Mortgage

Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

viks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mortgage

Originally Posted by Longy
OK so if the company are willing to give him an L-1 then he should try and negotiate with them before the move to start the green card process as soon as possible.

Otherwise he is tied to that company and if they decide they don't want him or don't want to renew his L-1 after 3 years or get a green card you would be completely stuffed.
Hi, thanks for the update

Can i just ask could he leave after say 1 year at company on the L1, or is he tied into the same company for ever?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by viks
Hi sorry for any confusion,
Partner (soon to be hubby) works at company, has been for 3 years, will get L1 transfer, we have always loved Florida, company has offices all over the world, with an office in Tampa. We want to live in the USA so would need to get green cards. Hope that clears it up.

I am still a bit confused.... what does the "until partner finds a job" comment in post # 3 mean then?

Last edited by farmerwife; Mar 17th 2008 at 2:57 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Can i just ask could he leave after say 1 year at company on the L1, or is he tied into the same company for ever?
To my knowledge, he is tied to that company until he gets a green card.

I suppose he could get another job where they were willing to sponsor him on an H-1b, but this would make your situation much worse as you would not be able to work because this would make you a H-4 and you do not want that.

I just want you to be aware that until you get a green card I would not consider this permanent.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
I am still a bit confused.... what does the "until partner finds a job" comment in post # 3 mean then?
Presumably he work for the company ..but not in a position that will lead to an overseas posting ..
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa is tied to that company ..leave job ..leave the US ..
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Longy,

We both work for an International financial services co, JP Morgan, so no chance of being bankrupt etc.
The irony of posting that today is pretty funny!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your visa is tied to that company ..leave job ..leave the US ..
Unless he can get another company to sponsor them for an H1. I know several people who've done that, but it's relatively unusual.

As to the original question, why the rush to buy property here? Firstly, you're on an L1 with all its attendant risks that have bene pointed out. Secondly, imo, it's preferable to rent a while until you really know an area well and are sure you want to buy. Thirdly, real estate in many parts of Florida is imploding, and things are gonig to get worse before they get better imo.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The irony of posting that today is pretty funny!
Yep! Now JP Morgan has all those Bear Sterns people to amalgamate and the buy out to pay for they won't need to be importing people from the UK - or have too much extra money for immigration lawyers!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yep! Now JP Morgan has all those Bear Sterns people to amalgamate and the buy out to pay for they won't need to be importing people from the UK - or have too much extra money for immigration lawyers!
Hi all
Can I confirm, if the company we did the L1 with applied for our GC, would my partner still be tied to them or could he leave for another job?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:11 pm
Ray

Hi all
Can I confirm, if the company we did the L1 with applied for our GC, would my partner still be tied to them or could he leave for another job?
Once you have your green card ..you are free to do what you wish ...
thats why companies are not so easy to apply for you ...
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

GeraldineGray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Once you have your green card ..you are free to do what you wish ...
thats why companies are not so easy to apply for you ...
Sweetie

I think you would be well advised to have a short converstion with an immigration lawyer. And I don't mean the one who works for JP Morgan. This is your future at stake - they will usually have the first chat for free.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeraldineGray
Sweetie

I think you would be well advised to have a short converstion with an immigration lawyer. And I don't mean the one who works for JP Morgan. This is your future at stake - they will usually have the first chat for free.
Thanks
Can anyone suggest any good immigration lawyers?
Thanks again for all the help.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Can anyone suggest any good immigration lawyers?
Thanks again for all the help.
You'd be looking for one that is a member of AILA
http://www.aila.org/.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius
You'd be looking for one that is a member of AILA
http://www.aila.org/.
Hi
Just a quick question, if I was to fall pregnant whilst on an L2 would the baby be a USA or UK citizen?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well, they got BSC for a song and JPM ain't no BSC... but what made me chuckle was the idea that a job with an "international financial services co" made one immune to "bankruptcy etc". It's not quite working out like that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.