I said where abouts she said England!!! do Americans think that the UK is the size of Rhode Island !!! hahaha. and of course we get many asking us where in Australia we are from ???
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
hehehe its quite funny I live in CT and that is the norm in every shop non english speaking poor paid immigrants

anyway I was once in Ben and Jerrys and a girl asked where I was from I told her England where she told me her gran lived there and told me the name of the street I said where abouts she said England!!! do Americans think that the UK is the size of Rhode Island !!! hahaha. and of course we get many asking us where in Australia we are from ???

Ha, ha-I can identitfy with that, my husband is always getting asked at his work if he's ever killed a crockadile (he's a Brummie!!!). It does surprise me because I've always been able to distinguish between a Brit and an Aussie accent wise !! Doesn't sound anymore alike than someone from the Bronx coupled with someone from New Orleans!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Why should I ? If I went to live in France they would not learn English. It is really annoying to go into a BK and find they advertize a burger in Spanish but not English & you need them to translate.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Why should I ?
It might broaden your horizons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.