Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage for L1 Visa holder

Mortgage for L1 Visa holder

Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage for L1 Visa holder

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
Well Tim Cook has a pretty modest 2BR in PA. I know that the Apple Store workers in PA (5 minutes walk from his house) live in terror of his weekly walk in to see how things are going
I have seen his house, and yes, you're right. It's incredibly modest. You wouldn't even know it was of any importance until you see the security signs outside the (small) gates.

I'd think having the CEO of the company - who by all accounts is a reasonable and very decent person - come see you every week is a great way to get ahead in the company potentially!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Because the original statement made was that we should look past the British mindset that renting is dead money.

I've offered my opinion on that, as I believe if you're staying anywhere for >= 5 years, renting is literally throwing money away.
"Renting money" aka a mortgage can also be literally throwing money away. The calculation is more complex than you're portraying as many people have discovered to their cost in the last decade, i.e. cost of sale, maintenance , insurance (all typically higher than the UK) and the fact that in many localities house prices can depreciate as well as appreciate.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 20th 2017 at 3:25 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 3:25 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"Renting money" aka a mortgage can also be literally throwing money away. The calculation is more complex than you're portraying as many people have discovered to their cost in the last decade, i.e. cost of sale, maintenance, insurance and the fact that in many localities house prices can depreciate as well as appreciate.
I get that, but even if we were under in the first five years versus renting, that's something I would be totally fine with as we'd have (and do) a hugely better quality of life having our own home and mid to longer term it's absolutely the right thing financially to do.

I do know someone who bought a crappy apartment in a property boom, and how he's under water. He's awful with money mind.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I get that, but even if we were under in the first five years versus renting, that's something I would be totally fine with as we'd have (and do) a hugely better quality of life having our own home and mid to longer term it's absolutely the right thing financially to do.
The point I'm making is that I don't believe that there is a hard and fast cut off where buying makes sense. Lack of price appreciation/maintenance/property taxes can be a continual drain in some areas regardless of length of ownership. Having said that, I do acknowledge that there are plenty of non-financial factors in favour of owning (there certainly are for me) and in areas of strong appreciation, the financial equation can tip in favour of ownership quite quickly.