Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Minimum Wage Increase On the Horizon?

Minimum Wage Increase On the Horizon?

Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:51 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase On the Horizon?

Originally Posted by Michael
That would significantly skew the statistics because holiday, summer, or seasonal workers are usually minimum wage and if that is 3% of the workforce during the year, then 4.7% becomes 1.7% if you only consider other workers. Also the Bureau doesn't count farm workers when calculating unemployment rates so they may not include them in the minimum wage count either. If they are counted, that could go either way since most are paid by the amount they pick and good pickers will make above minimum wage and workers that don't pick enough to meet minimum wage are usually not rehired during the following season but minimum wage for farm workers is lower than other workers.
I don't see why you should not count holiday, summer, or seasonal workers as workers. After all, many people are living on whatever work they can get, even if it's two or more part-time or temporary jobs. They still count.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase On the Horizon?

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I don't see why you should not count holiday, summer, or seasonal workers as workers. After all, many people are living on whatever work they can get, even if it's two or more part-time or temporary jobs. They still count.
They can be included but does that give an accurate picture of the economy? Many are only working to pick up extra change. For instance my aunt used to only work during the Christmas holidays and only make a small amount of money even though her husband makes plenty of money, many students have college paid by daddy, grants, or loans and only work during the summer for money to spend on parties, spring breaks, and luxuries, and many retirees only work part time to supplement their pensions. Therefore many are in minimum wage jobs because they don't want to or can't work that much. Even if minimum wage increased by 25% for them, we are not talking about a lot of money. Unfortunately there is no way to determine which minimum wage part timers want to work more hours but just can't find a job.

In my opinion, percentage at minimum wage, medium income, and unemployment rates would ideally like to based on the number of people that want to work full time since that reflects how well the economy is performing more accurately.

However I do agree that it can be counted either way depending on what you are trying to determine.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 6th 2013 at 2:29 am.