Reload this Page >

Money Transfer to USA & Barclays Bank

Money Transfer to USA & Barclays Bank

Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:34 am
Just Joined

bueno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money Transfer to USA & Barclays Bank

Hi All

I am currently in NJ and would like to know how I would get access to my bank account in the U.K. I have a barclays bank debit card and was informed it should work in Bank of America without any commission.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfer to USA & Barclays Bank

Originally Posted by bueno
Does anyone have any ideas?
Yes... try it and find out!

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:46 am
Just Joined

bueno is an unknown quantity at this point

I did and it said ' they couldn't perform my transaction'
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bueno
I did and it said ' they couldn't perform my transaction'
Well then, you've got your answer with respect to BoA. Take a look on the back of your card... there are usually several logos on them. Find an ATM that also has one of those logos... your card should work at that ATM. I would fully expect that there will be a nominal fee for using the ATM. If there are no logos... then I'm afraid you're on your own!

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:51 am
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Have your bank put a lock on your account because it's being used abroad? My English bank did that several times and I had to ring them up and sort it out. I think mine has a Cirrus on the back of it. They're now (after five long years!) used to me and know it's not someone using it fraudulently!

Anyway, if you do have the correct symbols on the back of the card, it's worth a try
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
Have your bank put a lock on your account because it's being used abroad?
Oh... good catch! Before leaving on a trip, I always call my bank to let them know that there will be charges coming from across the pond. I wonder if this isn't exactly what's happened to the guy.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You can notify Barclays online that you will be using the card abroad, although if they have locked it you may need to call them.

Their website says:

If you use Online Banking, you can tell us when and where you plan to go by using the Use Debit Card Abroad form. You'll find the form in the menu of your At a Glance page.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at my Barclays Connect (ATM) card and it doesn't have any of the usual Cirrus, Plus, Interlink, etc., symbols but I'm sure I have used it for cash in the States before without any trouble.

Yes, good idea to call and notify them (and credit card companies) before using overseas. Not required AFAIK, but advisable.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough

Dont take any notice of Ian-mstn. By his own admission, he's a 'sanctimonious prick'! There's another character on here you shouldnt take any notice of as well who falls in the same catagory, and generally gives the impression that he's important, by virtue of the amount of posts he's knocked up. He's called 'Ray' and he does nothing but sit back and do one line sarcastic answers to genuine questions like yours. I believe he's british, but you wouldnt know that from his input.

Good luck with some sincere and genuine answers to your question and concerns from people who care.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:12 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peteusa
Dont take any notice of Ian-mstn. By his own admission, he's a 'sanctimonious prick'! There's another character on here you shouldnt take any notice of as well who falls in the same catagory, and generally gives the impression that he's important, by virtue of the amount of posts he's knocked up. He's called 'Ray' and he does nothing but sit back and do one line sarcastic answers to genuine questions like yours. I believe he's british, but you wouldnt know that from his input.

Good luck with some sincere and genuine answers to your question and concerns from people who care.
Like you, for example? Other than whingeing, is your answer "sincere and genuine"?

EDIT: Did you actually read Ian's replies? He told the OP exactly what he needed to know.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Like you, for example? Other than whingeing, is your answer "sincere and genuine"?

EDIT: Did you actually read Ian's replies? He told the OP exactly what he needed to know.
Oh! the same attitude, but then, you do admit to being an arrogant **** Whatever that might mean.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peteusa
Dont take any notice of Ian-mstn. By his own admission, he's a 'sanctimonious prick'!
Do I know you? Have we crossed paths before?

Ian