Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A morning in Court, US style.

A morning in Court, US style.

Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A morning in Court, US style.

Firstly I was just there for moral support.

Local town court, population short of 2,000.

Seemed to be held in a meeting room in the somewat old and tiny town offices.

Quite surprised as to how many people were there, must be 50 plus, and this was the first of 2 sessions for the month.

So groups of people 5 or so strong were called into another room, turns out they go to to see the Prosecutor and arrange a plea deal. All but 2 opted for this, they had trial dates set.

ThevJudge I can only describe as an American Rumpole both in demeanour and appearance (gown and wig excepted)

Anyway apart from two Dog on the loose charges, $75 each, all the rest were speeding. Maybe the more interesting ones were reserved for the second session.

So each one gets called up, given the brief outline of the charge and the plea bargain (usually half whatever points were awarded) and told to pay the lady. If you wanted time to pay you usually got 6 weeks with a commentary on what would happen if you did not pay on time.

It was quite a jolly atmosphere, there seemed to be quite a few regulars who knew each other and the Judge threw in a few comments about the relative fines and speeds. No moralising interestingly.

One of the top winners was a 16 year old girl there with her Mum for doing 54 in a 35 Construction zone. She had her $300 odd fine reduced by $200 because of her age, but was also given an essay to write, 500 words, and a $40 course of defensive driving lessons to take.

I suppose it was inevitable that the Town was quite willing to trade off points, but not so easily fines, which benefit their own coffers.

Anyway, if you have the time, an entertaining morning out.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A morning in Court, US style.

Originally Posted by Boiler

Anyway, if you have the time, an entertaining morning out.
We had a taste of this quite early on, about a month after we moved.

One of my boys was ordered to appear in court because he had cycled without a helmet (not knowing this was against the law here...)

So he turns up in his ManU shirt and explains that he's fresh off the boat from England - and they let him off. I think the accent may have helped...

Another defendant that day was not so lucky - a 17-year-old girl was find over $500 for driving in the wrong direction in a CARPARK!!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:24 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
We had a taste of this quite early on, about a month after we moved.

One of my boys was ordered to appear in court because he had cycled without a helmet (not knowing this was against the law here...)

So he turns up in his ManU shirt and explains that he's fresh off the boat from England - and they let him off. I think the accent may have helped...

Another defendant that day was not so lucky - a 17-year-old girl was find over $500 for driving in the wrong direction in a CARPARK!!

Aren't car parks private property?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Aren't car parks private property?
RTA applies to Car Parks in the UK, no idea here, probably varies state by state.

I would have expected a capital sentance turning up in a Man U shirt.

Funny thing about helmets in CO, the cyclists wear them but the bikers do not.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Elvira]We had a taste of this quite early on, about a month after we moved.

One of my boys was ordered to appear in court because he had cycled without a helmet

QUOTE]

brilliant that init......10 miles from my house you can legally drive a motorbike 65mph on the highway without a helmet :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I had my first (and so far, only) court appearance about a year ago. I was "caught" by a CHP biker who was travelling in the opposite direction to me. This was on a residential street with a 35MPH speed limit. He did a u-turn and came after me.

At first I didn't realise he was coming for me, so when I saw him in the rearview I just pulled over to the right to let him pass - of course, he followed me, so then it dawned it was me he was after. So when he finally came over he asked the "do you know why I pulled you over" question, and I honestly had no idea why he had.

Transpires he believed I was not wearing a seatbelt, and proceeded to give me a ticket - $25. He saw me take off my seatbelt after he pulled me over, so I could get to the glove compartment and get my insurance and registration. He put that down to the fact I had put it on between him first seeing me and doing the u-turn to catch me Since I was the only person in the vehicle, it was his word against mine and I'm always going to lose in that situation.

So, because the charge was complete hogwash, I decided to have my day in court to protest my innocence. The cop never showed up in court so by default the ticket was dismissed. But I did notice with the folks that got processed before me, there was definitely some familiarity between them and the judge. And for every case where the cop showed up in court, the judge went with the cop's decision, but reduced the penalties for some of them.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:42 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Ooops, I need to start saving
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

So far:

I got pulled over for failing to signal (indicate) when I pulled into my driveway. (I live on a very quiet residential street). I was asked if I had been drinking, I said that I had 2 beers an hour before (we had been out for dinner). I was then given some stupid tests to do.
1:
Walk the white line in pidgeon steps, 9 paces then turn around and walk back.....No problem.

