Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mmr...........

Mmr...........

Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:45 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Mmr...........

Hello guys

I made an appointment with my nurse to discuss my vaccinations.

I told her from my understanding of the sheet, that I needed Tetanus, diptheria and MMR

Well she gave me tetanus and diptheria, one of which was orally (yack!), but she wasnt so sure for the MMR and would get back to me on the MMR. Me being 26 was what left her unsure, as its usually given to kiddies.

So Im guessing it must be ok as its on the sheet, but who here has actually had an MMR at the medical?

Cheerio

Lee
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mmr...........

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hello guys

I told her from my understanding of the sheet, that I needed Tetanus, diptheria and MMR

Well she gave me tetanus and diptheria, one of which was orally (yack!), but she wasnt so sure for the MMR and would get back to me on the MMR. Me being 26 was what left her unsure, as its usually given to kiddies.

So Im guessing it must be ok as its on the sheet, but who here has actually had an MMR at the medical?

Cheerio

Lee

I had the MMR at the visa medical in London cos I didn't have it as a kid. If I remember its cheaper to have it done at your local than to shell out for it on the day.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:54 pm
Fm Mitcham 2 Clearwater F

Slartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura about

I had the MRR jab at my medical in July, my doctor couldn't find my records so I had the whole lot in one go. No side effects as yet, yet,yet,yet...
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have not had the MMR, but before I left the country, my doctor did blood tests that showed I didnt need it. They printed me off the full results so that I can show the reason why I havent had it at future AOS medicals/interviews.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

braddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MMR

When I went for my immigration medical I couldnt prove that I had received any of my childhood vaccinations in England, well you cant really can you. So I had to have them all again. Great for the doctor but not great for my pocket or my health, felt really lousy afterwards. One funny thing though was that you have to have a Tetanus shot for immigration purposes, and the whole of Florida was out of Tetanus. Hope Bin Laden never heard about that one!!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Cheerio

Lee
Hi Lee,
Me and my Hubby both had the MMR at the medical in London (expensive!). Our son watched on grinning and laughing because of course he didn't need it. I seem to recall describing at the time how the olympic gold medalist in Javlin administerd it! So if the cost wasn't enough to make you get it from your GP... Fatima Whitbread in nurse shoe's should be!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:12 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

How much was it??????????????
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Stevie is an unknown quantity at this point

MMR is 30 pounds at the visa medical. I had it done this week - I was born in 1962 when male babies were immunised against measles, but not mumps or rubella.

If you don't have records of immunisations you can have your antibody titres tested to see if you have immunity. Don't know how much this costs.

Stevie
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stevie
MMR is 30 pounds at the visa medical.

I seem to remember slaughtering my credit card even further with the jabs (as if the interview fee's and medical were not enough ), and £90 springs to mind. This was for 2 x MMR and 2 x DT.

I wish someone had posted this to me when I asked... in great big flashing neon lights, font 872, underlined, BOLD!

**** GO TO YOUR GP - SHOW THEM THE LIST AND INSIST ****

(There! Hopefully I've stopped Fatima from stabbing another £30 out of another poor defenceless ex-pat-to-be!)
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Well she gave me tetanus and diptheria, one of which was orally (yack!),
Lee

First time u objected to oral from a nurse !

I had MMR, the nurse asked the Doctor, I showed the letter I had from the embassy & they injected me.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:53 pm
Wabbit Lord

What makes u think I rejected her, she was just no good, hence (yack)!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:01 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Hello guys

Cheerio

Lee
My doctor had a similar view when i showed him the embassy paperwork he was ok about it and said the MMR would do me no harm. I had it as a kid and then again this summer at 32. I just got boosters of all the required innoculations from my GP(for free) then he gave me a letter detailing them. that worked for me and i didnt need anything at the medical. Several people i was there with did not do that and got stiffed for the injections at £30 each. You will most likely have to have them so get it free from your GP would be my advice.

regards,

Duncan
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

You wont be complaining about the cost of those jabs once you get over here......got a 9 month old, and each time I take him for one of his well baby check ups they stick 3 or 4 needles in him and I leave with a bill for 4 or 500 dollars OUCH! Fortunately (in Texas at least, don't know about where else) medical insurance is obliged to cover the whole cost of kids vaccinations up to 6 years old

ps - I had the MMR at the medical too
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

Hi, this vaccination business is confusing me.

At the London medical for a K1 I was told that although I've been immunised against Rubella and Measles apparently because of my age (27) I've not had the Mumps, which came as a bit of shock to me because my GP had insisted that I had when I went to get my vaccination records from him.

Anyhow, at the medical they didn't offer to give me the MMR there and then as I'd had two out of the three. Instead I was advised to have a blood test done to determine whether or not I am already immune to Mumps, the Doc told me that most UK adults are anyway you see.

So, I'm now in the US, wedding is set for 23rd December and I am wondering exactly how I go about getting this test done and when will I need to have the results for?

Is this something any doctor can do or do I need to visit a USCIS approved surgery?

Do I need either the proof of immunity or the MMR jab for when I file for AOS, or by the time I get an AOS interview?

I also wonder about this vaccination record I've heard mention of. Is that something I should have already (and don't)? Strikes me as odd that when you have a medical for the K1 and they go through all your immunisation records that they don't help you out with that then.

thanks

pinK