Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Most Irritating Phrase

Most Irritating Phrase

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 12:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Irritating Phrase

I miss the adverb. When will something "work perfectly" rather than "work perfect". Of course this is as much the case in the UK as the US. Also why doe people use normalcy when normality sounds so much better.

If we could only have the same command of Englsh as Vicky on Little Britain
"no but, no but, no but......"
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 2:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Most Irritating Phrase

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have got to take issue with you on the route pronunciation, that is regional-some of us say root, some of say rout. Just like aunt.
The satellite navigation system in our Volvo gives you the choice of having either a male or female voice (in an American accent) to give you directions.

The male voice (he sounds like a nice friendly chap) says 'route' as in root....but the female voice (in a bossy tone which irritates me) says route as in 'rout'....I can't bear it and always want to 'correct' her LOL!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 2:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The satellite navigation system in our Volvo gives you the choice of having either a male or female voice (in an American accent) to give you directions.

The male voice (he sounds like a nice friendly chap) says 'route' as in root....but the female voice (in a bossy tone which irritates me) says route as in 'rout'....I can't bear it and always want to 'correct' her LOL!
I say root and ahnt but that's how we pronounce it in in New England where I grew up.However in the Midwest and South where I've lived it's rout and ant!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 3:27 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

I know you're speaking of the reverse, but I have to say that it took me ages to figure out what a carboot sale was. It's basically a garage/yard sale, but was originally done from the trunk of the car...correct. So, now, even though it's done on tables in a yard or garage, it's still called a carboot or boot sale.

Also, the word bonnet, as used for the hood of the car.
Another time, a woman on our compound complained that I'd sent out a flyer for an event and used the date as April 15th, 2004, for example. She came to me and said "How rediculous, you would never actually say April 15th would you, you would say 15 April." I had a very difficult time explaining to her that yes, Americans do say April 15th...she just couldn't wrap her head around it.

C'est la vie...
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
I know you're speaking of the reverse, but I have to say that it took me ages to figure out what a carboot sale was. It's basically a garage/yard sale, but was originally done from the trunk of the car...correct. So, now, even though it's done on tables in a yard or garage, it's still called a carboot or boot sale.

Another time, a woman on our compound complained that I'd sent out a flyer for an event and used the date as April 15th, 2004, for example. She came to me and said "How rediculous, you would never actually say April 15th would you, you would say 15 April." I had a very difficult time explaining to her that yes, Americans do say April 15th...she just couldn't wrap her head around it.

C'est la vie...

Except the US Govt uses 15 April instead of April 15. I got in the habit of dating things that way when I was an Army wife and still do it.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:04 pm
Sursum corda

These are NOT and I repeat NOT irritating to me, but I wonder where they come from:

He's a big girl's blouse.
It's a bit parky out ( I know the phrase it's a bit King Billy and understand, but parky??)
It's rather black over Bob's mother's.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

"How much do you make?

This really really irrates the heck out of me when I get asked this.

Originally Posted by Dan725
Just wondering what you all find the most irritating Americanism of the English language!

For me, its a toss up between "Wadder" and "Erb" - I think Erb is winning at the moment, everytime I hear it on the TV its starting to make me cringe! Never noticed it till a visiting friend pointed it out!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:34 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2

C'est la vie...
A colleague was confused when I used boot and bonnet - his response was: "How does that make sense? A bonnet is something that goes on your head". My response: "What's a hood then?". Others in the office laughed at him for that one.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
These are NOT and I repeat NOT irritating to me, but I wonder where they come from:

He's a big girl's blouse.
When I first saw this written down somewhere last year, I remember thinking, "What does a blouse have to do with anything in this context -- and for that matter, why a BIG girl's blouse? Why not just GIRL'S blouse? Why are they picking on the fat chicks?"

Mark explained that it's sort of similar to saying to someone, "Stop being such a big baby!" It's not that you're talking about a BIG, FAT, BLUBBERLY baby -- you're calling them a big BABY. Just like saying, "He's such a big GIRL'S BLOUSE!" (all caps added for emphasis only!)

On another topic... I'm one of those people who uses "ROOT" and "ROUT" interchangeably. Sometimes it sounds strange to say one instead of the other, depending on the context.

Probably the strangest example of this is that I'll call Route 66 around the DC area "rout" 66, but if I'm talking about the infamous Route 66 that crosses the US, I'll pronounce it "root" 66. It must be a regional thing, because most people around DC, where I grew up, call the local road "rout" but the national road "root".

Also, if I use "route" as a verb (ie, "They're routing the overflow traffic onto Arlington Blvd") I always pronounce is "rout". "Rooting" is something you do at a sports event, to cheer on your favorite team or athlete.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
"Hey Girl!"

Quite possibly the most annoying phrase ever.
More annoying than 'Hey Hon!' (as in Honey)?

How about the whole bakery-cyclery-eatery class of words. (I know Brits use a few, but they go overboard here...)
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Not so much a phrase, but the fact the Hispanic immigrants working in shops/ fast food chains round here ALWAYS stand in front of you speaking Spanish
whilst you are waiting to order. THen they try to make out they cannot understand you. Fine if you don't understand English ( Or American even ) then piss off back to your country of birth.
That's like when you go to a chip shop in London and hear nothing but arabic or farsi

It's funny hearing the "other side" of the expat life from a British standpoint. I can relate on the opposite spectrum. Although I must admit to not knowing some of the annoying phases that have been mentioned here except of course the wadder thang being I'm a New Yawker
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 5:16 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Pronouncing words like institute 'institoot' rather than the British 'instichoot'

-Becs
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 6:44 pm
Banned

precise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to allprecise_diamond is a name known to all

10 till 4 instead of 10 to 4.
Fanny pack, gggrrrr
Axe me instead of ask me.
Saucer instead of side plate/tea plate.

Sorry if I have repeated any from other posters.