Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

I know there is a visa forum but it's not the visa as much as the experience of going to Mexico for it that I am interested in, has anyone done it?

Hubby just had his H1B renewed and we need to get the visa in the passports. We are going back to the UK in February next year for my brother in laws wedding, and we didn't want to have to go to London to get it done as we'll be heading to Liverpool and getting the visa's in London will mean getting off the overnight flight with four jetlagged and no doubt grumpy children, taking them into London for the visa appt which took four hours last time and then traveling up to Liverpool. It will no doubt be really cold, which after four years in Texas at that point, will probably come as a bit of a shock to the kids and make them even more grumpy

The lawyer mentioned Matamoros, Mexico and suggested we could get the revalidation done there, possibly in just two days so now we are thinking of driving across Texas, stopping at a few places on the way to break the trip up for the kids and then hopping over to Mexico for a few days.

I wondered if anyone had renewed their visa's outside of the country, but not in the UK?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:43 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexico for Visa Revalidation?

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I know there is a visa forum but it's not the visa as much as the experience of going to Mexico for it that I am interested in, has anyone done it?

Hubby just had his H1B renewed and we need to get the visa in the passports. We are going back to the UK in February next year for my brother in laws wedding, and we didn't want to have to go to London to get it done as we'll be heading to Liverpool and getting the visa's in London will mean getting off the overnight flight with four jetlagged and no doubt grumpy children, taking them into London for the visa appt which took four hours last time and then traveling up to Liverpool. It will no doubt be really cold, which after four years in Texas at that point, will probably come as a bit of a shock to the kids and make them even more grumpy

The lawyer mentioned Matamoros, Mexico and suggested we could get the revalidation done there, possibly in just two days so now we are thinking of driving across Texas, stopping at a few places on the way to break the trip up for the kids and then hopping over to Mexico for a few days.

I wondered if anyone had renewed their visa's outside of the country, but not in the UK?
No, but I'll be very interested in the replies you get. We too have our H1-B renewal papers, but not new visa stamps in our passports. Right now I'm undecided whether to get the stamps when we're in London in May, or to just wait until our AOS comes through (which could be weeks, months or years away!). Mexico sounds like a nice alternative!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know of people that have gone to Canada to have their visa's renewed. Someone on here a few weeks ago said that you do not have to go outside the US for renewal anymore. Sorry can't be more specific than that.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:47 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a few years, but I had one H1B renewed in Vancouver, and one in Poland. Same day service each place, although an Infopass appointment was necessary for Canada. The London Embassy once told me that I could send it to them from the US for a six-week turnaround, but that didn't suit my timing. And good luck finding out whether that advice was good or not.

Issues with border crossing - do you or do you not give up your I-94, and what happens if there is an event that shuts down the embassy when you need to be there? I just took my chances and it worked for me.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably not an issue for you, but we did have someone posting on here who was Pakistani I think, if you need Security Clearance you would not want to be somewhere you were going to be stuck for a few months.

Personally I would do the UK, just in case something nasty happened.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Probably not an issue for you, but we did have someone posting on here who was Pakistani I think, if you need Security Clearance you would not want to be somewhere you were going to be stuck for a few months.

Personally I would do the UK, just in case something nasty happened.
Yes, this is the concern, that something would go awry and we would be stuck there.

The idea of dragging my kids, the younger two boys in particular around London after a nights flying does not thrill me though, in fact it would probably compare to wanting to stick pins in my eyes It would be easier if we had more time but hubby only gets ten days and I don't want to waste time in London that we could be spending with family.

It would be so much easier if we could just send the passports to the embassy which is I believe what used to happen, I guess the fact that they have cleared us already when hubby first got the H1b is not enough, getting me out of the country so they can ask me three questions at that little window at the counter in their Embassy in London is obviously vital for the security of Texas
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We had to book our appointment 40 days in advance at the Embassy in London last summer. There is no chance of just walking in and expecting it to be done. We then waited 7 days for all 4 passports and visas to be mailed to a UK (my parents) address.

Check this web page for waiting times.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
We had to book our appointment 40 days in advance at the Embassy in London last summer. There is no chance of just walking in and expecting it to be done. We then waited 7 days for all 4 passports and visas to be mailed to a UK (my parents) address.

Check this web page for waiting times.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php

Certainly in our experience Canada is much quicker, and shouldn't be a problem with British H1bs/H4s. We had an appointment at the Vancouver consulate on a Friday morning and got the PPs back in the afternoon. Had to make an appointment, of course, but AFAIR that was straightforward too.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It would be so much easier if we could just send the passports to the embassy which is I believe what used to happen, I guess the fact that they have cleared us already when hubby first got the H1b is not enough, getting me out of the country so they can ask me three questions at that little window at the counter in their Embassy in London is obviously vital for the security of Texas
Are you sure you can't do it this way? I mailed my passport to DC for my last visa renewal (I thought you could do that for a H1 renewal....)?

I traveled to Juarez in Mexico in 1999, to get a visa because I was flying to Scotland for an interview (and it was too far to London to do this in the same trip). Went to the library to read up on Juarez. Line #1 on the Fodor's page said "If you find yourself in Juarez, leave as quickly as you can". Said it all - scary place.

But, I would definitely take a road trip to Mexico in your situation (if the mailing route won't work), just not Juarez!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Are you sure you can't do it this way? I mailed my passport to DC for my last visa renewal (I thought you could do that for a H1 renewal....)?
Are you talking about renewing H1b status, or renewing the H1b visa? As far as I know, the latter can only be done outside the US.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are you talking about renewing H1b status, or renewing the H1b visa? As far as I know, the latter can only be done outside the US.
Once a visa is activated, you have status and that's what you have to ensure is valid at all times.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:44 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Once a visa is activated, you have status and that's what you have to ensure is valid at all times.
You need a visa to cross the border, and status to stay within the border. The OP needs new visas as she is recrossing the border.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:44 pm
Homebody

I don't think you. The visa is only needed if you wish to travel outside the US.

It's the underlying status which allows you to reside here.

Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You need a visa to cross the border, and status to stay within the border. The OP needs new visas as she is recrossing the border.
For example, a Green Card is not a visa. It's a document that proves status. The visa was the stamp in the passport that activated status.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:00 pm
Homebody

For example, a Green Card is not a visa. It's a document that proves status. The visa was the stamp in the passport that activated status.
Yes, but once it has been activated and the person is in the US, the underlying status can be renewed without renewing the visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.