Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Men writing Christmas Cards?

Wikiposts

Men writing Christmas Cards?

Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Men writing Christmas Cards?

Originally Posted by Karen68
Just off now to the Post Office to send all the cards off. Husband arrived home last night just in time to write his mother's card and for his absence I made him also parcel up a package to his family that I had already lovingly wrapped. I picked Lego (not 'legos' - it drives me up the wall to hear it call that over here. Lego is singular and plural as far as I am concerned, like 'sheep') to send to the kiddies as it's cheaper over here and light on the scales.

to all of you who do write your own cards. I shall keep a list this year of who bothered to send us one from his side, and ruthlessly cull those who don't from next year's mailing.
Yeah I hate when people say Legos too, but think I discussed it with someone already and we found it should be Lego bricks, so neither Lego or Legos was right really

As for cards, my husband never sends cards for any reason to anyone I like cards!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I write the cards to my family and my OH family. Mainly for the reason that if my OH were to write them then no one would be able to read what was written in them and the mail service would have real problems deciphering the address on the envelope.
One weird thing I do is I sign ones to my family with my name first then my OH, son and daughter and the ones to my OH family I sign his name first then mine, then son and then daughter. No clue why as everyone knows I write them!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:19 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

For the last two years we've had photo cards made up in that quintessential American way (that people in the UK tend to snicker at), and I've addressed the envelopes and put stamps on. Neither my OH or I have bothered writing on any of them as there are already printed messages, and we've found people are very likely to keep the photo long after Christmas as a keepsake... which has made me feel slightly better about the cost/environmental impact of Christmas cards.

This year I'm panicking because I haven't organised jack sh.t yet and Christmas is only a few weeks away... eek!

OH is in charge of making sure his family's/friends' addresses are up to date. If I don't have an address, they don't get a card!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:23 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gingerert
For the last two years we've had photo cards made up in that quintessential American way (that people in the UK tend to snicker at),
Actually, we Brits "snigger". "Snickering" we leave to the yanks.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:29 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Actually, we Brits "snigger". "Snickering" we leave to the yanks.

I feel suitably corrected.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:38 am
Frequent Flyer

Carolina Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nethead
Yeah I hate when people say Legos too, but think I discussed it with someone already and we found it should be Lego bricks, so neither Lego or Legos was right really

As for cards, my husband never sends cards for any reason to anyone I like cards!
My pet hate is not Lego, Legos or Lego Bricks but Math. It should be Maths, the full word is Mathematics not Mathamatic.

Wow that made me feel better, and the wife does the cards.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carolina Tiger
My pet hate is not Lego, Legos or Lego Bricks but Math. It should be Maths, the full word is Mathematics not Mathamatic.

Wow that made me feel better, and the wife does the cards.
Yeah I'm with you on the Math one too. Maybe this should go in the pet peeves thread
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahG
I write the cards to my family and my OH family. Mainly for the reason that if my OH were to write them then no one would be able to read what was written in them and the mail service would have real problems deciphering the address on the envelope.
One weird thing I do is I sign ones to my family with my name first then my OH, son and daughter and the ones to my OH family I sign his name first then mine, then son and then daughter. No clue why as everyone knows I write them!
I sign ours exactly the same way. I suppose I put his name first on his family cards as he is their family and I am not, and vice versa.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Karen68
I sign ours exactly the same way. I suppose I put his name first on his family cards as he is their family and I am not, and vice versa.
hmmm...I put my husband's name since the man's name is usually first, ie Mr and Mrs John Brown...if I didn't buy, write and mail cards, no-one would ever see another card...
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:36 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I always understood that if Fred is writing the card, then the signature is Mary and Fred. But if Mary is doing the writing, it should be Fred and Mary -- the person actually wielding the pen goes last.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:52 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I always understood that if Fred is writing the card, then the signature is Mary and Fred. But if Mary is doing the writing, it should be Fred and Mary -- the person actually wielding the pen goes last.
It does make a huge difference.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So who sticks with the stock message in the card?

I've noticed a lot of cards we get, they're just signed, not even a to Bob and company.

The missus would be like that, but I tend to scribble a personal message to friends/family and get her to at least put who we're sending the card to...or why bother I say.

And what do you lot do with the photocards? Feel guilty about binning them after the holidays, but it's not like you can even use them as a bookmark.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:01 am
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by Bob
And what do you lot do with the photocards? Feel guilty about binning them after the holidays, but it's not like you can even use them as a bookmark.
They make good firelighters.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:38 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I call upon the women of the world to stop writing cards.
But what other useful purpose could they serve?

You are going to be wanting to drive and vote next!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:51 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carolina Tiger
I get into trouble for shouting at the TV any time someone says that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.