2:
Officer "Press my thumb against index finger of same hand then count up each finger and back down to index finger twice 2, 3 ,4 ,5 5, 4, 3 ,2, 2,3,4,5, 5,4,3,2".
Me "Do what? Puzzled look
Officer "Like this" he then proceeded to show me but f**ked it up
Me: "You really expect me to do that after you just messed it up and you're sober"
He then made me follow a pen he was holding with my eyes.
Officer "I'm arresting you Sir for DWI youthe right to remain blah blah blah"

Was taken to the police station, and breathalised on the machine. I blew 0.2. Well under the 0.8 NY limit.
They then charged me with failing to signal into my driveway. Went to court and was fined $30 with a $50 surcharge (WTF??) and given 2 points on my licence.

Absolute load of bollocks!!! Mickey Mouse cops, Mickey Mouse charge, Mickey Mouse court, Mickey Mouse Judge!!!!!!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman

Absolute load of bollocks!!! Mickey Mouse cops, Mickey Mouse charge, Mickey Mouse court, Mickey Mouse Judge!!!!!!!

was it in Orlando?
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by psb182
was it in Orlando?
Ha f**king ha!!!

(OK I did ask for that)
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:14 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails A morning in Court, US style.-mickey.jpg  
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:20 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

So far:

I got pulled over for failing to signal (indicate) when I pulled into my driveway. (I live on a very quiet residential street). I was asked if I had been drinking, I said that I had 2 beers an hour before (we had been out for dinner). I was then given some stupid tests to do.
1:
Walk the white line in pidgeon steps, 9 paces then turn around and walk back.....No problem.

2:
Officer "Press my thumb against index finger of same hand then count up each finger and back down to index finger twice 2, 3 ,4 ,5 5, 4, 3 ,2, 2,3,4,5, 5,4,3,2".
Me "Do what? Puzzled look
Officer "Like this" he then proceeded to show me but f**ked it up
Me: "You really expect me to do that after you just messed it up and you're sober"
He then made me follow a pen he was holding with my eyes.
Officer "I'm arresting you Sir for DWI youthe right to remain blah blah blah"

Was taken to the police station, and breathalised on the machine. I blew 0.2. Well under the 0.8 NY limit.
They then charged me with failing to signal into my driveway. Went to court and was fined $30 with a $50 surcharge (WTF??) and given 2 points on my licence.

No need to get ratty about it, it's a good thing you were not rat arsed though
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lionheart
No need to get ratty about it, it's a good thing you were not rat arsed though
Dont know why they just dont give you a hand held breath test at the scene instead of all that fannying about.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:31 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know why they just dont give you a hand held breath test at the scene instead of all that fannying about.
Coz they are *****, I was stopped a few years ago pissed one block from my house. I did give the cop some lip as I was pissed and on foot, he took me in, drove past my house and put me in the 'drunk tank' overnight I guess to teach me a lesson? But he used taxpayer money to drive his car 2 miles or so to Santa Monica police station, have the desk sargent book me in and released without charge the next day, just to **** with me. Then they wonder why you grow to hate the uniformed clowns.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lionheart
Coz they are *****, I was stopped a few years ago pissed one block from my house. I did give the cop some lip as I was pissed and on foot, he took me in, drove past my house and put me in the 'drunk tank' overnight I guess to teach me a lesson? But he used taxpayer money to drive his car 2 miles or so to Santa Monica police station, have the desk sargent book me in and released without charge the next day, just to **** with me. Then they wonder why you grow to hate the uniformed clowns.
I've been pulled over so many times for speeding so many times I've lost count. Everytime I've flashed the pink UK licence and given it the old "Here on holiday, sisters car, Yes Sir Yes Sir 3 bags full Sir" routine and been told to take it easy and have a nice day.

I've always been courteous and polite when I've been stopped, and I have been stopped a few times with a bit more in the blood than I should've had and been told to clear off home, but that night that I got collared for not signalling onto my driveway at 10.30 at night and a deserted road really pissed me off. So I did tell the cop I thought he was being ridiculous, especially as it was Senior prom night and there would be loads of pissed up kids he could intimidate and play robocop with because he didn't intimidate or impress me. In hindsight I think that might have been my problem and the reason I got shafted for 2 points.

I wish The Adirondacks had British cops, it'd be like the f**king Nurburgring!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.