Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone in UK & Ireland - call cost?

Mobile phone in UK & Ireland - call cost?

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Ukap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone in UK & Ireland - call cost?

Expat lived in Florida for 30 years. I have iphone on ATT unlocked.
Will be traveling in UK and Ireland for 3 weeks. Can you recommend mobile sim that will not be expensive for me to call back to the USA? A couple of years ago I used Tmobile Uk prepaid and it cost 5p a minute. Is that deal still available?

Also suggestions on how my friends and family in the USA can call me on a UK number and it not cost them a ton of money. Usually it costs alot per minute to call a UK cell phone from the USA.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone in UK & Ireland - call cost?

There are vending machines at Heathrow that sell SIM cards for a few pounds. I got a Three SIM on a previous visit and that's what I use. Not sure what the rate to the US is but probably won't be super expensive - all the main UK mobilecos offer quite cheap international calling rates to the US.

I tend not to use international calling on my phone when in the UK though - rather I use Skype through hotel wi-fi or 3G (if the signal's good enough). Skype might be worth investigating for setting up a US number that routes through to your UK mobile for friends & family to call on. I have the opposite set up for my father, a UK number which is local to him and so free to call which routes to my US phone via Skype. It costs a few cents a minute for me to receive calls from the UK that way plus a few dollars a year to maintain the number.