Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Monthly outgoings

Monthly outgoings

Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

SANDRASZ1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Monthly outgoings

Hi All, Can someone please tell me what are a general monthly outgoings in NY ie gas, water, electric, internet, cable etc.
I know it will depend on the size of the flat. We will have 2 bedrooms place in around Park Slope, if this helps. I would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly outgoings

Sandra, have you tried Citydata, not sure about your outgoings in NY because I live in Connecticut - sorry :-(
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

purceem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, prices are a little different than the UK as I have been discovering in NY! Heat, hot water and gas are usually included in your rent, so you just pay for electric as the base utility. In the summer months this will be approx $100 a month due to air conditioning, but in the winter will drop down to $60ish. I have a package of tv, internet and phone which costs about $130 a month and 2 mobile phone contracts costs about $150 a month aswell. Remember, even if it say $89 a month for triple play, they add about $20 in taxes and you are charges to "lease" the receivers and remotes!
I've been in Brooklyn now since July 2010, so if you need any more information let me know!
Emma
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

SANDRASZ1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purceem
Hi, prices are a little different than the UK as I have been discovering in NY! Heat, hot water and gas are usually included in your rent, so you just pay for electric as the base utility. In the summer months this will be approx $100 a month due to air conditioning, but in the winter will drop down to $60ish. I have a package of tv, internet and phone which costs about $130 a month and 2 mobile phone contracts costs about $150 a month aswell. Remember, even if it say $89 a month for triple play, they add about $20 in taxes and you are charges to "lease" the receivers and remotes!
I've been in Brooklyn now since July 2010, so if you need any more information let me know!
Emma
Emma, that's great. Thanks so much for all the info.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Used to live in Prospect Heights. Don't forget to include little basics in your budget such as food (grocery shopping can be pricey in Park Slope), travel (subway cards, taxi fares etc) and general day to day stuff (sometimes it seems with NYC that it costs $20 just to step out the door).

Check out:

http://brooklynian.com/forum/?forum-index=1

and:

http://www.****edinparkslope.com/ (interesting the **** stands for a naughty word beginning with F)

Last edited by sir_eccles; Mar 14th 2011 at 9:43 pm. Reason: Added links and then noticed the ****