Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More advice ??

More advice ??

Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

riley1012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More advice ??

Hi guys I wanted to post this in a new thread as it sort of relates to my old thread but thought I would make the move to two threads under my name (getting the hang of this now lol) so my question is......

What would be the cheapest way for me to get to Greenville next June ?? I don't mind hiring a car and driving some of the way if it works out cheaper. I have looked at loads of flights and I am in need of some advice.

Thank you

Aaron
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More advice ??

Apparently there are 33 places in the US called Greenville ..
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

To get to one of the Greenvilles from where?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're in the UK, and wanting to get to Greenville, SC, the easiest way would be LHR to CLT (Charlotte, NC) and drive from there, the drive being an hour or so. You could also make numerous different two leg flights to Charlotte, NC, with changes at JFK, Newark, or Washington Dulles (IAD) being the most likely, but via Philadelphia, Detroit, Boston, Chicago, or Atlanta being not unreasonable. Sometimes you can get good deals on longer flights that require flying much further then coming back e.g. Miami, Houston, or Dallas, but for each of those you'd be spending an extra 3-4 hours in the air, or an extra 5-6 hours total journey time allowing for the time between connecting flights.

If you got a direct flight to IAD or Atlanta, and drove to Greenville, SC from there, the drive would be about 6½ or 3 hours respectively (if you're lucky :rolleyes).

Also I think you can get connecting flights directly to Greenville SC, but the planes that fly there will be small, and not necessarily frequent, so you may have to wait a while at the connecting airport. Charlotte, NC is too close to make flying to Greenville, SC worthwhile, and personally I'm not sure if I even fly from Atlanta to Greenville.

If you do decide to book a connecting flight to Greenville, SC, be extra careful to make sure that you get the Greenville in SC, because there is also a Greenville in NC, with an airport and there is a Greensboro, NC with an airport. If you fly to either of these NC "decoy" airports, you're facing a 5½hr or 3hr drive respectively to Greenville, SC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 9th 2013 at 1:33 am.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

What state ?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
What state ?
Go read his other thread!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:22 am
Just Joined

riley1012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry guys it is travelling from anywhere in the UK to Greenville South Carolina.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

The airport code for Greenville is GSP (Greenville-Spartanburg Int'l Airport). There are plenty of flights into GSP from hubs such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Cincinnati etc. I sure wouldn't want to drive from Atlanta after a transatlantic flight; Charlotte is closer.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:14 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

GSP is nice little airport with quite a few connecting flight to Atlanta and some major hubs on the East Coast, such as Washington Dulles, Charlotte and Newark. You can look at flying through said Dulles (IAD) and then connecting to a flight to GSP.

If you are thinking of driving the last few hours, depends a bit on your condition upon arrival. If you are coming in on an afternoon flight from the UK, you'll be landing early in the morning (UK time) in the US, only to then have to hop in a car and drive a bit. Not much fun. But if you do an early morning flight in (if they have any) you'd be arriving toward the evening UK time and might have enough energy to handle a drive.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riley1012
Sorry guys it is travelling from anywhere in the UK to Greenville South Carolina.
Southwest Airlines (not listed when you search for flights) may have cheaper flights than the other carriers to GSP from such airports as IAD. Use the following link to check prices. They usually have get away prices and sometimes internet only prices if booked 1-3 months in advance.

http://www.southwest.com/

Last edited by Michael; Sep 9th 2013 at 3:45 am.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Afra is an unknown quantity at this point

There are many places called Greenville, in which you are interested in?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Afra
Read post #7.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Afra
Two posts into your history with BE, and the quality so far is astounding!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

We live about halfway between Atlanta and Greenville and I fly out of GSP whenever I get the chance. It's a great little airport and often it can be cheaper to fly from there than Charlotte or ATL, even though the stopover may be at one of those hubs!

My last trip was through Washington, Dulles and I missed my connection due to weather and had to spend the night there, so make sure you have at least 2.5-3 hours to get through immigration and customs.

I also grew up in Essex (Woodford and then Clacton), so feel free to PM me for info - and to arrange to get together when you're here and settled!