Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Military Recruiters

Military Recruiters

Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Military Recruiters

My son is about to start 10th grade and this morning we received a packet of about 10 forms to fill in.

On the back of one of the forms is a box to be ticked if you don't want your child's name and details forwarding to military recruiters. I only really noticed it because of a thread posted a while back on this site. My friend hadn't noticed it and thanked me for letting her know. I can't believe High Schools 'are requested' to comply with a request by the military to supply them with a directory including details of 15 year olds.

The form will be mailed back to them first thing in the morning.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Military Recruiters

Originally Posted by mandpete
My son is about to start 10th grade and this morning we received a packet of about 10 forms to fill in.

On the back of one of the forms is a box to be ticked if you don't want your child's name and details forwarding to military recruiters. I only really noticed it because of a thread posted a while back on this site. My friend hadn't noticed it and thanked me for letting her know. I can't believe High Schools 'are requested' to comply with a request by the military to supply them with a directory including details of 15 year olds.

Couldn't agree more!

Another thing that raises my hackles is the fact that my sons - including the one whose green card name check appears to have got lost in some big black hole - have had to register for Selective Service. Bloody cheek, that!!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete

So it's a YES then.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:59 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

We used to get phone calls from recruiters for my step daughter when she turned 18, she used to tell them she'd only sign up if she and her gay friends (she's not) could have their nails done every week.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:08 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Couldn't agree more!

Another thing that raises my hackles is the fact that my sons - including the one whose green card name check appears to have got lost in some big black hole - have had to register for Selective Service. Bloody cheek, that!!
Why is it a cheek, you knew, or should have known, that it was a requirement when you came.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So it's a YES then.
With a PS that I also have a 9 year old if they want her details.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:19 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't this all part of the No Child Left Behind deal?
Recruiters here are right up (or down) there with telesales people.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:38 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Why is it a cheek, you knew, or should have known, that it was a requirement when you came.
Not picking on you Elvira but I tend to agree with the above - if you don't agree with the rules in a country don't move there.
Whether the rules are reasonable or not is irrelevant I'm afraid.

Hope you had a nice trip home.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:40 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Wasn't this all part of the No Child Left Behind deal?
Recruiters here are right up (or down) there with telesales people.
In the cannon fodder production line recruiters should be well down the list of people to hate, and besides its the bloody army people are signing up for - if they are expecting a holiday camp they have no-one to blame but themselves when they end up in Baghdad
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Not picking on you Elvira but I tend to agree with the above - if you don't agree with the rules in a country don't move there.
Whether the rules are reasonable or not is irrelevant I'm afraid.

Hope you had a nice trip home.

I wonder how many people who move here realise that their kids might be required to fight for the US one day, even if they are neither citizens nor permanent residents!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many people who move here realise that their kids might be required to fight for the US one day, even if they are neither citizens nor permanent residents!
Not true .....Most non immigrant visas are exempt ...
unless they become out of status ..then they must file ...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:32 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Not true .....Most non immigrant visas are exempt ...
unless they become out of status ..then they must file ...

Males aged 18-26 who apply for adjustment of status/permanent residence have to register. Seeing that no one can tell us what happened to our son's name check, it could take years for him to get his GC - but he could still be called up...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Males aged 18-26 who apply for adjustment of status/permanent residence have to register. Seeing that no one can tell us what happened to our son's name check, it could take years for him to get his GC - but he could still be called up...
Thats not what you said ....I expect his was filed automatically when the AOS was applied for ...As is right ...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:41 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
In the cannon fodder production line recruiters should be well down the list of people to hate, and besides its the bloody army people are signing up for - if they are expecting a holiday camp they have no-one to blame but themselves when they end up in Baghdad
I've seen videos of them hosting pizza parties where they get school kids to come and play America's Army (the online game), and the recruiters try to get them to sign up. They make them think the game is like reality. There are many many stories of them conning kids or helping them cheat to get accepted - not cool.

Now if someone joins entirely of their own free will, thats different. When you join the army, you give up a lot of things and your job is to fight where the army sends you, no questions asked (unless of course the war is illegal).
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:59 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats not what you said ....I expect his was filed automatically when the AOS was applied for ...As is right ...
What do you mean that's not what I said? The point I made was that someone may be called up to fight even though they are neither a citizen nor a permanent resident. I am not aware of any other country that has the nerve to do this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.