Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Morgan Spurlock - Life on Minimum Wage in USA

Morgan Spurlock - Life on Minimum Wage in USA

Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:50 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morgan Spurlock - Life on Minimum Wage in USA

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Thank you

I'm sure there are plenty of minimum wage earners who would love to be handed a nice hefty cheque for portraying their everyday life on the TV.

I am not missing the point at all. I just think it is very demeaning to millions of people who live this way to see someone pretending (and yes all he is doing is pretending) to live this way and earning a big fat payday at the end of it.

If he is so concerned about people on the poverty line then there are other ways to get the point across.
so for you to like this kind of TV there should be no paid presenters, no one getting paid to give a commentary, no paid cameramen and the camera should just be left in a room of poor people so we can all have a look? Great idea.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah
so for you to like this kind of TV there should be no paid presenters, no one getting paid to give a commentary, no paid cameramen and the camera should just be left in a room of poor people so we can all have a look? Great idea.
Sound like PBS.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats not actually what I said. I just think, and this is just my opinion, that portraying the needs of the poverty line in any country would be more beleivable and less demeaning if it was shown how an actual family survived.

Maybe I am just a cynical old lady and can only see the unnecessary hype that goes along with this type of programming. People remember the man more than the problem.

People who are poverty stricken, that are struggling and see no end to their dilema are often also very proud. How do you think you might feel watching someone "play acting" at what you have to suffer day in day out knowing that at the end of the month they are going back to their real world and their "paltry" million dollar pay checks?

As I said I may just be older and more cynical than you. There is probably no wrong or right here, but this is just the way I feel.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this not a self defeating argument?

Ok, lets say FOX want to commission a TV series on poor people. So the logic can only be that they provide their services for free, otherwise they will no longer be living on the minimum wage. Also if they have sufficient nous to line themselves up a TV contract you wonder how atypical they would be.

I only got to watch the whole programme last night, they actually were not doing that badly, except for the Medical bills. They missed mentioning a few benefits a Family would receive, Food Stamps, maybe Housing support, varies I believe by State.

It struck me as more of an indictment of the US Medical system than anything else.

And no, I do now want to try it.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doc d
there's a website for that book as well. i've been thinking of reading it. is it worth a punt then?
ie will i spend my time on a plane well if i purchase and read it?
Haven't read it yet, i've been trying to get someone to get it for me
Though someone said that it was really worth a read at the library..
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:24 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Thats not actually what I said. I just think, and this is just my opinion, that portraying the needs of the poverty line in any country would be more beleivable and less demeaning if it was shown how an actual family survived.

Maybe I am just a cynical old lady and can only see the unnecessary hype that goes along with this type of programming. People remember the man more than the problem.

People who are poverty stricken, that are struggling and see no end to their dilema are often also very proud. How do you think you might feel watching someone "play acting" at what you have to suffer day in day out knowing that at the end of the month they are going back to their real world and their "paltry" million dollar pay checks?

As I said I may just be older and more cynical than you. There is probably no wrong or right here, but this is just the way I feel.

The thing is, no-one else is really concentrating on the fact that its Morgan Spurlock. In this thread, everyone was talking about the topics and the issues he was raising, not him. If he was mentioned it was to commend him for at least making an effort to highlight these issues, which I think isn't really that common on US television. I just thought you were being unecessarily negative. As for his paycheck, its not like the guy is some Paris Hilton type, playing at being normal, he's stepping out of his regular joe shoes and into someone elses. He is a white, somewhat educated guy who did well from an idea for an documentary and from that, instead of using that spotlight he can now command to push himself into a big movie, a chat show or pop career he is actually making some worthwhile and intelligent TV. Somethign I think should be encouraged before the whole of American TV is swallowed up with "become a cooking/acting/stripping/dieting/singing/dancing/kept man/survivor superstar in only two weeks when we put you into this house and humiliate you!" - style television. I think Morgan Spurlocks series is a much needed anti-dote to all that garbage we are being constatly fed.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think Morgan Spurlocks series is a much needed anti-dote to all that garbage we are being constatly fed.
Too true!!!