Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mexico's drug war

Mexico's drug war

Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexico's drug war

Originally Posted by mexibrit
I agree and by the same token a Mexican border town is hardly representative of the rest of Mexico.
Aye, most people I know who have gone to Mexico, and not some border/resort has really loved it, even know some folks in Maine who went for a couple of operations down there as it was cheaper than in the US and just as good a service.

Hard place to get a visa to stay long term apparently though, so I wonder how all those US retirees manage it.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, most people I know who have gone to Mexico, and not some border/resort has really loved it, even know some folks in Maine who went for a couple of operations down there as it was cheaper than in the US and just as good a service.

Hard place to get a visa to stay long term apparently though, so I wonder how all those US retirees manage it.
It does amuse me that the complaints from the Mexican community about the US Immigration laws when their own is more restrictive.

US retirees, just have to show sufficient income. A mutiplier of the day rate for labourers, not a lot.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
As long as you have an income stream, as Boiler says, it is not so hard for retirees:

Mexican Residency
FM3 Nonimmigrant Visa: There are nearly a dozen different types of FM3 visas, including business designations that have been created since the passing of NAFTA. Retirees will want a rentista FM3. Basically, this is a one-year permit to reside in Mexico. Requirements include that you show proof of income, the amount of which changes constantly, but you can expect it to be less than $1,000 per month, and half that for dependents. The monthly income requirement is reduced by 50% if you own and reside in your Mexican home.The document must be renewed each year as long as you continue to reside in Mexico. Basically, the FM3 is designed for those who wish to live in Mexico at least part time. The specifics change from time to time, so be sure to check with your nearest Mexican consulate.

FM2 Immigrant Visa: The FM2 (immigrante rentista) visa is designed for those who intend to permanently reside in Mexico. Qualifications are only slightly more stringent than FM3 requirements. For instance, you must show a higher monthly income, although, again, if you own property in Mexico, that amount is halved. Essentially, the FM2 is like a green card, or resident alien visa. It entitles you to many of the rights of a Mexican citizen (except voting) and entitles you to work. (You may also work on an FM3 visa.) Officially, after five years of living in Mexico and successfully meeting the requirements of FM2 status (including restricted time out of Mexico), you may make a declaratoria de inmigrado.

Inmigrado status does not require you give up your native citizenship, but holders may freely work and remain in Mexico without annual renewals of immigration papers.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100314/...mexico_murders

This takes this into a whole different ballgame.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:53 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Time to legalize it ALL, Tax the hell out of it and sell it at the pharmacy/liquor stores. You instantly take the criminal element out of it, state makes a shitpot of money and it can be legally controled as is booze.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100314/...mexico_murders

This takes this into a whole different ballgame.
is it just me, or is anyone else having problems trying to maximize that article?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mexibrit
I agree and by the same token a Mexican border town is hardly representative of the rest of Mexico.
Agreed. Other examples, the first place in France you get to on the ferry is Calais; which is a total dump (good for shopping for booze though). If you come to the UK from Ireland via the ferry from Dublin the first place you get to is Holyhead, which is enough to make you want to turn around and get on the next boat. Take the train into Essex and the first stop is Romford. Take the car from the south and the first stops are Tilbury and Basildon, which combined make Buffalo NY look like Royal Tunbridge Wells.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:25 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
Time to legalize it ALL, Tax the hell out of it and sell it at the pharmacy/liquor stores. You instantly take the criminal element out of it, state makes a shitpot of money and it can be legally controled as is booze.
I've been (not entirely enthusiastically, I must confess) gradually coming to the same conclusion. It's not just us, either. The other month I was chatting with some Interpol / Europol types, who were of a similar view. There's even an outfit called LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

If you want a laugh, read the preface to the 2009 UNODC World Drug Report. It's one of the most poorly "argued" screeds I've seen in a long time.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Agreed. Other examples, the first place in France you get to on the ferry is Calais; which is a total dump (good for shopping for booze though). If you come to the UK from Ireland via the ferry from Dublin the first place you get to is Holyhead, which is enough to make you want to turn around and get on the next boat. Take the train into Essex and the first stop is Romford. Take the car from the south and the first stops are Tilbury and Basildon, which combined make Buffalo NY look like Royal Tunbridge Wells.
As unpleasant as Essex is, it is hardly the same as the Northern Border towns of Mexico.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Mexico for the first time last year. I loved it! Absolutely loved it. Want to go back and I will next year.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:31 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I went to Mexico for the first time last year. I loved it! Absolutely loved it. Want to go back and I will next year.
I went to Monterrey last year with work. Was apprehensive having read the various sensationalist news articles but I didn't encounter any problems. Just went to and from work for a few days and did touristy stuff on my own on my day off and had a blast. Employees of my company go there all the time - was chatting to a guy yesterday who spent last week there and enjoyed himself and we have a lass here who returned recently after being on a one year placement there.

Would go back there in a heartbeat, although I know that there are plenty of places closer to the border that I won't be spending my holidays.

You should go on City-Data and see what some of the clowns on there spout about how shite and dangerous the UK is. Would make anyone think twice about getting off the plane at LHR for fear of being murdered to death before they made it to the baggage carousel.

Last edited by tonrob; Mar 26th 2010 at 9:35 am.