Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Most Irritating Phrase

Most Irritating Phrase

Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:31 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Irritating Phrase

Originally Posted by Manc
and it's always something really innocuous like
"Do you guys have Coca Cola"
or
"Do you guys have indoor toilets"

I don't come from Swaziland mate.

You sure ???
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
You sure ???
says the Wiganer.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:40 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

"Can you see how that benefits you?" - by smarmy salesmen, you have no come back apart from "shut up you twat"

"dag it"

"nu-hu"

"Winningest" - without a doubt the twatiest word in America

The Fox News show that is "one hour earlier" well that makes sense, not

"War on Terror", how can you be at war with Terror, terror is a weapon of war and not an enemy, you might as well be at with sarcasm.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:40 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
says the Wiganer.
I'm sure I know what you mean but I may prefer to ignore it
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:45 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Slightly off topic ....

But I can still remeber the gasps of amazement when I pulled out my mobile ( not cell ) phone ... I looked around .. Its wasn't a flip phone and it was light years infront, technology wise, than anything they had .... I could phone another country never mind state ...
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

In all fairness I have to say that there are many expressions here in the US that are purely regional and can be just as irritating or frustrating to those of us who are Americans but not from that area.
Examples- I'm waiting ON so and so, instead of waiting FOR so and so.
Can I hold your pen (translated, May I borrow your pen)
and so on.....
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:25 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
In all fairness I have to say that there are many expressions here in the US that are purely regional and can be just as irritating or frustrating to those of us who are Americans but not from that area.
and so on.....
Or as my husband says, "Let me see the remote!" translates as "Give me the remote!"

I also used to have a problem with him answering me "I don't care," when I asked him a question with choices (like what to have for dinner). I used to get upset about this until I realised that he actually meant, "I don't mind." Phew!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:34 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

"Out of town"

I hate that one. As in "I was out of town last week", or "oh, you've been out of town".

NO! I wasn't f***IN out of town I was out of the bloody country. I spent 11 hours on a plane and a total of 24 hours travelling time to get there. This was not a trip to Vegas!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:38 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

"Y'all"

example: "How y'all doin' ?"

Even when there is only you standing there.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

you know 'like'.....

Drives me insane and all my kids friends say it ALL the time...'like' they can't say anything, any sentence without 'like' being in it once or twice...AGH!

Oh yes, here's another one... 'two times' instead of 'twice'....

And 'refrigerator' rather than 'fridge'
Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Rockgurl]
Whenever you say thanks they have to say "You're welcome" in that Stepford Wives kind of way. Stop it!

Hi,

I've starting saying that as well, oh my god I'm becoming a Stepford wife!!!
I really hate it, but it seems to be a habit. I'll have to nip that in the bud.

I had somebody once ask me "Do you have ice". Arggggggggggggg....

When people ask me where I come from, I try to expain I'm from England but I've lived in Scotland for many years and then they say "What part of Ireland do you come from". Arggggggggggg again. This has happened to me several times. Do they not teach Geography in US schools.

Sue
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suess
Do they not teach Geography in US schools.
Certainly do! Ask anybody here and they’ll tell you the pyramid is just down the Strip from the Eiffel Tower.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
and so on.....
One phrase I hate is "I stood in bed" instead of "I stayed in bed"
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
When it's ten to four and they say it's ten of four....grrr...I hate that!

Whenever you say thanks they have to say "You're welcome" in that Stepford Wives kind of way. Stop it!

When they say it's two thousand five instead of two thousand and five. Aaargh!

Them: "Are you all set?" Me: "Yes I'm fine thanks". Them: "No, but are you all set", Me: "Thanks....I'm fine, really". *insert strange look*

I'll have to remember to like my "You're welcome" at home if I should ever meet you. In my day (another phrase I hate but is appropriate) we were taught manners. Thank you was always followed with the words You're welcome.

At least it isn't you're like welcome or just plain ~right~!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thank you was always followed with the words You're welcome.
This is a weirdness on the British English side, not the American one. Many other European languages require a reply to thank you, but British English really does not.

Only if someone really stresses a thank you with a thank you very, very much does it generate a reply from a Brit, commonly something like Don’t mention it! To Brit ears, the You’re welcome! of McDonald’s fame equates about the same as Eff off! with attitude. When it’s done in a foreign language, it sounds like a game of ping pong with everybody waiting for someone to miss the ball so they can all go home.

Maybe this is why the Brits have a reputation for being cold, or possibly they don’t see the need to reply to thank you because they are so aloof. Chicken or egg?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.