Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More overseas pensioners must prove they are alive

Wikiposts

More overseas pensioners must prove they are alive

Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:03 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default More overseas pensioners must prove they are alive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25243993

The new push on life certificates will only apply to countries such as France which do not automatically share the information with the UK.

So does the US tell the UK if you die?
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More overseas pensioners must prove they are alive

Originally Posted by lansbury
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25243993

The new push on life certificates will only apply to countries such as France which do not automatically share the information with the UK.

So does the US tell the UK if you die?
I think they probably do. Anyway, the Social Security Death Index is publicly available; I think pretty up to date too. When my wife applied for her British State Pension, there was a section in the application where she had to fill out her US Social Security number ...

I imagine annuity companies, pension funds etc., in the United States get this information automatically, to try to avoid continuing to pay out after folks die? I could be wrong though ...
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More overseas pensioners must prove they are alive

France requires an Attestation d'existence for both their State Pension (CNAV) and company pensions........every year.

If the UK follows the French example there are two things that are required. First, it must be done by the local council (shire hall) or the local police. In the US that would probably be the local court house. Second, the French love their stamps, so the attestation gets the official council impressed seal. Let's hope the UK isn't this demanding.

US Social Security requires that it is notified immediately if a USC dies while in receipt. That always requires the current months' payment to be returned. I assume the UK State Pension has a similar demand, although it appears notification is currently very slow in arriving.

Last edited by theOAP; Dec 5th 2013 at 6:41 am.