Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which mobile phone?

Which mobile phone?

Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Dion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which mobile phone?

Can anyone advise me on the best deal i can get for a mobile in Florida which i can use to call England...I also want to send texts and picture texts if possible, maybe even a video....They do seem a little behind on the phone technology here for some reason but i'm sure there must be a good phone package out there...Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which mobile phone?

Originally Posted by Dion
Can anyone advise me on the best deal i can get for a mobile in Florida which i can use to call England...I also want to send texts and picture texts if possible, maybe even a video....They do seem a little behind on the phone technology here for some reason but i'm sure there must be a good phone package out there...Thanks.
T-mobile and cingular are the only GSM networks, which you need if you want to send texts to and from the UK. You can't send pictures or videos internationaly, or even across networks....this is also the case in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immunise
T-mobile and cingular are the only GSM networks, which you need if you want to send texts to and from the UK. You can't send pictures or videos internationaly, or even across networks....this is also the case in the UK.
And probably can't get those features on a pay as you go...so might need a credit history to get a mobile phone over here on contract...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:54 am
ImHere

We brought a Motorola v600 with us from the UK and got a T-Mobile pre pay sim card here ($70). It works the same as a UK mobile account with texts etc.

Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:18 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

I have a Verizon phone and text messages to / from the UK work fine. 15c each to send (international), 2c to recieve.

I pay 5.5c to the call the UK from my cell phone. I have MCI at home and they issue a calling card (same 5.5c to call UK). I program in memory of my cell phone the 1-800-8888-000 number with a few pauses, my card number, my pin and the number.

Some cell phones won't allow such a long number in memory like :

1-800-8888-000ppp770-999-9999ppp1234pp01144207999999 but you can program you MCI card with numbers in memory held in your MCI account.

(*91 thru *99) can be programmed with any number so you program your phone with

1-800-8888-000ppp770-999-9999ppp1234pp*91 which will fit into most memories.

The advantage of MCI calling card given free with your home account is that it can be used from a hotel in the USA to call back to the UK (same 5.5c) or if you are IN the UK, you can call the USA for the same 5.5c from any mobile or hotel phone there too.

Has worked for me for years and years...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on T-Mobile pre paid in Florida, text to UK is fine and cheap, I wouldn't recommend you do a lot of calling though its $1 a minute or therabouts. If you must call the UK on your mobile, the best bet is to get a prepaid card from Walgreens or somewhere and go through that.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:30 pm
Sahuaro

[QUOTE=Dion]Can anyone advise me on the best deal i can get for a mobile in Florida which i can use to call EnglandQUOTE]

Why do you want to use a mobile to call England? Just curious.

Last edited by Sahuaro; Apr 16th 2005 at 10:55 pm.

Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dan725
I'm on T-Mobile pre paid in Florida, text to UK is fine and cheap, I wouldn't recommend you do a lot of calling though its $1 a minute or therabouts. If you must call the UK on your mobile, the best bet is to get a prepaid card from Walgreens or somewhere and go through that.
or go online n check the absolute millions of prepaid cards,but check all the little add ons
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

britchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dion
I went with Tracfone. Really cheap, it's only about $20 every two months if you don't use a lot of minutes. I can send texts to my friends in England, and call them also. I'd definately reccommend it.