British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mortgage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mortgage-522402/)

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:15 pm

Mortgage

Hello

My partner and I am planning to come over to Florida on an L1/L2 Visa

We would like to know;
1. If it is possible to get a mortgage, if you have an L1/L2 Visa
2. Do we need to keep a property in the UK as security?
3. Can anyone suggest a good mortgage adviser?

Longy Mar 17th 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Mortgage

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074155)
Hello

My partner and I am planning to come over to Florida on an L1/L2 Visa

We would like to know;
1. If it is possible to get a mortgage, if you have an L1/L2 Visa
2. Do we need to keep a property in the UK as security?
3. Can anyone suggest a good mortgage adviser?

I assume by partner you mean spouse, otherwise you are probably going to have problems.

1. Yes it is, although you will have no credit, so it will be useful to have a decent deposit to put down.

1a. Get a Amex card right now - it will help with credit in the US.

2. You don't have to, but if this is only a temporary move - which an L1 is unless you have a promise of a green card - it's probably a good idea. Even if you are likely to get a green card I would still hang onto the property for a few years in case you decide you want to go back. Then if you decide you are settled here and want to sell then you can.

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Longy (Post 6074167)
I assume by partner you mean spouse, otherwise you are probably going to have problems.

1. Yes it is, although you will have no credit, so it will be useful to have a decent deposit to put down.

1a. Get a Amex card right now - it will help with credit in the US.

2. You don't have to, but if this is only a temporary move - which an L1 is unless you have a promise of a green card - it's probably a good idea. Even if you are likely to get a green card I would still hang onto the property for a few years in case you decide you want to go back. Then if you decide you are settled here and want to sell then you can.

Hi,

My partner, soon to be hubby, will be on the L1. We plan to move over to florida for good. So we will be going for residency, not sure how to go about that at the moment.

We are in the process of selling our house in the UK, and we will live with inlaws until partner finds a job and gets transfer.

Longy Mar 17th 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074176)
Hi,

My partner, soon to be hubby, will be on the L1. We plan to move over to florida for good. So we will be going for residency, not sure how to go about that at the moment.

We are in the process of selling our house in the UK, and we will live with inlaws until partner finds a job and gets transfer.

Unless the company has promised to get green cards, I would not plan to make it permanent - and even then it can take quite a while.

Also have you spent anytime in the states before? A lot of people get here and then realise they don't like it.

I would be very careful about selling the house straight away, you may decide or have no choice to go back in a couple of years and could end up costing yourself a fortune and losing your position on the housing ladder.

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Longy (Post 6074198)
Unless the company has promised to get green cards, I would not plan to make it permanent - and even then it can take quite a while.

Also have you spent anytime in the states before? A lot of people get here and then realise they don't like it.

I would be very careful about selling the house straight away, you may decide or have no choice to go back in a couple of years and could end up costing yourself a fortune and losing your position on the housing ladder.

Hello,

We have not spoken to the company about green cards. This is something we would need to look into, being a bit green here.... Can we not come over on L1/L2 and then apply for perm status on our own???

Ray Mar 17th 2008 2:35 pm

Hi,

Is it L-1A or B

Note the company make the application for the visa ..not you
and ditto for the greecard

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6074221)
Is it L-1A or B

Note the company make the application for the visa ..not you
and ditto for the greecard

Hi,

It will be a managerial position for the transfer.

farmerwife Mar 17th 2008 2:37 pm

Hi,

.............until partner finds a job and gets transfer.

Doesn't partner ( soon to be hubby) already have a job? That would be the job that the company is doing the L1 for?

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by farmerwife (Post 6074227)
Doesn't partner ( soon to be hubby) already have a job? That would be the job that the company is doing the L1 for?

Hi farmerwife.
My partner doesnt have job yet, we are still looking. Am i being silly....if we get an L1/L2 can we not then apply for green card off our own backs?

Longy Mar 17th 2008 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074214)
Hello,

We have not spoken to the company about green cards. This is something we would need to look into, being a bit green here.... Can we not come over on L1/L2 and then apply for perm status on our own???

Not to my knowledge, I believe the company has to do this for you. I think the general way it works with an L1 is that you get a 3 year visa, then they extend it for a couple more years and then apply for green cards.

I believe this can be done quicker, but would probably want to agree this with the company in advance - especially if you are saying you want to move permanantly.

You just have to be careful, the L1 means you are tied to that company, and if they layed your partner off you would have to leave. If you buy a house and then lose your job you can't hang around to sell it.

I came over on an L1b, and 6 months after getting here my company were sold and it was a bit dodgy for a while. As it happens its now two years later and I am still with the same company.

Longy Mar 17th 2008 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074237)
Hi farmerwife.
My partner doesnt have job yet, we are still looking. Am i being silly....if we get an L1/L2 can we not then apply for green card off our own backs?

OK, hang on, now you are confusing me. An L-1 means you are working for a company in the UK which has an office in the US and are willing to transfer you over. This would normally mean having worked there for a year (although could be as little as 6 months).

The company sponsors you to get the L-1 - you can't do it yourself.

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Longy (Post 6074240)
Not to my knowledge, I believe the company has to do this for you. I think the general way it works with an L1 is that you get a 3 year visa, then they extend it for a couple more years and then apply for green cards.

I believe this can be done quicker, but would probably want to agree this with the company in advance - especially if you are saying you want to move permanantly.

You just have to be careful, the L1 means you are tied to that company, and if they layed your partner off you would have to leave. If you buy a house and then lose your job you can't hang around to sell it.

I came over on an L1b, and 6 months after getting here my company were sold and it was a bit dodgy for a while. As it happens its now two years later and I am still with the same company.

Hi Longy,

We both work for an International financial services co, JP Morgan, so no chance of being bankrupt etc.

Longy Mar 17th 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074248)
Hi Longy,

We both work for an International financial services co, JP Morgan, so no chance of being bankrupt etc.

Ok, and they are offering your partner a job in the US? You can't move over and look for a job, you need them to offer you a job and sponsor you.

viks Mar 17th 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074248)
Hi Longy,

Hi sorry for any confusion,
Partner (soon to be hubby) works at company, has been for 3 years, will get L1 transfer, we have always loved Florida, company has offices all over the world, with an office in Tampa. We want to live in the USA so would need to get green cards. Hope that clears it up.

Longy Mar 17th 2008 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by viks (Post 6074271)
Hi sorry for any confusion,
Partner (soon to be hubby) works at company, has been for 3 years, will get L1 transfer, we have always loved Florida, company has offices all over the world, with an office in Tampa. We want to live in the USA so would need to get green cards. Hope that clears it up.

OK so if the company are willing to give him an L-1 then he should try and negotiate with them before the move to start the green card process as soon as possible.

Otherwise he is tied to that company and if they decide they don't want him or don't want to renew his L-1 after 3 years or get a green card you would be completely stuffed.