Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mmmm I love....

Mmmm I love....

Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:20 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mmmm I love....

going out for a curry on a cold night. Well done Houston, you've done me proud. Now, what I need next is proper fish and chips, not pub fish and chips. I'm talking proper soggy chips here. Any suggestions, or do I need to buy a deep fat fryer?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mmmm I love....

Originally Posted by Weeze
going out for a curry on a cold night. Well done Houston, you've done me proud. Now, what I need next is proper fish and chips, not pub fish and chips. I'm talking proper soggy chips here. Any suggestions, or do I need to buy a deep fat fryer?
You could bake them and leave them out for a bit to get soggy
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:31 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You could bake them and leave them out for a bit to get soggy
I'd better get Heston Bluementhal's scent of the chip shop as well!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:34 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, Baker St is the closest I've found to fish and chips....and its not that close! I tried "localising" myself to Catfish Mikes on Mason, but he's just gone out of business.....

Its one of those "one day I'm gonna open a real chippie here and make a fortune out of all those food-homesick expats" sort of dreams I have. The main drawback to my cunning plan to billiionairehood is that I can't make proper batter Which is kind of serious. Last time home I tried asking the fish shop guy for his recipe and got the same look you'd expect if I'd asked if I could have carnal knowledge of his wife. Only worse!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:26 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nope, Baker St is the closest I've found to fish and chips....and its not that close! I tried "localising" myself to Catfish Mikes on Mason, but he's just gone out of business.....

Its one of those "one day I'm gonna open a real chippie here and make a fortune out of all those food-homesick expats" sort of dreams I have. The main drawback to my cunning plan to billiionairehood is that I can't make proper batter Which is kind of serious. Last time home I tried asking the fish shop guy for his recipe and got the same look you'd expect if I'd asked if I could have carnal knowledge of his wife. Only worse!
the best batter in the world is the most basic one..

self raising flour, pinch of salt and enough cold water to create a nice thick batter, dip your fish in it and put straight into a deep fat fryer until gold brown..and voila..perfect fish..
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The trick is in having them douse the lot in loads of salt and vinegar, wrapping them up in news print (no polystyrene tray!) and walking home with it tucked under your arm.

Damn, hungry and mouth watering now!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:04 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The closest one to you I know from personal experience is in Santa Barbara, California, USA.

It might be a bit far to pop out to on a Friday night on the way back from work, but on the plus side it is very much the real deal.

http://www.macssb.com/
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob
The closest one to you I know from personal experience is in Santa Barbara, California, USA.

It might be a bit far to pop out to on a Friday night on the way back from work, but on the plus side it is very much the real deal.

http://www.macssb.com/
OMG look at those sausage rolls.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a good one in the centre of middlesbro if you are ever in town...going to get my fix of cod n chips with curry sauce - can't see me getting any in Eureka! (or a parmo come to think of it but only true boro lads n lassess know what that is)
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:14 am

Barnicles. MMMMM, getting it in a fortnight and counting. It's in Stockton too.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah, but the best parmos are at Oscars in Guisborough!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Barnicles. MMMMM, getting it in a fortnight and counting. It's in Stockton too.
It was Barnicles I was writing about - the boro one! Enjoy your fish n chips - and your trip home as well
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Aaah, but the best parmos are at Oscars in Guisborough!
Ah well im in Ormesby so a quick trip to Guisbro is in order in the next few weeks!