British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Most Dangerous Cities USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/most-dangerous-cities-usa-338824/)

Ray Nov 22nd 2005 5:08 am

Most Dangerous Cities USA

Most Dangerous Cities:
1. Camden, N.J.
2. Detroit
3. St. Louis
4. Flint, Mich.
5. Richmond, Va.
6. Baltimore
7. Atlanta
8. New Orleans
9. Gary, Ind.
10. Birmingham, Ala.

Safest Cities:
1. Newton, Mass.
2. Clarkstown, N.Y.
3. Amherst, N.Y.
4. Mission Viejo, Calif.
5. Brick Township, N.J.
6. Troy, Mich.
7. Thousand Oaks, Calif.
8. Round Rock, Texas
9. Lake Forest, Calif.
10. Cary, N.C.

Bob Nov 22nd 2005 5:53 am

Re: Most Dangerous Cities USA

Interesting list....Newton Mass...sounds familiar...hmmm..

robskatie Nov 22nd 2005 10:56 am

I'm sure I had seen Washington DC on that list also :confused: (for most dangerous)

snowbunny Nov 22nd 2005 11:19 am

Round Rock is the bedroom community/Dell conclave just north of Austin. It is in a different county and its law enforcement pride itself on throwing the book, in stone format, at everyone they encounter. I wouldn't live there for anything, but yeah, it's safe.... from everyone except the police.

Drebin Nov 22nd 2005 11:20 am

No Compton, CA?

snowbunny Nov 22nd 2005 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Drebin
No Compton, CA?

Depends on if you only look at homicide rate or if you include all violent crime which involved use of a weapon or bodily harm.

And possibly the women in Compton who are provocatively dressed were all "asking for it." :rolleyes:

Pimpbot Nov 22nd 2005 12:35 pm

How sad for Detroit, now that they are number two in obesity and crime rate.

doctor scrumpy Nov 22nd 2005 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

Just goes to show, with less fat they could be #1 for crime !

Manc Nov 22nd 2005 1:41 pm

always the bridesmaids...........

doctor scrumpy Nov 22nd 2005 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
always the bridesmaids...........

Fat bridesmaids who would steal the wedding gifts ?

Manc Nov 22nd 2005 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Fat bridesmaids who would steal the wedding gifts ?

then shoot the groom.........

CarlM Nov 22nd 2005 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
then shoot the groom.........

True dat

Check out these Ghetto wedding pics - the cake on page 3 has to be seen to be believed! http://www.moynihaninstitute.org/ghettowed.htm

gruffbrown Nov 22nd 2005 3:15 pm

We're 5 miles from Camden.....deep joy :rolleyes:

gruffbrown Nov 22nd 2005 3:38 pm

I've been to Camden quite a few times and can't say I ever felt threatened. I wonder how much of the crime is Gang related?

Morgan Quitno bases their report on last years Crime figures. Seemingly homicide dropped in Camden 44% in 2005.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...y/13030674.htm

Elvira Nov 22nd 2005 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We're 5 miles from Camden.....deep joy :rolleyes:

Would that be Camden market? :D Better watch your pockets though ;)

gruffbrown Nov 22nd 2005 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Would that be Camden market? :D Better watch your pockets though ;)

3000 miles away and it still gets a bad reputation...odd :)

Elvira Nov 22nd 2005 3:43 pm

3000 miles away and it still gets a bad reputation...odd :)

I have fond memories of Camden Market - lost in the mists of time. It's pretty cr4p these days, unfortunately...

Partystar Nov 22nd 2005 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
I have fond memories of Camden Market - lost in the mists of time. It's pretty cr4p these days, unfortunately...

Looked like Kate Winslet was having fun there in that American Express ad!

Bob Nov 22nd 2005 4:24 pm

definately slipping aren't they... :D

Beer:30 Nov 22nd 2005 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
I'm sure I had seen Washington DC on that list also :confused: (for most dangerous)

I think DC was 11th or 13th, not far off the top 10.

Here are the latest census demographics for those cities.

