Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage for Landlord living abroad

Mortgage for Landlord living abroad

Old Dec 13th 2016, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

TXLonghorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mortgage for Landlord living abroad

If you sell it within 3 years from the date you stopped using it as your primary residence, the gain should be excluded under IRC 121.

I hope that you are reporting the rental property on the US return, especially since it seems that it is generating a loss (which could be used to offset other income, assuming you're not above the AGI threshold).

As others have said, the foreign tax credits should offset some or all of the US CGT when you sell it.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Most States , maybe all , do not have a tax treaty with the UK
The tax treaty is federal, therefore no states have a tax treaty with the UK. Each state, however, has its own tax laws for those issues which are not federal in nature.

Ian
Old Dec 13th 2016, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kat88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by H Bomb
That's not too bad then.

We kept our house in the UK in case we went back, however going back is now looking unlikely (at least for the foreseeable future). So we are just leaving it sitting there with tenants paying our mortgage.

We remortgaged to a better rate last year - but that only involved clicking a few buttons online with our current bank. They do know we no longer live in the house and that we do not even live in the country - but it seems departments do not speak to each other and as you say as long as you make the payments each month they do not really care.
Who did you remortgage with (and how did you remortgage without officially telling them you live abroad)?

I'm struggling - my fixed term has ended. I know there is a Skipton International that deal with expat mortgages, but they only provide loans of a minimum £100,000.

Last edited by Kat88; Dec 13th 2016 at 11:05 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kat88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know about you, but it is scaring me that you are asking these questions now, about things that you should have thought about before.

For starters, the method of financing the purchase has no bearing on the tax calculation for the property. Under US CGT there is also a possible taxable "gain" on the loan.

Under US tax law you are required to depreciate the property each year - by 2.5% of the value of the building (but not the land - a starting point to estimate this given that the land is not typically valued separately in the UK, is that the building is worth 80% of the purchase price, but less if the land has redevelopment potential) each year over the first 40 years of ownership. The effect of depreciation is to reduce the purchase price in the CGT calculation, so if you bought the property for £125,000 and owned it for ten years you would have depreciated £25,000 off the value (2.5% x 10 x 80% x £125,000), so if you sold for £125,000 after 10 years you would pay CGT on £25,000 (i.e. the amount depreciated) less any CGT paid to HMC&R which calculates CGT in a VERY different way.

Then the matter of US CGT on the loan. Suppose you borrowed £100,000 when the exhange rate was $2:£1 and over ten years paid off £20,000. When you sold after 10 years the exchange rate is $1.25:£1. The £80,000 left on the loan was originally worth $160,000, but at $1.25:£1 will only cost $100,000, to pay off, so from the perspective of the IRS you have profited by $60,000!

I strongly recommend that you find yourself an experienced tax accountant PDQ, and one who understands the tax issues of international real estate investments.
We don't all have the luxury of internatonal property knowledge. I bought the house to live in originally, and then moved to the US for marriage. I wanted to keep my house 1. in case I needed somewhere to return to, and 2. because I didn't want all that money in cash.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TXLonghorn
If you sell it within 3 years from the date you stopped using it as your primary residence, the gain should be excluded under IRC 121.

I hope that you are reporting the rental property on the US return, especially since it seems that it is generating a loss (which could be used to offset other income, assuming you're not above the AGI threshold).

As others have said, the foreign tax credits should offset some or all of the US CGT when you sell it.

But...seeing the collapse in Sterling may still leave a sizeable foreign currency mortgage gain.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

torriano is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the USA, own a property in London that I rent out, and had a similar situation. I am almost finished refinancing from an offset traditional mortage to an expat buy-to-let landlord mortgage. I did it through Capital Fortune and the mortgage is with National Counties. Worth exploring that?