Camden- 16% white, 84% other
Detroit- 12% white, 88% other
St. Louis- 44% white, 56% other
Flint- 41% white, 59% other
Richmond- 38% white, 62% other
Baltimore- 32% white, 68% other
Atlanta- 33% white, 67% other
New Orleans- 28% white, 72% other
Gary- 12% white, 88% other
Birmingham- 24% white, 76% other

Facts taken from the latest census figures.
Not sure that race makes a difference, I think it is more socio-economic.

Lord Lionheart Nov 22nd 2005 4:27 pm

I guess it's a good thing I never heard anything about that job which would have meant relocating to Maryland?!
Never even called me back after I spenta Sunday afternoon putting together a business plan before I was even interviewed.......... I have met some time wasters in the last 6 months :mad:

TN-Dave Nov 23rd 2005 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie

The list is worked out on a ration per capita - so the more people living there (like DC), the lower the rate gets to be......

Becs Nov 23rd 2005 12:37 pm

My best friend is moving to Detroit in a few months :( Needless to say, I'm worried out of my skin. Is it really as bad as people make out?

-Becs

robskatie Nov 23rd 2005 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
The list is worked out on a ration per capita - so the more people living there (like DC), the lower the rate gets to be......

Yeah, I was sure I had seen something on the news recently, I just know there is no way I go into DC after dark :eek: actually I don't go out alone around here after dark anywhere, sad :(

thing1 Nov 23rd 2005 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Becs
My best friend is moving to Detroit in a few months :( Needless to say, I'm worried out of my skin. Is it really as bad as people make out?

-Becs

what no one seems to have to mentioned is the fact that these ratings (and the census) are speaking strickly of the CITY population and not the 'burbs...aka metropolitan area. To most from Michigan, Troy IS Detroit so I find it amusing they both found their way to opposite lists. Just about anywhere has its "bad" part of town and it is easy enough to stay away from those areas.

Chances are there is no need for you to feel concerned about your friend's well being because they are moving to "Detroit". i would guess that he/she will be living safely in the 'burbs.

We're moving to St. Louis next month and I am not at all concerned about my safety just because it happens to be on a most dangerous list. Its about being smart, using common sense, doing research and steering clear of some areas. Grand Rapids, MI certainly had its more scarey parts of town where peope were regularly shot...and we would avoid those areas as best we could. Even here in dinky Columbia, MO there are areas I like to avoid.

ironporer Nov 23rd 2005 1:49 pm

-Becs

No, it's worse. Hopefully they can find a place in Auburn Hills, Farmington, Troy or similar suburb.

jamjar Nov 23rd 2005 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by thing1
what no one seems to have to mentioned is the fact that these ratings (and the census) are speaking strickly of the CITY population and not the 'burbs...aka metropolitan area. To most from Michigan, Troy IS Detroit so I find it amusing they both found their way to opposite lists. Just about anywhere has its "bad" part of town and it is easy enough to stay away from those areas.

I agree with you there. I lived in the Baltimore Metro area for 4 years and was never the victim of a crime. Baltimore has one of the highest murder rates in the nation but what statistics like this don't tell you is that they (the murders) are almost all drug related. So unless you're involved in a drug deal you're pretty safe. :)

Manc Nov 23rd 2005 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
No, it's worse. Hopefully they can find a place in Auburn Hills, Farmington, Troy or similar suburb.

or Marquette MI. that's a nice safe distance.

Eskimo Nov 23rd 2005 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Drebin
No Compton, CA?

Compton has really calmed down I think ... but as Snowbunny said its probably still near the top in homicides - its black on black crime rather indiscriminate - I got lost there once coming from LAX and paid a Domino pizza delivery guy $10 to lead me back to the freeway :o
LA certainly has worse parts, Pomona and Covina are not great two shot dead at a party on Saturday night and its only down the bloody road ! but if you're doing nothing wrong you wont get in trouble. Echo park is iffy as well - a friend was told that as a white male he would be "hunted for sport" if he bought a house there :D

"Living in Compton California CA Uzi up your ass if you dont get paid "

clydegirl Nov 23rd 2005 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by thing1

Chances are there is no need for you to feel concerned about your friend's well being because they are moving to "Detroit". i would guess that he/she will be living safely in the 'burbs.

We're moving to St. Louis next month and I am not at all concerned about my safety just because it happens to be on a most dangerous list. Its about being smart, using common sense, doing research and steering clear of some areas. Grand Rapids, MI certainly had its more scarey parts of town where peope were regularly shot...and we would avoid those areas as best we could. Even here in dinky Columbia, MO there are areas I like to avoid.

I was surprised that St.Louis was number 3 on the list.We are about 30 mins from there on the llinois side.We go in there quite often and I've always felt safe.

mandpete Nov 23rd 2005 8:54 pm

We got lost driving through Camden once and it was a real eye opener. Even though it wasn't sunny I put on my sunglasses and looked straight ahead so I wouldn't have eye contact with anyone, I was glad our back windows are blacked out so no one could see the kids staring open mouthed at what they were seeing. I told hubby that under no circumstances were we stopping to ask for directions or look at the map and we just drove round and round until we found our way out of what I assume was the ghetto area of Camden.

We have driven through it since but have never managed to find out where exactly we were when we got lost.

I am starting a new job in January and some of the time I will be working in Camden. :scared:

gruffbrown Nov 23rd 2005 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by mandpete

I am starting a new job in January and some of the time I will be working in Camden. :scared:

Just follow the County Sherrifs vans, you should be safe enough :rolleyes:

mandpete Nov 23rd 2005 9:30 pm

Just follow the County Sherrifs vans, you should be safe enough :rolleyes:

It seems such a friendly place, everyone seems to shake hands, not say a word to each other and then just carry on walking. ;)

biccy Nov 23rd 2005 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer

Well, when people say they are "from Detroit" they usually mean some nice cozy place like the above. I'm looking at you Eminem (Madison Heights), Jack White (Canton), Kid Rock (Dearborn), etc. So, when you're friend says they are moving "to Detroit" chances are they mean the same. And if you think Detroit (and I mean the city of) is bad now, you should have seen it 20 years ago.

Patrick Nov 24th 2005 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Most Dangerous Cities:
8. New Orleans

Katrina anyone! Anyone? no, there all in Houston

AdobePinon Nov 24th 2005 6:03 am

-Becs

While I have personally driven across sidewalks to get away from large groups of less-than-joyful people in Detroit, the question you should be asking is 'Does it suck as bad as people make out?'

psb182 Nov 24th 2005 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
Katrina anyone! Anyone? no, there all in Houston

Houston WE have a problem :)

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 24th 2005 12:54 pm

I was quite shocked to see West Palm Beach listed as the 14th most dangerous place....its about as dangerous as a limp lettuce leaf. Unless they are referring to the danger of getting whacked by some old persons walking stick.

Patrick Nov 24th 2005 1:35 pm

What exactly is the criteria for the most dangerous city in the USA?

Surely New Orleans, Miami and Gulfport are all dangerous places to live this year because of Hurricanes.

And what about that town in the Midwest that got flattened by the Tornado?

Anywhere in CA that is close to the Forest Fires - must be dangerous.

Anywhere where a lot of mexican food is eaten, gotta be a dangerous place to live, especially for smokers!

Anywhere in Florida where there are cars the size of a small English town being driven by people older than dirt and not big enough to look over the steering wheel, has to be dangerous on the roads.

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 24th 2005 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
What exactly is the criteria for the most dangerous city in the USA?

Surely New Orleans, Miami and Gulfport are all dangerous places to live this year because of Hurricanes.

And what about that town in the Midwest that got flattened by the Tornado?

Anywhere in CA that is close to the Forest Fires - must be dangerous.

Anywhere where a lot of mexican food is eaten, gotta be a dangerous place to live, especially for smokers!

Anywhere in Florida where there are cars the size of a small English town being driven by people older than dirt and not big enough to look over the steering wheel, has to be dangerous on the roads.

Funnily enough we are moving next week away from an area like that (We currently live in south palm beach county - the bit that was squished by Wilma) and our car insurance renewal quote has gone DOWN $1200 per year!

I also ran for house insurance and can only find one company willing to give a quote for anywhere in Florida and none for down here at all.